Replacing a hinge cover on Flare tip Super speed?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Misphit, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

I have a 1958 E2 flare tip super speed in amazing shape except for a missing hinge cover. I also have a pretty brassed 55 superspeed with two immaculate hinge covers. I would like to take the cover off of the brassed one and put it on the 58. Does anyone know of a way to remove the covers without damaging them? A google search didn't provide me an answer so I turn to the vast knowledge here.

I could do trial and error but want to keep the second cover available in case I have the same issue in the future.

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is an interesting problem. I hope someone has a solution for you. I have seen fatboys and slims disassembled, but not a regular super speed. Good luck.

3. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Razor Emporium can help

4. theunnamed

theunnamed Well-Known Member

Sorry for it but could you please show me which part is the hinge cover ?

5. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

If your referring to the end caps then they were originally soldered on. You can remove them by carefully applying heat. I did this with my 40's superspeed using a butane lighter.
    Good luck

6. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Thanks!!

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    This makes sense. I read the thread wrong. I thought you wanted to replace one of the silo doors. DUH! It sounds like an easy fix now. Good luck.

8. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Getting out my soldering iron.....