Replacing An Endcap

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Who knows how to do this? I have a razor that is missing an endcap and I want to replace it with one from another razor -- unless somebody out there has a spare one they're willing to let go of?

2. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

I've never done it, but heard to put the endcap over a flame and it will loosen the endcap so you can pull it off to put on another. I don't know the process for putting an endcap on.

3. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I've tried the flame and it didn't work for me. They are almost crimped on as well, at least on the Fat Boy I was trying to fix.

I think a light coat of epoxy would hold them on.

4. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

This is what I thought, but what about the removal?

5. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

I did the flame trick and it dropped right off, they're soldered on but there also might be some crimping involved.
    I used epoxy to reattach it after clean off the excess solder.

6. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I'm going to get a candle and try this again tomorrow. What razor are you trying to fix Rick?

7. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

A 1946 Ranger Tech that I just picked up real cheap on a "Buy It Now". I think the seller had just listed it, so I was in the right place at the right time. :cool:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

Yea, I saw that one for like 11 pounds right? I passed cuz of the endcap issue.

9. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I wish I knew....I had a few end caps after a frankinrazor project. My accidentaly came off as I was trying to straighten the balance out. Glued it back with epoxy making sure i didnt get the epoxy get into the silo door hinges(yeah i did that too) Sold it promptly on ebay;)

10. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

:eek: I´ve never seen a 1946 Ranger Tech. I though, he comes only in 1941? :confused: Is he Made in USA?

11. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

umm..............my Ranger Tech doesnt have ANY endcaps :confused:

12. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

That's a weird one Rick. Are you sure it isn't a Milord with bad lighting?

13. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

For some reason I thought I remembered something about a 1946 Ranger Tech with the only difference being the the end caps. Krumholz doesn't mention it, though, and I cannot remember where I read about it. It is basically a nickel 1946 Milord.

14. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Duh! Here it is. In the B&B wiki.

Gillette Ranger Tech

15. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

And YOU guys call yourselves collectors?!! :happy102

But seriously, what about that endcap fellas? I'm sure I can figure a way to attach it, and I know I can find a beat up razor to take one from, but how do I get it off?

It was £18.95 (about $27 USD) shipped. You passed on a rarity because of a missing endcap? :confused:

Perhaps you really passed because of a certain Aristocrat Jr. and Executive? ;)

16. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

I have heard the same method of using a flame to melt the solder. You could probably hold the endcap area of a beat-up old 40's style over a candle flame while putting a little outward pressure from the edge of the back sides of the endcap with a standard screwdriver. I'll bet it would just pop right off. It doesn't take that much heat to soften solder. Much less heat than that which would harm nickel or brass.

17. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Thanks Guido, I will give that a shot.

18. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

Well, I have seen a few of those and don' think there all that rare, but if it wasn't missing an endcap, I probably would have picked it up.