Resurrection of Jayaruh #156 (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jimjo1031, Aug 20, 2017.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Yeah, you're probably wondering, what is it with Jim. The other day after I cleaned up my table from working on something, I noticed my young pup of four months old walking around with a chew toy. And then it's when I did a double take and saw that his new chew toy was one of my favorite brushes made, by @Jayaruh with the 30mm Tuxedo knot. It must have fallen off the table, and then I found out how quickly I can get out of the chair and chase him down. Luckily he is pretty obedient and gave it to me when I extended my hand to his mouth. But boy was I pretty p!$$ed off and he knew it, no beating, but a good yelling job. After I calmed down, and took three Aleve tablets, for moving too fast with a bad back, I just started thinking that maybe I can save the handle. Luckily the knot was OK, just missing a few fibers, but the handle wouldn't look the same any more and would need a good amount of putty. So, I went to work on it and this is how it came out. Jim will be making me a replacement handle soon........

After I got it out of his mouth........
    j1.jpg

After removing the knot........
    j2.jpg

The knot which I just received yesterday, good timing........
    j9.jpg

Initial shaping of the handle. I knew sort of what I wanted it to look like, but still not sure it could be done........
    j3.jpg

After some hand sanding and added putty........
    j4.jpg

Looking better, but still thinking of it's final look........
    j5.jpg

I decided to not do the flare look on top, so I went ahead to make it flush with the ferrule........
    j6.jpg

After spraying flat black to check for high and low spots, also used it as a primer as I was out of it........ j7.jpg

Finished it off with deep blue as the color and lots of clear coats to even it out. I didn't polish it yet, but I will later on........
    j8.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Good job, Jim. Nice knot, too. That puppy sure did a job on that handle. Looks like he really got into it. I'm sure he was enjoying himself, God bless his heart. You, however, were able to resurrect a beautiful brush from such a disaster. Congratulations.

AGHisBBS, Jim99, RyX and 2 others like this.
  3. jimjo1031

Thanks Jim. Honestly, I really wasn't sure how it would come out at the end, but it worked out pretty good. That badger knot is pretty dense with good backbone.

Jim99 and Zykris like this.
  4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Nice save Jim! I wish I could've seen the look on your face when you saw what the pup was chewing on though!
    :D

jimjo1031 likes this.
  5. jimjo1031

Thanks, I wonder what it looked like too.

Enrico likes this.
  6. RetLEO-07

IMG_1029.JPG

RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Honestly Jim, When I first was reading this, I was working very hard not to hurt myself laughing. :happy097: It reminded me of my son. I do a lot of wood working and my son got a hold of a claw hammer and when I got home from work, I knew it was bad when my wife said "Now don't be mad". He had used the claw end all over the top of the coffee table ... very distressed! We covered it with table cloth for about 5-7 years till the younger one grew, then made repairs. Nearly invisible and great for memories.

Great save!:D

AGHisBBS, Jim99, RyX and 2 others like this.
  8. jimjo1031

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  9. jimjo1031

I've done a few things when I was younger that thankfully my Dad was just a let it go type of guy. But very stern on his talking about it afterwards. Like using a straight razor of his and using it to cut branches to make slingshots.

AGHisBBS, Jim99, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  10. RetLEO-07

Oh man! :happy097:

Enrico and jimjo1031 like this.
  11. jimjo1031

Luckily at that time he was using a Gillette Flair Tip, but still........

Enrico likes this.
  12. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

Great job Jim. I keep my best brushes away from harm by storing them in individual boxes. When my dog bites into something, it's not a joke.

Jim99, jimjo1031 and Jayaruh like this.
  13. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

What's that knot? Dimensions? Source?

jimjo1031 likes this.
  14. jimjo1031

Got it on bidding, Ebay vendor shencheng1954. Badger, from the ferrule about a 24mm knot, 60mm loft. Ferrule diameter is close to 28mm. Not floppy, dense and makes a great lather. I have bought brushes from this seller before at very good prices.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    RyX likes this.
  15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Great restore! :happy088: It don't take a pup long to show his love for a new toy. I'm sure the entire time he was chewing on it he was thinking what a great guy you were for leaving this neat toy out for him.:)

jimjo1031 and RetLEO-07 like this.
  16. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

You did a great job Jim and saved one very chewed up brush!

jimjo1031 likes this.
  17. jimjo1031

Yeah, he kind of was walking around as if he was showing it off.

Jim99 likes this.
  18. jimjo1031

Thanks Jim.

Jim99 likes this.
  19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I guess a disposeABLE wouldn't be able to accomplish that :).

jimjo1031 likes this.
  20. jimjo1031

Not at all........

Paul Turner likes this.