Review: "Fat Cat" 3.25" handle/grip

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Oldschoolpaulie, Aug 28, 2016.

1. I have a number of safety razors, including a Razorock "Bamboozled" Rake. Though many of my razors are more expensive than the Razorock, this particular razor has become my favorite, and I always end up coming back to it no matter how many razors I buy and try.
    My beard must be more coarse or thick than most, because, despite reading from guys here who say they can get BBS in two or three passes, mine takes 6 passes and some touch up; and I've given up trying to get my upper lip and neck BBS. The Razorock Bamboozled Rake holds the blade at a very radical, aggressive angle, and the head uses an open comb.
    I tend to prefer massive, heavy razors with fat handles/grips which are built like tanks; I like the bigger barrel for the feel I get in terms of comfort and control, and I like the way the heavy razors do a lot of the work for you with their weight.
    I stumbled upon a barrel/grip while browsing my watch lists on Ebay one day, offered by seller ASD78. ASD78 makes these as "one offs" from 6061 aluminum alloy, are 3.25" long, have a full .68" diameter, and weigh only 38 grams. Thread size 5mm fits most 3 piece razors, Merkur, Razorock, Parker, Lord, Jagger. I paid $27.00 for my handle. ASD78 also makes more conventionally shaped handles.
    As I said, I typically like the heavier razors, and I had hoped the weight would be at least equal to the stock barrel on my Razorock, due to its massive size, but it is markedly lighter. When I felt the weight, I was disappointed and figured I'd lost my gamble. However, when I shaved with it, I found that it didn't plow through the whiskers like the heavier barrels, but it also have the effect of being gentler on my skin, and giving me fewer nicks and burn. I love the contour, size and shape of the barrel, and its knurled surfaces. Now, if I could just get ASD78 to machine one from steel for me!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    Keithmax and George X like this.