Review: The General SE razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Jun 21, 2016.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I am still up in the air about the handle. I am amazed at how well it shaves with the lightweight aluminum, so I switched it out with the stock handle from my Alumigoose to improve the grippiness.

[​IMG]

It doesn't need any additional length or weight from an SS handle. (At least for me.) It is a truly good design to be able to deliver such great shaves out of such a light package.

DesertTime, Boojum1 and jmudrick like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Which blades? I've stuck with the Supers.

3. PickledNorthern

Pros so far, but I'm going to put a Super in for the next use.

My Hawk and Alumigoose pretty much need Supers for me to get a close shave without fighting for it.

My Mongoose and El Jefe do just fine with Pro's. Haven't tried anything else.

Seems like The General could go either way. Just a great razor.

jmudrick likes this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Correction on the sale price this Friday:

It Was $58.99...dropped to $44.2...but now been reduced to $39.99!

PickledNorthern and billdog2 like this.
  5. PickledNorthern

This is a fantastic price for a fantastic razor.

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

7. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info., still turning it over in my so called mind.
    To tell the truth, I`m just not all that into black. Think I`ll wait for the chrome. I have a chrome SE hawk coming from a fellow member, the cap bubbled up on him, so he was good enough to give it me to try out. Thanks again for the info. Have a nice Thanksgiving.

Bill

PickledNorthern likes this.
  8. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Thanks for the heads up DB.

Don

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Yikes, that sounds like something, I dunno, oh, @PickledNorthern would do :D

PickledNorthern likes this.
  10. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

At my age, if I alter my daily routine, I`m lost for the remainder of the day. I need to be able to know how many times I use each edge of a de, ergo single edge razors for me. I have several tto razors, the slim black beauty and fat boy have a mark on the handle, so I only need to mark the blade to match up with the mark. The SS, I have a red finger nail polish spot on one door so I can mark the blade to match up. I`ve been dreaming of an se exactly like the General, except for a 1/2 de blade. But I think I want to try the type of blade it takes, the hawk uses the same, so I have time to decide. With regards, Bill

PickledNorthern, clint64 and Darkbulb like this.
  11. kingfisher

kingfisher Active Member

Ultimate necropost, but I acquired one of the silver aluminum versions recently, but only the head. I use it with my UFO TiTan Fine L. Looks great with this handle, and the titanium isn't so heavy as to make the balance weird.

I absolutely love the Schick Proline blade in this razor. Such an easy, smooth shaver. Unlike the original review in this thread, I don't find it mild at all. Its actually more efficient than my MMOC. Proved it this morning by shaving the left half of my face with the MMOC and the right half with the General. Wonderful razor.

Tdmsu and PickledNorthern like this.
  12. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Is the General more forgiving than the MMOC? The latter is quite a biter in my experience.

13. kingfisher

kingfisher Active Member

It has a reputation, but I find it quite mild. You have to follow the original instructions of holding the razor head almost completely flat to your face (shallowest possible angle) and use a light touch. Doesn't bite at all. Smooth and comfy.

Oh, you also have to make sure that the TTO is completely closed.

Tdmsu likes this.