Revisiting An Old thread

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Just for grins, I thought I'd drag this post out of mothballs to show how much my RAD has changed. Keep in mind, however, that this was really intended to be taken tongue-in-cheek because these razors are typically very costly, but, over time, I've managed to secure some nice deals. ;)

If you haven't figured it out from my previous posts yet, I have a pretty severe case of RAD. Nonetheless, there are some razors out there that would have to be virtually given away to draw my interest. This list is limited to vintage Gillettes, which is where the bulk of my paychecks go. :D

Late 50's Executive. This is just a gold-plated Fat Boy that has none of the charm and uniqueness of the earlier versions. And the case blows too. Still Looking

1960's Aristocrats. Gold-plated Slim Adjustable at a premium price. The case is kind of cool, but who cares? Acquired

Toggle. Surprised? One of the rarest vintage Gillettes, but, nonetheless, just a gold-plated Fat Boy with a strange handle. Acquired

Diplomat. Beautful razor and case, but just a gold version of the much cooler Rhodium-plated President. Acquired

Techs. (not one-piece) Okay, I do own a couple of these which I obtained at nearly give-away prices. What did I say earlier? Still Not Interested

Rockets. A heavier version of the 40's Super Speed, but at an asinine price. Acquired

Late 70's Super Adjustable. The one with plastic bottoms. Yechh! Still Not Interested

195 Adjustable. Okay, technically, they are all 195s, but among wet shavers, that distinction is reserved for the model with the adjustment dial on the bottom of the handle. As far as I am concerned, it could be at the bottom of a lake. Just Don't Think It Will Ever Happen :(

Blue Tip SS. Not only do I dislike really mild razors, but those aluminum handles usually end up looking like crap. Acquired

Black Tip SS. Huh? Still Not Interested

1954 TV Special. 40's style SS with a different case. Whoopee. Yes, I Want One -- But So Rare....

Gold and Black Super Adjustable. Garish. Still Not Interested

I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them right now. Please note that this list is limited to vintage Gillettes only -- don't get me started on Mach 3s or Fusions. ;)

You know, I never even mentioned Milords being nothing more than gold-plated Super Speeds, but that's okay, I now own 3 of them! :D

2. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Congratulations on your enlightenment. You've come a long way. :D There are many more Rocket's left to find and don't overlook those English Tech's. So harsh to the 195. I never thought I'd get one either...so.

3. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

:happy102 Somehow I saw this coming when you posted the list. ;) That's great.

4. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

funny about the late 70s super adjustable. first off, i hate plastic razors and adjustables, but i ended getting a birth year razor: a 1979 super adjustable. and ended up liking it.

i only use it once a year though.