Rex Ambassador DE razor rundown.....

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

A quick video on the new Rex Ambassador DE razor from Razor Emporium.

Jorvaljr and jmudrick like this.
  2. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

I love those razors. Too bad the cost is so high. But one is definately on my radar. The video was very well done. Thanks for posting.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  3. william beer

william beer Well-Known Member

I noticed something on the Maggards website regarding the Rex Ambassador. In their pictures of the underside of the Ambassador it shows the discharge vents with rounded ends while on the Rex Supply (Razor Emporium) site it shows the vents with squared ends. Does this suggest different milling contractors or maybe it's just a change in design. I like the rounded vents better YMMV.

4. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

I've got one on order from Razor Emporium and talked to Matt (the owner of Rex and Razor Emporium) and he advised that mine was in the latest group that was being delayed just a little as they were going to start producing on new machines as the previous machine had reached its useful life. He said that these razors were much more in demand than they anticipated. Finally, he advised that they were fixing a few things that were small problems on the initial batches (such as the adjustment nob turning too easy which caused the adjustment in some cases to get more aggressive during the shave for those that put their finger on the nob during the shave and also some top caps weren't aligning properly with the base plates). He assured me that all of these little problems were being addressed. I'm glad I waited until I did to place my order. I'm not saying that the stock at Maggards has any of the problems I described as most of the problems were with the initial batches with an "M" code meaning they were made in 2017. I talked to Maggards and they advised that all of their stock had "N" codes meaning they were made in 2018. After talking with Maggards, and after looking at their total price, rather than order from them I decided to order directly from Razor Emporium as Maggards charges sales tax to us Michigan residents (which they should) and Razor Emporium does not as they are located in Arizona. I'll be getting the razor $15 to $16 cheaper form Razor Emporium than I would have from Maggards. So, long story short, I am awaiting my new Rex Ambassador with hopefully all the kinks worked out:)

brit likes this.
  5. william beer

Thanks John, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an Ambassador and I'm just a wee bit of a pain in the tookus. Matt did get back to me about the bottom vents and said that they are all being made with rounded ends instead of square ends. I like the looks of the rounded ends. I'll be buying this razor largely because of Matt P. He is one great fellow and deserves to succeed.
    Kindest Regards,
    Bill

brit, Slipperyjoe and john zeiger like this.
  6. john zeiger

Thank you much Bill. It took me awhile too to pull the trigger on the Rex Ambassador (its pricey but I love adjustables) but after talking with Matt I'm really glad I did. I totally agree with you about Matt. I've bought other things from him and was very happy with his service and how up front he is. He didn''t have to tell me about the kinks they've had with the Rex Ambassador but he didn't hesitate to do so. It seems to happen with anything that is new to the marketplace.
    Good luck with your decision and thanks again for letting me know about the rounded ends.

brit, william beer and Enrico like this.
  7. william beer

Hi John, thanks for getting back to me. Let me know what you think when you new Ambassador gets there. I would like to know your opinion.

Bill

john zeiger likes this.
  8. john zeiger

I definitely will Bill. Thank you.

John

9. william beer

You people who have Rex Ambassadors, can any of you compare it to the Gillette Red Tip? I like my Red Tip very much and I feel it's a very smooth shaver and pretty efficient too.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  10. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I don’t have a REX, but I can tell you that’s its nothing like the red tip for a couple of reasons.

1. It’s heavier
    2. It’s adjustable

william beer likes this.
  11. john zeiger

Sorry Bill, I wish I could help but I haven't yet received my REX yet (still anxiously waiting) and I don't have nor ever used a Red Tip.

william beer likes this.
  12. william beer

Thanks John. When you get it let me know what you think.

13. william beer

Thanks for your comments. Yeah, I knew it is adjustable and very hefty. I was interested in how the Rex compared to the Red Tip at various settings. I know it can be subjective but interested none the less.

14. john zeiger

I most definitely will Bill.

15. john zeiger

Hi Bill, Happy Easter, I just wanted to let you know that I just received a notice from Razor Emporium that they should be mailing out 120 REX Ambassadors this week - including mine. I hope it gets here before April 12th as that is when I'll be leaving on a 3 week vacation. So, if all goes well I should be able to give you a rundown on the razor before I leave. If not, unfortunately, won't be able to until I return from vacation.

Keithmax likes this.
  16. william beer

Thanks John, I had a very nice Easter - hope you did too. I'll be looking for your post about you perspective on the Rex Ambassador after you get it and use it.

john zeiger likes this.
  17. john zeiger

Bill, thank you my Easter was nice and I'm glad to hear that yours was too. It sure would be nice if I get REX before I leave on vacation but have learned not to count on things like that. In any case, I will definitely give you my thoughts.

18. william beer

Well John, If you do not get the razor before you go on vacation then I'll just wait until you get back. Either way, have a great vacation.

john zeiger likes this.
  19. john zeiger

Thanks much Bill

20. john zeiger

Hi Bill, I just got a notice that mine got shipped. I also saw on another forum that Matt indicated he fixed all of the known kinks but was going to do some pictures to indicate what they were. I haven't seen that yet but am releived to hear that they addressed all of the known issues. Again I leave on a three week vacation beginning next Thursday. I hope the razor gets here by then. Just wanted to keep you updated.