Rise Shave Gel

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Paul Turner, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I am at high risk of repeating a thread I did soon after joining TSD(easy to forget, at this point!), but I still have my Amazon order of the 2 oz. Rise Shave Gels. The difference between this gel and, say, Edge or Gillette, is that you can hardly see the Rise when you rub it on. It's there, though. And it does a nice job of blowing away the whiskers. There is a little more of the original Rise scent than the aftershave balm provides, but not quite 100%. I'd need to follow the gel with the balm. It's a nuisance to shave what you can't see, but it works in the end. Great for travel, I'd say. I'll be finding some time for it this winter.

Carbide Mike, wristwatchb and gorgo2 like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I want to say those little tubes were at Big Lots in the last year or so. Not sure they're there now.

Paul Turner likes this.
  3. Paul Turner

what's Big Lots?

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Sorry, thought you were in the U.S. It's kind of a remaindered item chain of discount stores where pretty much anything could show up...store buyouts, damaged stock from overturned boxcars, you name it. You never knew what would show up. Pretty cool store but now carries more "regular" items and isn't what it used to be. Still, odd stuff still comes up from time to time. There's at least one similar chain called Ollie's but it does not appear to have the buying power BL has and so doesn't have the same mix of stuff.

5. Paul Turner

I live in Massachusetts-, just never heard of the store chain.

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Ah, then they don't have it up your way. I'm thinking about hitting BL this weekend, would you want me to check?

It used to be called Odd Lots, in case that rings a bell.

7. Suavemikey72

Suavemikey72 New Member

I'm going to try Big Lots today, they jus made ours 2x larger. I'm in central Jersey.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

8. Paul Turner

You're talking about the 2 oz gels, right? I would LOVE to see if any "original fragrance" creams(from the 50's)are still there.

9. Suavemikey72

Suavemikey72 New Member

No good my Biglots doesn't have any, and looks like Paul got the rest on Amazon...

Paul Turner likes this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Another product bites the dust? Somewhere in TSD there's a thread about consumables that are not manufactured anymore.
    I purchased several tubes of Crest toothpaste from BigLots. The particular flavor was no longer available elsewhere. When I saw it on their shelf I figured it's been discontinued. So if you do find something there that you like, buy it all. It may be over and done.

Suavemikey72 likes this.
  11. Paul Turner

well, Amazon and also the RiseInt'lGroup website(or whatever its name is). That's where I ordered my shaving creams and A.S. balms.

12. Suavemikey72

Suavemikey72 New Member

Screenshot_2016-10-29-22-18-44.png

Found some on ebay, I bought 2 and the shipping went down on the 2nd one. So I averaged $5 per

Paul Turner likes this.
  13. Paul Turner

the more the order the less the shipping?

14. Suavemikey72

Suavemikey72 New Member

Yeah I thought I would be paying 3.38 per but it went down

15. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I recall seeing this stuff in the pass around box a LONG time ago. I didn't even give it a second glance. Now you have piqued my curiosity.

Paul Turner likes this.
  16. Paul Turner

It was in the pass around? Either I hadn't yet signed on, or I WAS on and hadn't yet had my coffee to wake up to see it. I'll be trying it soon(or "returning to it").

17. Suavemikey72

Suavemikey72 New Member

20161102_184808.jpg

Got mine today in the mail. Looking forward to tomorrow morning!

Paul Turner likes this.
  18. Paul Turner

looking forward to your commentary on it. I think I still have about 5 left.

19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Big Lots had nothing of interest, except a variety of interesting WS disposables.

Paul Turner likes this.
  20. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

We're talking quite a few years ago. I joined here in 2012 and remember seeing it that same year. It was a bit before you came here... but you never know what will pop up in those boxes.