Rockwell 6S Review attempt (With Photos)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dbersh, Jan 2, 2015.

1. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

My first attempt at a complete review of a razor, the new Rockwell 6S.

The Rockwell 6S is an all Stainless Steel razor, manufactured in the USA and was a crowd sourcing project through Kickstarter. I first heard about it through a mantic59 video. Not sure why, but I went ahead and pledged and received one of the first 2111 manufactured.

Product arrived in a nice tin package with custom formed insert.
    Rockwell 1.jpg
    Rockwell 2.jpg

Weights

A. Handle 73 grams

B. Plate R1/3 33 grams

C. Plate R 2/4 33 grams

D. Plate R 5/6 35 grams

E. Assembled R1/2 or 2/4 121 grams

F. Assembled R5/6 124 grams

Lengths*
    Handle 3-5/16”
    Assembled 3-9/16”
    *I don't have proper calipers or measuring tools other than a tape measure to do accurate testing...yet. Harbor Freight is in my future.

Finish
    The knurled handle is finished very nicely. Knurling is deep and the rest appears brushed/satin and done very well.
    handle.jpg
    Adjustment base plates. No special finishing or polishing, plain smooth finish, no burrs. Labeling is clear and easy to read.
    base plates.jpg

Top Cap, here we start to have major issues. The top is a brushed/satin finish and is OK. The bottom of the plate are issues. It appears to have either not finished or some form of matte texture applied. There are small bumps that actually protrude enough to cause issues when blade is installed.
    Due to the poor finish under top cap it causes major alignment issues when blade is installed with gap opening from side to side
    Here is with plate 1. It appears there is a major design/QC issue that has occurred regarding the top cap.
    Blade opening.jpg
    Upon further experimenting, it appears the top cap is the problem with the alignment issues. Here is a photo of using plate 1 with another 3 piece top cap.
    Top Cap 2.jpg

Overall Remarks.
    1. Packaging is very nice.
    2. The handle is great.
    3. The concept of changeable plates is unique.
    4. The top cap needs major rework or replacement.
    5. It is amazing that I didn't cause major damage to my face. Thankfully my technique kicked in and applied 0 pressure.
    6. Note to self, take more time inspecting new equipment before actually using it.
    I would hold off purchasing until it can be determined how the company is going to address the issue of the top cap.
    I will try to use again with my other 3 piece top cap. The only issue is the threads catch but barley due to the width of the Rockwell plates the screw needs to be longer than normal.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Great review!
    Cost?

PatrickA51 and dbersh like this.
  3. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

69 USD and that was shipped.

PatrickA51 and BigMark like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Not a bad price if they can take care of the quality issues you raise.

5. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Thanks for the review and photos! :happy088:

6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Nicely done! I hope they address the top cap issue, this razor has potential.

7. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

According to their kickstarter page, they are looking into the issue and how to resolve. I don't think it's a rework but making a new top cap and replace what they have shipped. I was going to Dremel the bottom of the cap to remove the coating they applied or at least knock the burrs down/off.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review and the heads up about the QC issues. Changeable plates isn't new ATT has them, but possibly the QC or lack of it accounts for the difference in price between the two razors :)

9. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

I agree, overall it's a unique concept and think they will correct the issue. Will keep folks here up to speed on updates. Plus will be using again (glutton for punishment) for tomorrow's shave of the day with my top cap from my merkur 15c.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  10. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Are the different plates to change just the blade gap or also the angle?

PatrickA51 likes this.
  11. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I also backed this project, I was under the understanding that these Razor are made in Canada not the USA. I have not recieved mine as of yet. It was sent out by USPS on 30Dec14. According to the Kick Start web site these razors were made in Canada and were being shipped out in the US. also they were supposed to have been mailed ot the first week of December.:angry019:

12. PatrickA51

Did you get the Razor Blades?

13. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Gap. Each plate has 2 sizes.
    Size 1: 0.38 mm
    Size 2: 0.56 mm
    Size 3: 0.72 mm
    Size 4: 0.84 mm
    Size 5: 0.94 mm
    Size 6: 1.12 mm

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    PatrickA51 and Jostalli like this.
  14. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Yes, a 5 pack of Astra SPs. My understanding is the guys who started it are in Toronto, but the parts are made in the USA, and based on where it shipped from (Traverse City, Mi for me) order fulfillment and shipping occurred in the USA as well.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  15. PatrickA51

My Tracking Number is starting in the same city. Supposed to hve it tomorrow,

16. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

I am only 2 1/2 hours from TC, probably why I was one of the first ones to receive it.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  17. Warhorse

Warhorse Active Member

Great review...especially since you had a meaty issue to sink your teeth into. First I've heard of this razor or this company. Did all of the top caps have the same problem? I'm interested and intrigued by this razor design.....would you anticpate changing heads during a single shave? ie. first pass with one head and then work in another?

Thanks for the review.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Great and very detailed review!
    Have you contacted them about the issue yet and if so I'd be curious to hear what their response is.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great review of very interesting razor concept. Thanks for taking the time to include the photos.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  20. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

It appears everyone has the top cap issue based on what I have seen so far.
    I think it would be cumbersome to change while shaving, you have to dis-assemble it completely to either flip or change plates, but it would be possible.

PatrickA51 likes this.