Rockwell - adjustable razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Mar 28, 2016.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    All vintage video advertisements for the Gillette adjustables show them being adjusted while closed. The only reason we adjust them while open is to put less strain on the spring. It's one of those "well, it can't hurt," scenarios.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  2. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    According to Rockwell, the internal components are completely sealed. One reason they went with zinc internals in the first place.

I'd always read that the reason Gillette went with open internals was that they relied on a certain amount of soap scum and water for lubrication.

I wonder how Rockwell plans to avoid that issue? Lubrication, I mean. Will these be squeaky razors?

3. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

If you have any authoritative refute to my inspection report and photographic evidence, please present it.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  4. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    From a member on Badger and Blade:
    "I took mine apart about a year ago, to put some good PTFE grease on the adjustment threads. I seem to remember that it had a steel insert, a brass bushing, and a big ole beefy spring in there."

This would seem to corroborate your finding. No Zamak internals in the Futur.

PickledNorthern and BigMike like this.
  5. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5ยข

My 34c is brass inside too, but I think we're meant to be talking about the Rockwell razor.

BigMike likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Anyone who was going to join the kickstarter from this forum has probably already joined by now. It's going to be at least a year before it comes out. Though @Darkbulb will probably get his a month earlier than anyone else. ;)

There's little left to say about it that hasn't been said.

...so. What do you guys want to see for strech goals? I would like, at minimum, a protective case. Maybe a retro 50's Gillette styled plastic flip case. They should have saved some money and had the blades be a stretch goal. I get that they want people buying their blades, though. They are doing a fair job of establishing brand loyalty.

MattCB likes this.
  7. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

if that's the case and I'm wrong, I wonder if the threads on the head is brass, I doubt that , but you never know

8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Should be getting a free prototype in the mail already tomorrow :)

MattCB and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I've been using mine for a week. Just waiting for the non-disclosure agreement to end so I can discuss the shave. :D

10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Ah yeah, I really disliked that clause 4.1

PLANofMAN likes this.
  11. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Now that we've amused each other with our April Fool's witticisms, back to the topic at hand.

Now that the Kickstarter has surpassed the previous Rockwell Kickstarter campaign, I'm starting to wonder where the promised stretch goals are. Now that momentum is slowing, I think a 200k stretch goal will be unobtainable. They should have had a 100k and 150k stretch goal, but those numbers were passed without a peep. I'm going to be bummed if backers don't at least get some kind of case out of this.

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I personally love the tin case with the foam cut outs like they have on the 6s razor.

As far as the threads on the head goes they should be brass, they won't risk the part of the razor that gets the biggest beating and make it out of pot metal. Anyone cares to ask them on the kick starter conversation page?

13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    @blashe

The whole razor is going to be made of coated (i.e. plated) brass.
    Edit: ...and it's a TTO design, so there are no threads in the head, only in the handle.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  14. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Ok I was thinking threads on the head did not make sense for tto, as far as they confirmed was ALL BRASS as in 100%

PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.
  15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Yes, 100% brass (after a bit of backlash from the wet shaving forums about the zinc internals). They will also likely offer nickel plating as well, for those of us who don't like chrome. It basically saves them a step, as they will need to plate the razor in nickel before chrome plating it.

16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    PickledNorthern likes this.
  17. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

18. MattCB

MattCB Well-Known Member

That's a good read and consistent with what I have heard from Gareth before. I'm looking forward to meeting him at the Seattle meet up.

19. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

image.jpeg The arrow is pointing to the brass part on the Futur. So it is not all zinc.

20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Not sure what's wrong with me. The thing is bigger and heavier than my preference and I absolutely don't need one, but I'm thinking about getting on board.