Rockwell Model T... The two year wait may be over!?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GlennConti, Feb 23, 2018.

1. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

Kickstarter in a nutshell.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Demidog and DesertTime like this.
  2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

It's a nice razor for sure. So are the internals brass after all cuz that's important. And I heard it can be easily dissembled for cleaning which it will need...

PatrickA51 likes this.
  3. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

It is a kick-starter campaign with few guarantees. The problem is the inconsistency with which they implement their own policy and promises. It seems to me they run mostly on caprice.

I hope those who stuck it out get the razor they want. But I'm glad I'm out and I have no regrets.

Demidog and PatrickA51 like this.
  4. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I don't think that they can legally keep a percentage of the refund unless it says that there is a return charge. Unless Kickstarter charges it.

5. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

Two years is a very long time :( The only consolation prize, of sorts, is I paid $89.95 and they say with all the difficulty building this razor, they are going to make the list price "significant[ly]" higher when it goes for sale to the public. Does that mean the price will be so high no one buys it? I mean it is not a stainless steel razor and it will have to compete with vintage Fatboys. Problem is a lot of labor is required to make this thing. It maybe a big financial bust for Rockwell. But I feel confident I am going to get a set in the next month or two.

6. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

internals are not brass but SS, handle is brass and head is zinc

7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Thus[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

8. DesertTime

You make some good points regarding eventual price. Realistically, this razor is in a class with the Progress and Variant, both razors with ZAMAC heads and both considerably less than the current KS price of the model T. The model T is a TTO razor which is definitely a convenience plus, though doesn't add to quality-of-shave.

Folks on this forum opted-out when they went back to a ZAMAC head stating the cost, at $99, was too high for those materials. A cost of $150+ would probably keep even more people away. One must discount Rockwell's crazy claims that the model T will give the best shaves ever; they haven't even built one yet let alone successfully mass produced them.

While the razor might not live up to Rockwell's hype, it's still likely to be a very good razor. I'm looking forward to an objective review of the razor from someone like @Mantic59, who definitely knows his adjustable razors.

jwr3265 and Demidog like this.
  9. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Thank you. I'd be be concerned that the stainless in such an enclosed place would start to rust and jam up..maybe it'll be ok we shall see. And they can keep the zinc head...

10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The TTO aspect is crucial in adding to the complication and cost of the razor, and contributing to the decision not to use brass or SS. I don't think it's appropriate therefore to compare with non TTO designs which are much simpler and less costly to produce. In addition, from what I've seen I expect the quality of the finish and tolerances to be far better than the Progress and Variant (not saying much in truth). Given those two factors if you like the Rockwell shave the pre-order price is a real bargain in my book

11. DesertTime

I don't doubt TTO adds considerable complexity to the design. My point was it doesn't add to the quality of the shave. I have both a Progress and a Variant and the latter is a superb razor. Do you actually own either razor?

There are many who disagree with you on the pre-order price of the Rockwell (not me necessarily). Again, in your rush to disagree and defend the Rockwell, you completely missed my point. The discussion was about a cost considerably higher than the KS prices -- something on the order of $150+, especially when many balked at a $99 ZAMAC razor.

I don't see how you possibly know how well it shaves, which to me is the primary consideration. Also, do you know what the tolerances are and how they compare to something like the Variant?

12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I own a vintage Progress and a Rockwell 6C. I like the shave from both.(I also have Gibbs and Apollo adjustables) I think it's pretty obvious that TTO adds nothing to shave quality but to some folks it's desirable or even a deal breaker. Personally I don't find it worth much at all and mostly consider it one more thing to go wrong. Thus I won't be ordering the T but I have no issues with folks who see value in the TTO aspect of it.

The forums are full of complaints about QC on modern Progress and Variant razors (my vintage one is fine if not as well finished as my 6C), less on the Variant after the first production run. Rockwell production has gotten pretty exemplary reviews other than the gunmetal fiasco on the 6C which Rockwell fixed. Based on prior performance and Rockwell's running commentary about tolerances on their Indiegogo page, it reasonable to expect very high level production quality for the T..

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  13. luv2shave

luv2shave Active Member

When they decided to go zinc head, they could also have gone the way of saying its not a TTO but a progress / variant type fixed head and all SS parts, but much more accurate. I am not a mechanical engineer so can't comment on what this would have meant.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Well then it would be a completely different razor and would be competing with the Barbaros and Rex adjustables. They have a lot of folks who have stuck with them who I guess place more value on the design rather than materials.

luv2shave likes this.
  15. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

believe it or not those that they left because of the choice of materials would pay the extra 50-60 bucks to keep the razor all brass, the rest could of have the mixture of materials for $90. I would of pay the extra for CNC touching up the brass head parts, keep it all brass because while Im paying 90 for it as mine as well shell out a little extra to keep it as it is. Spending 90 on a razor that has zinc head, no way.

16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

For Rockwell it comes down to anticipated profits going forward, not just satisfying current backers. Obviously they gauged that sales would take too big a hit were they to charge what they would need to with a stainless steel razor. We're not talking about $50-$60, that's likely to be the price upcharge of the Zamac razor post pre-order. Razor Emporium is charging $250 for the Rex, a much simpler design. Rockwell may have been able to bring that in for less, but they're crunching the numbers not me.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  17. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

dude they had 20 working all brass prototypes that the heads were touched up by either CNC or via manual milling but the manufacturer didn't told them regarding the touching up of the heads and naturally the production razor brass head parts didn't came out as Rockwell wanted.

They had all brass working razors and instead of asking the manufacturer how much will cost extra per piece for the touch ups they went for a whole new project idea of mim SS Model T.... Touching up would not cost the KS member more than 50-60 bucks extra.

Rex is a different design and production is on a whole other level, even if the Model T was all brass could not be compared to the Rex just because its TTO adjustable and have the head touched up vs all 316L SS machined Rex.

When we asked Rockwell how much for the extra touching up the heads answer was too much but no number quotes were given because lets be honest they didn't wanted to deal with it and just wanted to finish the project with as less headaches as possible.

I bet if all the backers were enthusiast like we are in the forums the KS would of been done, everybody would ask for their money back. Once again lets not forget they had 20 working all brass razors, they could of made us the 5% happy and find out the extra cost, they didn't wanted to deal with it and rather refund us.

18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Ok dude.

19. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

While I’m not happy with the delay, I’m looking forward to getting mine. I have no regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk