Rockwell Owners Adjustable Razors Club (ROARC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tuxxdk, Jun 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

I'm glad you're liking the shave. Since I started using the 6s with a #3 plate, I have no desire to try anything else. It gives me everything I want in a shave and technique isn't a factor.

How are you liking the Rockwell blades? Personally, I think they seem dull in comparison to the Astra SP's that I use. Others seem to love them however which makes me think they may have improved since I got them last. When my Model T ships it's supposed to come with a box of 100 so I'll give them a try again.

-Mc

Tdmsu and Jayaruh like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I was surprised that I got the 100 pack of blades. I had heard that some did not like them, but everyone has their own opinion. I thought I'd give them a try. So far, I have no complaints. I usually do 7 shaves with a blade and then ditch them unless they fail early. I can usually get at least 7 shaves from a blade. I am taking the razor apart to clean it after each shave, and when I do that, I dry the blade and do a quick belly strop with it.

Terry Williams likes this.
  3. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

New member here hi all
    Have a 6s on the way.
    One question I have is what or how do folks store the extra plates when not in use. Curious as to what ideas are out there. The.

4. Nick N Cut

Nick N Cut New Member

I've had mine for about a year now and I store the idle plates right in the box it came in. It keeps them from getting messed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Today I had my third shave with with the Rockwell 6C. I used the R3 plate and had a great two pass shave. The razor has very nice heft to it and seems to be well balanced as well.
    sod170517.JPG

6. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

You know those mini Altoid tins? I'm using one of those. And if you look around the checkout aisle in some stores they have mints in similar tins that are slightly taller. These will allows you to wrap them in a paper towel if you don't want them clanging around (great for travel).

7. dkeester

dkeester Well-Known Member

Shaved with the R5 plate today. While I felt the blade more with this plate, it was still a smooth and comfortable two pass shave.

The more I use it the more I like my 6C.

Tdmsu likes this.
  8. sky pilot 83

sky pilot 83 Active Member

I used the r5 last night in my 6S. Weeper city with a derby extra. Usually the derby extra is 3 passes and a minimal touchup to obtain bbs. Looks like plates 3&4 is my sweet spots.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

dkeester likes this.
  9. dkeester

I am using a Rockwell blade currently and getting good results. I figured I should break the razor in with a Rockwell blade, but I am looking forward to trying other blades. Next time I will probably use an Astra SP or a GSB.

sky pilot 83 likes this.
  10. sky pilot 83

For me, both of those blades perform best on setting 3. At least the GSB does. I'll have to retry the astras on setting 4.

dkeester likes this.
  11. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Can anyone compare the shaves from the Rockwell to a Futur?
    I usually use my Futur on six, so I like heavy, efficient razors, and the Rockwell is gaining my interest lately.

dkeester likes this.
  12. sky pilot 83

I literally JUST got my futur clones in the mail today, i haven't used it yet. But i have used the Rock since december 2016. And i can tell you now every setting is efficient for it's gap. Last night i used my go to derby extra blade on setting 5 and i was left with weepers and a tiny bit of stubble after 3 passes. But on setting 4 its 3 pass bbs everytime, sometimes without a touchup.

The futur has bigger gaps but the 6S is aggressive too on the higher settings.

dkeester and Tdmsu like this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Setting aside the question of efficiency, I don't think there's any question the Futur is more aggressive. It has a huge blade gap which contributes to blade flex I don't feel with the aggressive plate of the Rockwell.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

PickledNorthern, dkeester and Tdmsu like this.
  14. sky pilot 83

Ya know, i was thinking of blade gap and it's effects on aggression. I found a table of blade gaps, and discovered the rockwell on r5 is .02 mm less aggressive than a 34C merkur. Yet the merkur 34c is less aggressive. I'm thinking the flex added to the blade in the fully assembled razor along with the angle the blade sets at has more to how aggressive a razor feels. I could be wrong, but i don't think so (to quote mr. Monk)

PickledNorthern and dkeester like this.
  15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

There's also exposure to consider . A razor like the Futur with its huge blade gap still feels an order of magnitude less aggressive than the Ikon Tech because of the latters' exposure at every angle.

16. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Fourth shave with the Rockwell 6C today was very successful. This is a fine razor. I used the #3 plate. I may pull out the #4 tomorrow, but I don't see myself going higher than that now.
    [​IMG]
    Thursday's Shave
    [​IMG]

Nivea Men Face Wash
    Williams Shaving Soap
    Jayaruh #168
    Rockwell 6C
    Rockwell Swedish Stainless
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    Thayer's Lemon WH
    Aqua Velva Musk AS

The Williams Shaving Soap face-lathered well with my Jayaruh #168 Synthetic brush. I did one pass the Rockwell 6C razor and Rockwell Swedish Stainless blade, and I did the second pass with my new Ming Shi adjustable on 2 (not pictured). I ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse and alum block, I finished off with Thayer's Lemon WH and then Aqua Velva Musk AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Tdmsu and dkeester like this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Rockwell 6c, plate 5. Very capable on both beard and head shave. Definitely can feel blade but still smooth. Plenty enough weight, indeed user error led to a couple of weepers on my head, lighter touch required next time. I prefer the handling of a lighter razor but this a killer value. [​IMG]

18. dkeester

Today I shaved with my 6C on the R6 plate. It was another fabulous shave. The razor is smooth and efficient on every plate, but the difference in aggression between settings is noticeable. I am not exactly sure which setting I like the best yet. I will have to try it with some other blades to find my sweet spot.

As for how it shaves against the Merkur Futur... Well, I just recently acquired a Ming Shi 2000s and spent six days working through the major settings. The R6 plate on the 6C, IMHO, is nowhere near the aggression of the Ming Shi on 6. I would have to do a side-to-side comparison to be totally sure, but I think the blade gap on R6 plate is closer to the gap on 4 or 5 of the Ming Shi. They are both smooth shavers at any setting.

Tdmsu and Jayaruh like this.
  19. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Thanks for that comparison, and to everyone else. I think I'll have to try a Rockwell at some point.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Jayaruh likes this.
  20. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Rockwell 6C shave #5 this morning.
    [​IMG]
    Friday's Shave
    [​IMG]

Nivea Men Face Wash
    CO Bigelow Shaving Cream
    Jayaruh #168
    Rockwell 6C
    Rockwell Swedish Stainless
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    Thayer's Lemon WH
    Aqua Velva Musk AS

The CO Bigelow Shaving Cream face-lathered well with my Jayaruh #168 Synthetic brush. I was going to change to the R4 plate this morning, but I did not have my glasses on and I either used the R5 or R6 plate. I did not find out until I was cleaning the razor afterwards. I did two passes the Rockwell 6C razor and Rockwell Swedish Stainless blade, and I ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse and alum block, I finished off with Thayer's Lemon WH and then Aqua Velva Musk AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

dkeester and Tdmsu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.