Rockwell Owners Adjustable Razors Club (ROARC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tuxxdk, Jun 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

That's understandable, but in the old DE days before the carts?

2. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

SS above zamak :)

Puma and Kypros Christodoulides like this.
  3. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly. The 6s R6 has been a revelation for me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

4. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

Trial and error. Version 1 had some issues that were quickly identified and fixed on version 2.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  5. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

@Kypros Christodoulides glad to read your are getting excellent results. I have the same experience with my 6S, and why it's my daily driver and also why I sold/PIFd all my other razors besides my birthyear/quarter Slim.
    I was an original backer and have a combination of version 1 and 1.5 that I use for travel. So I have 2. And although my combo 6S is not as smooth as V2, it is still better than everything else I have tried.
    The 6S just hits all the right buttons for me as well.

6. tuxxdk

Issues is quite a polite way to describe it, haha

Those were some effective trials at least.

Puma and dbersh like this.
  7. Kypros Christodoulides

In looking at other forums, it seems a lot of people find the 6S outstanding on their prefered plate. Razor manufactureres would have us believe that we are all completely different when it comes to shaving equipment needs, thus the rush to go out and buy the latest addition to the market in search of shaving nirvana. Here we have this little gem of a razor that completely and utterly satisfies every one of its users. It seems after all, we all have similar needs when it comes to DE's . The 6S has proved the point that YMMnotV that much after all.

nav, Puma, Gnomeo0228 and 2 others like this.
  8. MaineYooper

MaineYooper Well-Known Member

Hello! I received a Rockwell 6C back in mid May. So far, plate 4 with a Red Personna blade works great, and plate 3 with a Gillette Silver Blue has been blowing me away this week! I revisited the GSB as I had found it too "harsh" for me face with plate 4. I was noting to myself that this blade might not work for the 6C when I had a "Duh!" moment and remembered I had other plates!! Glad I did, as stepping down one plate has been fantastic with this blade! What a razor. It may replace my beloved Slim as being my go to razor!

9. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

I think you're confusing V1 with V1.5. There's a massive difference between the two. V1 was what was funded on Kickstarter and I was one of the few to get one before shipping was halted. V1.5 was the "disaster" with the heavily ground plates and cap that everybody remembers. This evening after I get home from work I'll post pictures of the difference between V1, V1.5, and V2. Version 1 was a decent design but had a couple issues which were eventually resolved in V2 but V1 as it shipped was perfectly acceptable for shaving. I still use mine on occasion. Version 1.5 on the other hand is basically unusable unless you love to shave with a razor with effectively no safety bar of any kind.

-Mc

10. tuxxdk

I meant the whole v.1.x range. Compared to V2 they are quite horrendous IMHO.

11. Kypros Christodoulides

I've seen V1 on pictures and to be honest they don't look inspiring. Crudely finished to say the least. My V2 however looks way better and quite pleasing to the eye. It would be interesting to follow the evolution of the 6S McHale.

tuxxdk likes this.
  12. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

V1 is a decent razor. It shaves a lot better than a lot of desired vintages out there. I think it shaves better than my fatboy.

However, compared to V2, ALL razors are horrendous!

While the V2 does look "polished" and professional, I kind of liked the "industrial" look of the original. It was one of the things that drew it to me actually. But there were a LOT of people that complained about it so I know I'm one of a small minority that either liked it or at least didn't mind it.

Regardless, while it was a long process to get to V2, it was DEFINITELY worth the wait. The shave quality between V1 and V2 are miles apart. In fact, while I'm thinking about it, I'll be sure to shave with V1 tonight just because it's been so long since I've done it.

Pics to come comparing all three tonight. I had taken pics before but couldn't find them last I looked. I probably deleted them when I posted them to a different forum.

-Mc

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    Tdmsu, dbersh, tuxxdk and 1 other person like this.
  13. tuxxdk

I may be excused (given that I don't own one), but it's my understanding that V1 differs vastly across the production. Some descent, some.. Not so descent.

14. Kypros Christodoulides

One of my Fatboys comes close but not quite there. The other one is way below par. I put this down to exposure adjustement between the two.

15. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

My V1 had slag on the bottom of the top cap which I easily removed with a dremel, but my base plates were warped and way out of spec. When 1.5 was received, the cap was crap due to the aggressive destructive grinding, but the base placed were now in spec and not warped. Hence my reference to my combo razor, V1 cap I fixed and v 1.5 baseplates make a very use able razor. V2 another level in fit and finish.

16. Kypros Christodoulides

Does anyone see a fault in the V2, because to my eyes it's perfect. BTW, shouldn't we have the June update on the model T by now?

17. tuxxdk

If I'm being really anal about mine it has a couple of blemishes, cosmetic only. You know, loupe to the razor looking closely. It's from the molds.

18. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

You guys are making my decision on my next razor very easy.

19. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Mine must be a v2 since I just got it. It looks perfect.

Now that you mention it, I remember thinking when the v1 first came out that it was rough and almost "whittled" looking. I'm glad I waited for the one I have, it's been nothing but great.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

20. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

The handles below are V1 and V2.

$handles.jpg

You can't see it in the pics but the V1 has much sharper knurling... which I love. For the V2, they performed the same finish technique on the handles to make them match the finish of the new plates.

OK, here's some V1 - V1.5 - V2 cap and plate comparisons:

$caps.jpg $plates.jpg

NOTE: The v2 plate/cap in the pics above are from a V2 set that failed QC. IMHO the final V2 I received has a better finish and has less flaws.

Plate v1 vs Plate v2 Blade Gaps
    1 .38 mm .20 mm
    2 .56 mm .35 mm
    3 .72 mm .48 mm
    4 .84 mm .61 mm
    5 .94 mm .69 mm
    6 1.12 mm .79 mm

Puma, blashe and Tdmsu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.