Rockwell Owners Adjustable Razors Club (ROARC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tuxxdk, Jun 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I suppose it does matter the plates and heads you use. I have heard that they were generally similar from other forums and youtube videos. The heads overall do seem to share a high profile shape...

2. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

The 1 to 6 plates are not the same shave. I feel that they are true to form in terms of least to most aggressive .

Tdmsu likes this.
  3. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Well, today is the day! Gonna start on 3, though I expect that to be far too mild...

Tdmsu and Rhody like this.
  4. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I can confirm. The plates are very different in efficiency, but all very smooth in my experience.

5. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

@tuxxdk How about adding me to the list? New 6S just came in. DSCN1967[1].JPG

6. luv2shave

luv2shave Active Member

I would like to apply too :) [​IMG]

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

7. PumperNickel-BageL

PumperNickel-BageL Active Member

I ordered Rockwell 6c in white last week and then after 24 hours I had buyers remorse and sent them an email to cancel the order.

But the razor was already in transit. And boy am I lucky that I did not cancel it because this is the best razor I ever used IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!

Wowzers! I never knew what I was missing until I tried this one. And now that i look on their website today the 6c is SOLD OUT and BACKORDERED in both colors. So I really lucked out

I like this razor so much that I think my search is over as far as hardware and I can turn my focus to blades and soaps. I also have ended my lifelong search for brushes after getting the Stirling tuxedo 2 band synthetic brush for $13 I just cant see how any brush could outperform it and dont see how any razor could ever outperform the 6c, it feels like it was custom molded to my face! I can hit CRAZY aggressive angles that I would not even dare to attempt on my other razors. Top notch performance

Durable too, I dropped it like a freaking idiot this morning after rubbing mineral oil on it and it was so slippery that it jumped out of my hand and hit the hard tile floor. But I see no blemishes or scratches from the fall so that is a vote of confidence in the integrity of the Zamac

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  8. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I had a bad experience 2 weeks ago with a shave soap that had too much lavender in it. Being able to flip the #4 over for #2 saved the day. I could still shave without feeling like my face and neck had road rash. Gotta love these things. I love mine. Glad you like yours. Happy shaving.

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That's a nice story. Glad it worked out for you. It is a nice razor.

10. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

I would like to join the Club. I have a Rockwell 6C in white chrome that I usually use with base plate #3 (mild razors get along with me better). I have several more expensive razors but I find myself reaching for the 6C most often. The 6C gives me such smooth and nice shaves. My favorite blades with this razor are Personna Reds and Gillette Silver Blues. But, just about any blade I use with this razor works great except for... Rockwells. Rockwell blades are the worst that I've tried. A YMMV thing I guess.

Str8 Shaver, jeraldgordon and Tdmsu like this.
  11. PumperNickel-BageL

How did it do with Derby shave stick? Also if anyone else has shaved with Derby soap + Rockwell 6s or 6c please chime in. I went temporarily bonkers and ordered 36 sticks of Derby shave stick (without ever having tried it). If each stick lasts 6 months I will have enough for 18 years of shaves.

12. Terry Williams

I've never any problems with the Rockwell except for a greater propensity to cut myself using the aggressive bases (5 & 6). I DO have problems with some soaps; mostly artisan soaps that have extra stuff in them (especially menthol). If your skin is sensitive to a particular soap, then it won't matter which razor you use. They will all feel bad (the Rockwell, perhaps, less than others). I've never tried Derby soap, but if it is anything like Arko or Willliams (both are hard soaps that smell a little like citronella) then it should be just fine. Arko and Williams are great soaps. Arko and Williams smell just about the same, so others here have said. http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/derby-vs-arko-shave-shave-stick.32261/

Nothing wrong with 18 sticks of Derby if you like it. Your next 18 years of shaving will be wonderful.

13. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Derby is a good soap, works well for me. Also the price ain't bad at all............

PumperNickel-BageL likes this.
  14. PumperNickel-BageL

I have been getting great results on plate 4 for 48 hour shaves.

If I wanted to switch to 24 hour shaves would I be better off with plate 3 or 2? I tried using plate 4 on 2 back-to-back 24 hour shaves and the 2nd shave resulted in irritation with plate 4.

Str8 Shaver and Tdmsu like this.
  15. luv2shave

luv2shave Active Member

The joy of using an adjustable is to be able to step up or down for different passes. I sometimes use the 4/2 plate for medium sharp blade and at times 3/1 plate for very sharp blade

Use 1/2 plate for pass 1 & 2 and final 3/4 for 3 pass.. some also step down aggression so use plate 4 for first two and plate 2 for last touch up.. this will prevent irritation

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

16. Terry Williams

I started on base #3 and stayed with that until I felt I had a razor/blade combination that worked best for me. That probably took the better part of a month. I would say that if your regular daily routine works with base 2, then stick with that until you find what works (brush, soap, blade) Don't switch up too quickly, give yourself a chance to get a really informed opinion. After that you can try to move up the scale if you want to. I have much more time on base #3 than any of the others, but I've now shave with base #4 daily without irritation with certain blades (GSB (mostly), Croma, 7 o'clock Platinum, Big Ben (meh), Ladas). All are very smooth blades, but probably not the sharpest. I use base #2 or #3 with Feathers, Personna Lab Blues, Rapira, as these, to me, seem sharper and less smooth. There are others that, on my face, just hurt no matter the base (or razor; Shark, Rockwell, Super Platinum, Dorco). Others will disagree on sharpness and smoothness, but this is what I've found works for me. Put in the time and you will be rewarded. The Rockwell(s) are great razors.

17. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Very nice report Terry. On blades, which I know are YMMV, I agree totally with your comment on Rockwell blades - they just don't work for me in this razor or any other razor for that matter. I haven't tried Sharks in the Rockwell razor but they don't work for me in other razors. Dorcos I haven't tried and probably won't as practically any other blades besides these blades do work well in this very forgiving razor.

Tdmsu likes this.
  18. Qrtas

Qrtas New Member

I haven't been able to access the Rockwellrazors website today. Does anybody have any idea what is going on? I ordered 2 6S about a month ago. There has been a delay after a delay. Today was the day they finally were supposed ship me my razors and now it is like the website disappeared.

19. PumperNickel-BageL

You are right the website is down at the moment.

20. SFTrooper

SFTrooper Active Member

I love my Rockwell 6s. My daily driver is a Muhle R41, but I love having the 6s as a primary back-up. The Rockwell is so smooth even with plate 6 (the only one I use). I have been using the Muhle for over 2 years so I pretty much have my technique dialed in, but it is nice to sometimes kick back and enjoy the Rockwell's smoothness without having to maintain a laser like focus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.