Rockwell Owners Adjustable Razors Club (ROARC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tuxxdk, Jun 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

NICE!!!!...thank you, I will get one of those for sure.

2. MrMcGoo

MrMcGoo Member

Just ordered my 6s today along with the stand. Can't wait to get it.

tuxxdk likes this.
  3. Str8 Shaver

Str8 Shaver Well-Known Member

just in the process of purchasing one that isn't getting any love.... I'll keep you informed.

tuxxdk likes this.
  4. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

:happy093:

Kickstarter edition or latest revision?

5. Str8 Shaver

Okay guys....I'M IN!! Rockwell V2 is in my hands.. :rah:
    Just one question... having never bought a previously owned razor before, what measures, if any, should I take to make sure it is super clean... not being funny, but anything that has the potential to come into contact with blood, makes me a touch paranoid/OCD... and knowing some of you have experience with previously owned shaving kit, I thought I'd ask and get some peace of mind... or am I reading too much into it?

tuxxdk likes this.
  6. tuxxdk

Congrats on the new razor!

Personally I have never done more than dish soap and toothbrush.

Str8 Shaver likes this.
  7. MrMcGoo

MrMcGoo Member

Looks like my 6S will arrive tomorrow. Will get to use it tomorrow night...
    I also have a quick question, does everyone leave the blade in their razors and if not what do you do with them between shaves? The reason why I ask is because someone had mentioned it during a video. Thanks

Nick N Cut likes this.
  8. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Scrubbing Bubbles works okay.
    For all metal razors, like Gillette's, I've put them in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes. It's amazing the amount of gunk that can come out of them.
    The Rockwell doesn't have any hinges or internal parts so cleaning with soap and a washcloth should take care of the old soap scum. You might want to soak the heads in rubbing alcohol just to disinfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Str8 Shaver likes this.
  9. PaPa K

PaPa K Active Member

Str 8-Stainless will be no problem with an alcohol soak.
    Mr Mc Goo-I leave the blades in my V2. I do loosen it a turn or so for a good rinse and then shake off the water.

Str8 Shaver and MrMcGoo like this.
  10. tuxxdk

I leave the blade in all my razors. Rinse the razor after use, wipe it down taking care not to touch the blade-edge, and put on the shelf for the next shave.

There are many ways to go around the subject post-shave, but objectively seen, there's no reason to take it out or anything else.

You may come across posts like "tea stains" and rust, but I have never experienced it, and I've always been known to "abuse" my razors, as in, I don't baby them, but I occasionally give them a good clean and polish when I feel like it.

When I read online, many of my razors, stainless included, should have vanished by now with how I've treated them. Alas, they still look like new :)

MrMcGoo likes this.
  11. Str8 Shaver

I contacted the previous owner, and he put my mind at ease by informing me that he gave it the Barbicide treatment before sending it, so it's good to go.. :happy096:

12. MrMcGoo

MrMcGoo Member

So the 6s arrived today, very nice packaging and the feel of the razor is nice. I will say before I even shave with it that I'm a little disappointed that the razor protrudes out on each side. So this will be my first experience in dealing with this so time will tell. Will let you know what I think of the performance.

Okay came back after the shave. So I decided to use a Voskhod blade and I went with setting number 3 figuring the middle of the road should be good as I use the fatboy on 5. I went with Taylor cream because I'm use to it and get a good lather. My growth was two days. First pass WTG felt good and took most surface hair easily. Second pass XTG was okay but I think I may have caused a weeper on my R cheek. Third pass ATG was good and only had a few clean up spots. The block did reveal a few spot of feedback but not that bad. My face is smooth and feels good minus two spots. So I think I might try #2 next time to see how that works with the same blade though I have been using feathers in my FB so will see.

I will note that I have only one good working arm as my left shoulder was operated on and is not much good right now so this also does not help.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  13. Str8 Shaver

Well, here is my 1st shave with the Rockwell 6S (v2). 3 days of stubble, so I've chosen plate 4 with a Timor... a blade that worked well with both the Weber, and Ikon B1 Deluxe....WOW, what a wonderfully smooth shave, but maybe a touch too much for me. I will try it with a Zorrik next... a blade that totally took me by surprise, before I make a move to plate 3. Yeah, so glad to have found the Rockwell 6S!! It well rocks! :git:

PickledNorthern, MrMcGoo and tuxxdk like this.
  14. Str8 Shaver

Wash - Meissner Tremonia Puristic
    Prep - Noxzema / Hot towel
    Pre shave - Prep
    Razor – 'The Rock' (Rockwell 6S Plate 3)
    Blade – Zorrik Stainless
    Brush - New Forest Tubby 1 Finest
    Soap – OSP Bay Rum
    Post - Witch Hazel

I decided to go with plate 3, and a Zorrik Stainless...Yeah, great shave, no drama, no nonsense, just a get the job done, BBS shave... just the way it should be! I couldn't ask for anything more...

MrMcGoo and tuxxdk like this.
  15. MrMcGoo

MrMcGoo Member

So today was my second shave with the 6s with 4 days of growth..not working due to surgery on my shoulder.

Shower and then proraso pre shave
    Soap- WSP Gaelic Tweed
    Razor- 6s with #2
    Blade- Voskhod
    Brush-WSP Chubby best badger
    Post- block and the proraso post and baum

This shave was much better than the first run. I still did a 3 pass and almost nothing for clean up. Shave resulted in BBS and was one of my better shaves in some time!

tuxxdk and Str8 Shaver like this.
  16. nav

nav Well-Known Member

I am a daily plate 4 user but today was the 2nd day on plate 3 and it is just so comfortable, as if there's no blade in it!

I am starting to accept a shorter lasting bbs for additional comfort.

I'll use plate 3 for a whole week and then decide if the trade off is worth it for me.

tuxxdk and Str8 Shaver like this.
  17. poikkeus

poikkeus Member

Plate #3 is gloriously smooth and comfortable - but a shorter longevity for your shave is a drawback for some. I find that plate #4 does give me more longevity, but plate #5 does the same thing. The key is to use lots of shaving cream, and shave very lightly.

18. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

I have a new in the box Gen 2 s6. I'm currently doing the 30 day challenge with a Gillette New long comb, but am greatly anticipating my first shave with this nicely balanced kit.

19. Str8 Shaver

Prep - Noxzema / Hot towel
    Pre shave - Proraso
    Razor – ‘The Rock’ (Rockwell 6S - Plate 3)
    Blade – Gillette Silver Blue
    Brush - 'Papa Chub' (Chubby 3 Manchurian)
    Soap – Phoenix and Beau Unscented
    Post - Witch Hazel

Sublime... one of those shaves where everything just goes right.. 'The Rock' + GSB is just so smooth and efficient... WTG, ATG, and a touch up pass, and I'm wonderfully BBS. In fact, it was that enjoyable that I lathered up, and did another pass, just for shits and giggles..

tuxxdk likes this.
  20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

They are a great razor. Mine still gets regular use, and the one I gave to my son got him completely away from carts/disposables, and he is shaving every day now.

I am not a huge TTO fan, but I am excited to see what will come with their new release.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Str8 Shaver likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.