Rocnel SE review(s)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Mar 30, 2016.

1. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

OK, thanks.

Bill

2. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I'm about ready to just buy one from extra shave. I've never heard from rocnel.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  3. shaveman

shaveman Well-Known Member

Extra Shave doesn't have the razor in stock at the moment. I bought from them a Rocnel lined handle and stand and it was delivered in 2 days to the US. I used DHL Express. I am still going to buy the razor when its' in stock hopefully soon.

Recklesstr likes this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Wow, this is a cool looking razor, it is heavy and the machining is well done.

I loaded a blade and it took me a little time to figure out how to do it smoothly. Pushedit all the way by the tabs and then snapped the tabs off. I was worried the blade would move during the shave but it didn't move, it held the blade firm and I didn't detect any flexing of the blade. It felt more like a SE blade than a DE blade.

It was easy to find a good angle and makes some noise while shaving there was no play nor flex in the blade. I would put this razor slightly on the aggressive side, just a little more aggressive than an Ikon SB but not in the same league as the R41, Joris, Futur, Ikon Tech and ATT crowd.

I did my normal 4 passes, there is a wide enough range of cutting angles to find an effective angle attack for every part of my face. I finished the shave with no irritation and BBS. Irritation A+ closeness A

The only negatives I see are you have to rinse the blade more often and loading the blade(minor). The safely remove the blade use a towel so you don't cut your fingers.

At any price this is a very good razor, for the price.... Outstanding. Worth it the price just for the handle.

Boojum1, Recklesstr, twhite and 2 others like this.
  5. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

Spot on, though I thought loading was easy.

twhite likes this.
  6. Keithmax

That was just the first time, I am sure all future loading will be easy.

clint64 likes this.
  7. whiteboy_cannon

Let's hope!

8. whiteboy_cannon

Tuesday
    [​IMG]

Something that I forgot to mention yesterday that also annoyed me today is that it is very difficult to rinse the head with still water (filled sink). It is almost impossible to rinse it effectively this way, and turning on the faucet is pretty much required.

Boojum1, Keithmax, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  9. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Oh well I'm glad I found this video of the Rocnel

ObiDon, Billyfergie and Robyflexx like this.
  10. I have no words for this.

The blade doesn't move at all once locked in place. Yes it's true that the tabs will nick your ears and nostrils if you don't remove them and not paying attention. The Rocnel razor is not my personal favorite and it is not even among the best razors on earth but it does give smooth, close and comfortable shaves and I recommend it over any other razor priced at or below $35. Are there better razors than Rocnel? Yes so many, but none that you can buy under $35 new.

This person posts videos on Youtube about shaving gear. His videos are like spam videos that pop up like weed on Youtube recommended videos lists if you watch shaving videos on Youtube. Nothing he ever talks makes sense. I don't know if this person has some sort of developmental disabilities or if he is just plain intoxicated every time he makes videos.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I don't believe that is the SE Rocnel Razor we have been talking about.

12. Keithmax

In the video he uses the SE we are talking about. The opening photo is of a DE but in the video he uses the SE. I did not find this razor super aggressive or dangerous like he claims. Maybe his problem is he goes over and over the same area without relathering. If I shaved that much without lather my face would be on fire. I think he stick with a Gillette Tech or a cart.

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

What is the video titled? I'm not able to use the photo as a link.
    I found it now.

What an idiot!!!
    1. Uses scissors to half a DE blade.
    2. Has a hard time explaining himself, without using profanity.
    3. Shaves over and over the same area without any shave cream.
    4. Wonders why he has razor burn? TOO MUCH PRESSURE!!!!! DRY SHAVING!!!

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  14. whiteboy_cannon

What a "review" that was. Technique Trumps tools.

Anyways, last night I did manage to cut the underside of my nostril with the slight blade overhang on the Rocnel while shaving XTG on my upper lip. I've never had a shaving cut bleed they much and long.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Robyflexx likes this.
  15. The Other Donald

The Other Donald Well-Known Member

I bought one and it cost me $39.64 delivered USA. It took about 10 days to get here. I shaved with it 3 times, and didn't like it enough to want to keep it. Basically I just don't like DE blades.
    I like Gem blades, injector blades, and Feather AC Pro & Pro Super (Mongoose) blades, but not DE's. It's presently for sale on eBay; auction ends tomorrow, if anyone's interested.

Robyflexx likes this.
  16. This same happened to me just now. Using it for the 4th time and I still cut my nostril. I'll have to pay attention while shaving next time using this razor.

It seems Rocnel are launching another SE razor. This time a real SE using Feather Artist Club style blades. According to a Turkish forum where Murat posts regularly the head alone weighs 70 grams. Too much for my liking.

17. whiteboy_cannon

That is quite hefty

The Other Donald and Robyflexx like this.
  18. 35n4swj.jpg

It seems Rocnel are launching lot of new products. A DE razor named DE42. The head geometry looks identical to Rocnel SE. 35n4swj.jpg

Keithmax, blashe and Boojum1 like this.
  19. The Other Donald

The Other Donald Well-Known Member

I didn't cut myself with it at all. The guy on YouTube seems to be somewhat of a dufus, so I am not too surprised that he self-injured. I just didn't like the blade-feel, and the razor was way too heavy for me, that's all. I will probably not be buying either of their other offerings, but their DE 42 looks to be a truly new design, that has not been produced before. Considering how old DE razors are, for a new design to come along over a hundred years on is quite pleasantly surprising. Mucho kudos for that. I wish them good fortune. Now if they could only do something about their weight problem.

sucker4cologne likes this.
  20. My thoughts exactly. This razor that we are using right now is a whopping 53 grams. They could have trimmed metal off from lot places on the head and it would have been perfect. Their upcoming SE will be 70 grams. Way too much compared to Mongoose or Above the tie SE1.