Rocnel SE review(s)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Mar 30, 2016.

1. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

that looks very interesting, probably will take a very long time till we receive any reviews. Looks like inviting to buy both the SE and DE at one shot and pay for shipping once, I do wonder what will be the price of the DE design and how it will work?

2. spidey9

spidey9 Well-Known Member

I have three shaves in with mine and am liking it a lot. Yes, it's heavy, but not as heavy as a Mongoose. Sure, they could have taken metal off in several places, but this would have complicated manufacturing and driven up the price. Lets not forget that we are talking about an all stainless steel razor for under $40 delivered (the next batch will be more expensive, but only slightly).

Not surprisingly it shaves like a Shake Sharp (an SE that uses DE blades) - moderately aggressive and silky smooth. I tried it with a Personna Lab Blue, a Personna Med Prep and a Feather blade. All provided good shaves, but the Feather was the clear winner, providing one of the "Oh ----" BBS, Dolphin smooth, (insert your favorite shaving superlative here) sort of shaves. "I can't stop touching my face!"

Yes, the edges extend past the head slightly.

[​IMG]

If it were made wider the blade would not position properly.

[​IMG]

In the picture above the horizontal line represents the bottom of the slit in which the blade sits, and the vertical lines the sides of the razor head. If it were any wider the blade would not seat. Additionally, it would be difficult to cleanly break off the side tabs and it would be very difficult to remove a used blade. As it is, removing the blade is easy.

I managed to nip my ear lobe on my first shave. I adjusted my technique slightly, no longer using the corner of the head for tight spots, and it ceased to be an issue. The razor simply requires that technique be adjusted slightly, and the result is a great shave.

[​IMG]

I like short fat bulldog style handles so this morning I tried it with a Maggard Razors MR3. While this made it even heavier (5.65 oz/160 gm) it felt great in the hand and as previously mentioned the shave was superb.

This would be a decent razor at $125 but at its current price it is incredible.

I'm looking forward to additional offerings from Rocnel. Innovative designs, stainless steel construction and great pricing - I like this company.

--Bob

Robyflexx, Billyfergie, RyX and 4 others like this.
  3. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

Great write-up! Despite nicking my nose I still enjoy the razor. Sometimes I really enjoy the weight and sometimes i prefer a lighter razor, just depends on the day. I never thought of the reasoning for having the slight blade overhang, thanks for the insight.

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I like heavy razors, makes it easier for me to not use pressure. The new SE is looking interesting.

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  5. TheStyx

TheStyx Active Member

I have used mine for four shaves now and I've fallen head over heels in love with it. The aggressiveness/efficiency ratio is spot on for me. The razor feels very forgiving while at the same time being very efficient at removing absolutely everything leaving me 100% BBS from the very first try.

I have used both parts of a Voskhod Teflon Coated blade for my Shaves so far and tomorrow I'll move on to a Feather blade (my absolute favourite) hoping for an even more effortless Shave. Best 25 dollars spent so far on a razor.

whiteboy_cannon, clint64 and Keithmax like this.
  6. spidey9

spidey9 Well-Known Member

This morning I tried the Rocnel with a custom handle made by a local artisan.

[​IMG]

Being made of red cedar (resin coated to make it waterproof), this handle weighs next to nothing and brings the total weight of the razor down to a very manageable 2.7 oz (76 gm). It's very nimble and responsive, although obviously balanced toward the head. I enjoyed another stellar shave with a Feather blade.

In addition, it looks way cool. :happy088:

--Bob

7. whiteboy_cannon

Nice!!!! Looks great

Darkbulb and Robyflexx like this.
  8. Apparently there were some polished versions sold by Rocnel. Like their prototype. I wonder if Rocnel used to sell polished heads in the beginning. There is one for sale on Ebay right now.

9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

FYI the Rocnel SE is in stock at extrashaving.com

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

They're gone now

whiteboy_cannon and Robyflexx like this.
  11. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

So at this point, if I haven't gotten my email on the presale, I probably won't be getting it, will I?

whiteboy_cannon and Redfisher like this.
  12. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Idiot! Can't follow instructions, and all those with and across passes without lather! Painful to watch!

whiteboy_cannon and Bussemand like this.
  13. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

(Dry shaves against the grain on his neck) "Owww, I got razor burn!" :happy102:

tuxxdk, whiteboy_cannon and Redfisher like this.
  14. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Sorry, I don't get it. I'll stick with a razor that locks a real blade in like a vault.

whiteboy_cannon and Redfisher like this.
  15. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Probably not, I haven't heard anything either. That's OK I don't really want the thing anyway. Good design needs work.

Bussemand and whiteboy_cannon like this.
  16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

After being ignored by Rocnel, I have decided I don't want one anymore. If they can't keep their word and send them to us, then I don't need their product.

17. whiteboy_cannon

I remember hearing he was having email issues with only receiving some of them and also getting way more emails than he was expecting. I would still think it is worth it, especially given the hard work put into it. But that's just me, your decision and opinion will always be yours

18. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

I pre-ordered and haven't heard anything, but as I understand it from the timeline that was given somewhere on this forum, the deadline is still about a month away. I must congratulate them though - They have certainly come far since I first heard of them.
    On the other hand, I've lost interest. I don't really care for the design of their razors and I think part of the attraction was the low price (steel to $ ratio was good). The lack of clear information didn't exactly help

Redfisher, blashe and whiteboy_cannon like this.
  19. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Wow you can't go wrong with that price. I had to take a second glance to make sure it was a 25.

20. TheStyx

TheStyx Active Member

That guy is just 100% wrong in everything he says. It's as simple as that. And what is he thinking about making all those changes of direction every other stroke. No wonder it's far from being a BBS shave.

whiteboy_cannon likes this.