ronson safety razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by burtonnj, Dec 29, 2009.

1. burtonnj

burtonnj New Member

Hi
    A while back I found a small box in my grandfather's closest. Upon opening it I found a pristine Ronson razor, never been used. Since then I have been searching for the right blade to fit it but have had no luck. If anyone has any experience with these razors and know where to find the type of blade that will fit i'd greatly appreciate it!

2. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

First off, Welcome to The Shave Den! A great community of guys and gals that enjoy wet shaving, I hope you enjoy your stay!

Be sure to sign up for the December Newbie Give-Away for a chance to win some great shave gear!

While its not required, how about you hop over to the Newbies Section and give yourself a proper introduction thread, I'm sure you'll receive many warm welcomes from the friendly folks of this community.

Now about your razor, would this be it?
    [​IMG]

If so, then that looks like a blade for it on the left side of the handle in the first picture, that blade looks proprietary to me and probably hasn't been made in many years.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Welcome.

Nice find with the razor. Hope you find the blades you're lookin' for.

4. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

I have some that came with mine still in the wrapper, even never used they aren't sharp enough to shave with.
    There were numerous razors made with built in sharpeners, they were a solution to a non existent problem and a violation of the Gillette business model.
    While the Ronson is beautifully made it's rather head heavy and unwieldy.

5. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

I'm no expert by any means but I have actually handled one of these. I would have to agree with Bob. It seemed head heavy to me. (IMHO) I can't tell you how it shaves because the person who owns it is not a wet shaver and hasn't shaved with it.
    Anyway, welcome to the Den!
    Alan in Arizona

6. burtonnj

burtonnj New Member

I appreciate all the quick replies! Dridecker, thanks. That is the same razor. It seems as though I'll be enjoying this one for its craftsmanship displayed on my shelf rather than its use. Thanks for the warm welcomes!
    Noah

7. cleanxcut

cleanxcut New Member

I love this razor

I have the very same razor and i love it. I've never shaved with it but I love it for it's looks.

8. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Welcome to TSD!

Yes, the Ronson razor is a very unique razor. Unfortunately, I just had to sell the 3 I had in my razor collection, including one in the very rare all aluminum art deco case. 2 of them had the original box of blades and I must confess, I did shave with 1 of the Ronson razors when I first got it. Odd to shave with because it's so top heavy but I managed a DFS (Damn Fine Shave) with it. I'm going to miss those beauties.. I'm a sucker for the unique and odd razors. Plus it's always a bonus to be able to say you've shaved with an 80 year old razor

As a side note, coincidentally, Ronson is known for their cigarette lighters but tried to get into the shaving game with this razor. On the other hand, American Safety Razor is known for their razors, but tried to get into the cigarette lighter game with a couple of models of lighters, of which I own 1.

9. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Pictures please...:)

10. IAmTheJody

Of the ASR lighter? I'll post a couple later on.

If you meant the 3 Ronson razors I owned...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Very cool. Had this image of an old push mower flash through my mind for some reason :rolleyes:

12. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Thanks for the info Jody, I had wondered before if they were the same company.

13. onotoman

onotoman Member

Yes, like the Valet Autostrop, the Wardonia and most Laurel Razors, the non-standard blade makes the Ronson more of a 'for interest' razor rather than a shaver.

14. Bird Lives

I knew Ronson was the same co. But I didn't know ASR made a lighter....Thats an answer to a million dollar trivia question...And you own one...too cool...about what years was ASR dabbleing in the lighter game ??? I want to be ready, so if I'm ever on Jeopardy I can pick TWS for $1,000,000.

15. IAmTheJody

ASR made lighters in the 1940s and 50s, both pocket and table lighters.

These aren't mine...

Everyone making much ado about rhodium plated razors and ASR was giving cigarette lighters rhodium love too...

[​IMG]
    The 'Classic' (model no. 1250 T) was manufactured in 1949 by the American Safety Razor Co. in the United States (Brooklyn, New York).* This model was available only in gleaming rhodium finish. The look of the table lighter refers to the Arts and Crafts Movement. The A·S·R 'Classic' was marketed in a silver presentation box. The base of the lighter is padded with green felt.

A magazine advert (click it for larger view)
    [​IMG]

16. Bird Lives

I think my Grandma had that table lighter...and yes hers had the green felt to keep it from scratching table tops...Wow, I always wondered where she got that lighter...
    I didn't know about ASR lighters during my smoking years...but I recognize them from these pics...Thats a very cool ad you have there...Thanks for sharing...That really takes me back.
    That other table top lighter in the ad...I've never seen one like that...That looks very hip...

What model do you have??

17. IAmTheJody

From that advert, I have the first one at the top on the left side of the page.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tray, Ashtray and Lighter set:
    [​IMG]

And to get back on the topic of Ronson, here's a few Ronson lighters...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

Holy cow!!!!! The lighter at the bottom left of that ad sold for $3,500.00!!!!!!!!!!
    Way back then, even. Sure, it's platinum plated, and diamond and emerald encrusted, but damn!

If Santa liked ASR so much, why didn't he use an ASR razor and blade and shave off that cheesy beard?:happy102

19. IAmTheJody

:happy102

20. Bird Lives

I think the tray ashtray and lighter set you have is the cats meow...Thats the one I said I thought was the coolest from the add...Congrats...Man, makes me want to start smoking again just to use those lighters...LOL