Rookie Straight Razor Mistakes.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Tim Spencer, Sep 10, 2017.

1. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

A once over with bathroom tissue will ensure the removal of any water on the razor. Everywhere, between the scales, all the hard to reach places. The tissue allows you to see the moisture, if any, as you remove it. If the toilet paper stays dry, your dry enough. I then allow it to air in a safe dry shelf.
    I spotted one of mine, so I'm telling you from mistakes I've made.

Keithmax, Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  2. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

I think I will need the blade looked at because it's not as sharp as I think it should be and stropping only seems to be a minimal help. Stropping does seem to make it so it will shave, but it drags and pulls a bit. It's not as comfortable as the first 2 shaves were and my DE's just seem much sharper. I must have messed up somehow and dulled the blade.

JazzDoc and Keithmax like this.
  3. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

I myself have been recently reminded that proper stropping is essential to get the best from your edge. I learn things the hard way too at times.

But I've got a sharper razor and better shave as a result.

Just go ahead and mail it off to someone to hone for you.
    It ain't the end of the world.

You can learn this stuff. We got better things and technology than guys who have done it for thousands of years before we were born. Just a matter of practice and attention to details. Speed comes with years of experience. Staying in a holiday inn and watching a few YouTube videos won't do it. (Even if they do help). But experience will teach you how to do this...and it's a very satisfying feeling when you get good at it all.

4. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I keep my straights in the bedroom. When I fill the sink with hot water for a wash, my small shave room (toilet) gets warm and steamed up really quickly. If you had a shower, or multiple people using the bathroom, it would be worse. I keep mine well away from all that moisture and put silica gel bags in my razors box.

Keithmax likes this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

We haven't heard from you, for a while. Have you given up??