Rookie

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Brandon Sanders, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

If you want to go real low-cost on soap, check out proraso white line. It is specifically formulated for sensitive skin. If you don't mind spending a bit more, barrister and mann is probably what you want. The owner started making them because, according to him, he has a ton of skin sensitivities. His soaps are in just about everyone's top tier, and they are easily the most sought after/collected in the wet shaving world.
    You can find his products on his website, maggards, or merchant and rhoades... Amongst others.

2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Welcome from MN. Lots of good advice already.

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Folks this feller here is Fuzzy approved.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Post up photos of those razors! That will give everyone a chance to offer advice, opinions, even actual information about them. More than likely there are several others here now using the same vintage Gillettes. Then there will be recommendations for which blades may suit your sensitive skin.
    Rather than using an aftershave full of scented oils, you might try an alum block or witch hazel. It's a good idea to do something for your skin after you pass a razor across it.

wristwatchb likes this.
  6. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011:

7. Brandon Sanders

Brandon Sanders New Member

What you mean?

8. Brandon Sanders

Those are my two Gillette safety razors I currently own!!

Attached Files:

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

THat your a good guy..:D You might not know I am kown as Fuzzy

You have a 40's style superspeed and a lady Gillete (the long handle one) Nice. Both good shavers!

RyX likes this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

On the left, a Super Speed. Read HERE for info.
    The blue long handled one I know well ( I have owned two). While some guys refer to it as a "Starburst" it's a Lady Gillette. Using the same head as a Flare Tip - it's a good razor to learn on. If you look under the base you will see a letter (year) and a number (quarter of the year; 1-4). There are date codes. Those were first available in 1963 and made in several colors. If you can read the letter and number it's possible to pinpoint the date of manufacture.

wristwatchb likes this.
  11. Brandon Sanders

The lady Gillette is my favorite lol!!

AGHisBBS likes this.
  12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Not surprising as it's awesome. I have one that was my moms. You might also find a SE razor will be easier on your skin too. I think it is easier to find a good angle with them. All aroud better shaves to me.

13. Brandon Sanders

I've looked on both razors and see no letter or number combinations

14. Brandon Sanders

Are you referring to Single edged?

15. Brandon Sanders

I'm having a hard time finding razors period. I lucked up and found those two at a local antique store, and they set me back some bucks lol.

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yes that is SE...that and injectors. let me know what you want to try. I have a lot of razors 100+ I can prolly loan you something to try out.

RyX likes this.
  17. Brandon Sanders

Thank you sir!! I'll let you know!!

18. RyX

RyX DoH!

date code marked.jpg
    If the underside is dirty, use an old toothbrush and Dawn dish soap with hot water to remove old soap. These razors are Nickel plated Brass. Other cleaning products may damage the finish. Above you can just barely see the letter "D" on the left, the number"3" on the right in the red circles. This is from a 1958 third quarter (July- September).

19. Brandon Sanders

Oh okay!! I'll do that tomorrow when I go to shave again!!

20. Brandon Sanders

Thanks for all your advice and help!!

RyX likes this.