Russian blades.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jbrew, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

So my sample pack of Russian blades arrived today. Any comments on any of these blades? I've heard lots of good things about vohskods but not much about the others. uploadfromtaptalk1453905952492.jpg

2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

The Rapira PL are among my favorite blades. The Rapira stainless are also good, IMO.

3. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

Cool I was curious about the platinum lux. Think I will try the gillette rubies first. Haven't heard anything about those

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  4. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

All are serviceable, sharp, blades. I can use any of them with adequate results.

BigCabDaddy, Robyflexx and Jayaruh like this.
  5. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

I have not had a bad experience with any of those blades. That being said, I haven't yet tried the Sputnik or Red & Blue Rapiras.

Of the ones shown, for me, the Ladas are my favorite followed by the Voskhod.
    I have found, at least for me, all of these Russian blades tend to be a little harsh at first, probably due to there sharpness, but have a "sweet spot" that is achieved between shaves 3-6

BigCabDaddy, PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.
  6. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

I am a big fan of the Ladas and the Swedish Supersteel. The others (other than Gillette Rubie which I have not tried) are also good, but those two are my favorites. As Steve said, they usually take me a shave or two to "break them in" and then they work great for several shaves.

7. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

Just used a gillette rubie in a red tip super speed and I was very pleased. Plenty sharp and smooth for me as well.

BigCabDaddy and Robyflexx like this.
  8. gott654

gott654 Well-Known Member

Out of all those blades Sputnik is #1, Ladas #2, white box Rapira and Voskhod felt about the same.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Only your face can answer your question:) Case in point: @Norcalnewb likes the Rapira's, to me they were the very worst:signs002:

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  10. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

You are right - blades are a trial and error experience and some don't work and some are great. I happen to really like Rapira. I've tried the Swedish supersteel and the stainless, but not the Platinum lux yet. It's on my list to try.

Robyflexx likes this.
  11. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I have a 100 each of Voskhod and Rapira. Main drivers in my DE89, NEW SC and Old Type(s).

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I've used them all, and I got good results. No complaints. Good blades all.

13. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I've been waiting on the very same pack since Dec. 11th :(

14. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

There is a thread discussing that pack. I think it's called Russian blade shootout or something similar. I have 3 shaves with a Voskhod, but I haven't tried the others yet. I like the Voskhod though.

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Another case of, "You gotta ask your face." I didn't really care for the Voskhods. But that's me.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Voskhod and Rubies are very good, for me. The others work well too.

17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I ordered 300 Voskhod last year, when they were very cheap. Around $21.50 for 300, shipped. Very reliable, and longer lasting, in all my razors.

18. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

The only of those I have in bulk r Voskhod. Very good consistent blade for the price.

19. wolftiger

wolftiger New Member

I tried them all and i like many of them. For some reason is the Swedish supersteel better than the others in my Merkur future.

20. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

Somethings up with that. I ordered mine Jan 12 and got them today.

BigCabDaddy likes this.