Russian DE Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jwr0201, Jan 11, 2015.

1. jwr0201

jwr0201 Active Member

with the good prices that Russion blades are going for, I'd like some advice on whether they are good blades for someone new to wetshaving. I see names like Rapira, Voskhod, Sputnik, Lux, Ladas, etc.
    I bought 100 Astra SP blades from a recommendation. Advice, please! I know that blades can be very subjective, but don't want to start off with something too aggressive, like Feathers!

2. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Astras are good and sharp blades, a good all around performer. I'm not sure if you are asking because you want to buy more blades?

I was impressed by the Rapira blades, and would take advantage of the sale prices.

3. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

All of them are good, some are great. Unfortunately blades are an item of such personal preference, only you can know which is right for you. The good thing is if you don't like any of those, they cost you little. The Astras you already have are one of my favorites, as are most on the list.

4. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Voskhods are in my top 3. I'm neutral on Ladas and Rapira. Not a fan of Astra.

BigMark likes this.
  5. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

I like the Voskhods too. In fact I just ordered 100 of them.

6. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

You won't know till you try them out. Rapira, Voskhod and Astra should be winners.

7. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

Astras are a pretty balanced blade that work in more people than most blades do. If you had a correlation coefficient matrix of people's blade opinions, you'd see that everyone had a high correlation with Astras. There's a higher probability on average that when people shave, they use Astras than other blades.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    Radiotube likes this.
  8. rougaroo

rougaroo New Member

I was a fan of Keramik, but I haven't seen them in awhile. I like the Astras and find them better than the Swedish or Israeli Personnas.

Rougaroo

9. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Try some of each and see what you like:
    Tryablade.com

And then make a bulk purchase if one hits the spot.

WhiskerWhacker likes this.
  10. s2mason

s2mason New Member

I find blade recommendations almost useless. The first blade I ever used was a Feather and got great shaves. It must have been because I didn't know they were to aggressive for my newbie ski and technique. I have tried many blades from the lesser aggressive camp and by and large they don't work out for me. I can't even use Derby's because I'd pass out from blood loss after they chew half my face off. Blades are definitely a YMMV item.

11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Yes. Buy them. Great prices won't last forever. Ladas, any of the Rapira, Voskhod. Buy. Buy. Buy.

12. Seabs

Seabs Well-Known Member

Set the bar high with a sharp blade huh?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2015
  13. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Rapira lux are about equal to Crystal blades, I use either. I'm not too crazy over the Russian made Gillette blades some guys feel there great tho, The Voskhod blades are also a good blade, before buying 100 get sampler pack Italian Barber sells Russian blades by 100, good prices too.

14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Your going to pay $5-$8 per 100 right now from IB. This is the best time to buy Russian blades as the rubble has dropped.

15. s2mason

s2mason New Member

I'm not sure...... It's one of the few blades that seems to perform very well for me. Guess I got lucky finding it early on. I figure newbies ought to get a good sampler pack and not be afraid of using the Feather early on.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2015
    Slow Joe and Seabs like this.
  16. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

I'm waiting on a sample pack from Russia (Voskhod's, Lada's, Rapira's). I've never used these brands but have heard good things. The price was sure good at less than $0.10 per blade. I've used Russian blades such as Astra (SP & SS), Gillette 7 o'clock blues, greens & yellows with great success. I'm expecting them to be similar...........

Seabs likes this.
  17. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Sampler packs are important for sure.
    Bought more Rapira's last week

s2mason likes this.
  18. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Best thing you can do is get as many sample blades as you can, so you can find what works best with your face and technique..)

19. Dtram

Dtram Member

Bought a sample off the bay with various brands when I started wet shaving. Settled on the Astras and haven't regreted it. I get at least 5 shaves per blade.

20. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

Yeah, this thread certainly proves that some people hate everyone's favorite, and this is all highly subjective.