Russian razor blades: Voskhod/ Rapira..are they solid?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tazorac, Jun 18, 2017.

1. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

I want to try Russian made razor blades but don't want to waste my money. For those of you, who has used them, can you get at least 3 good shaves from them?

2. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I always get around 7 shaves from either blade. I think they are great value and would not hesitate to buy them again, when I finally run out of blades in the next 10 years or so.

Douglas Carey and cliffb599 like this.
  3. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Russian blades are great. I have several different kinds. Not a problem with them. I get from 4 to 7 shaves out of one blade.
    My favorite is voskhod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Douglas Carey likes this.
  4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

With the exception of Feather, all my favorite blades come from Russia. Voskhod is a good one, Gillette Silver Blue is another.

5. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Voskhod. 'nuff said.

6. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I have a hefty supply of Rapira Super Stainless and Rapira Swedish Super Steel blades. I use the Super Stainless in mild razors and the Swedish Super Steel more moderate to aggressive razors. As for Voskhod, I don't get it. They have an excellent reputation but I found them to be highly overrated.

gorgo2, PanChango and Douglas Carey like this.
  7. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

The Voskhod were good but I preferred the Rapira Platinum Lux.

Yes, even with my Brillo beard and daily shaving, I can get 3 or more shaves IF I control the angle to shear and not scrape. If you are scraping, I don't care what blade you talk about, you will not get very long from the blade. This is the key, or so I am told, to blade longevity - technique.

8. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Love Russian blades and yes i use each blade 3 times. Gillette silver blue and rapira are some of my favorites.

spacehobo and Douglas Carey like this.
  9. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Weirdly enough, I couldn't stand Voskhod. However, Rapira Platinum Lux and Gillette Nacet were GREAT.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

As opposed to liquid or gas, yes, they are solid.

:happy102::happy097: I crack me up!

I'm going to go color, now.

11. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Russian blades is where it's at.

Gillette Yellows, Perma-Sharp Super and Voskhod are among the best blades I've ever tried... and I've tried many... :D But it's truly YMMV with blades.

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

To be serious, Voskhods will give me good shaves, not great shaves. But that's me. Astra SPs give me great shaves.

Linuxguile and PickledNorthern like this.
  13. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I like Voskhod so much, I bought 5,000 of them... Or is it 2500? @IAmTheJody how many blades was in that master case???

Linuxguile likes this.
  14. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

:signs011:

15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I used to really enjoy the Voskhod blades, but have come to prefer the Rapira Swedish Supersteel

How many do you still have on hand?

16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

V's never agreed with me but I remember that I liked Rapira when I tried them. I'm not a shave counter so I cannot tell you how many shaves I get out of any blade.

Linuxguile likes this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You're not alone. I had some PIFd to me, or maybe the travel box. Recall finding then tolerable but barely, not enough to ever buy any.

18. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

1779 left... So got 2500, gave some away, mebbie?

19. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

You can't go wrong with them blades.

20. LKLive13

LKLive13 Well-Known Member

I love a voskhod! They go well for me in just about any razor