Russian Straight Razor Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Roger That..Comrade..:happy097:

Billy..:chores016:

2. mlys7884

mlys7884 Well-Known Member

I've measured one from 1960's in pretty good shape, which is on picture above, its spin is .181, I hope you'll get other Rusky before Christmas:)

3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

It is at the honemeister now. Looking forward to getting it next week with any luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Smart move. Make someone else do the honing on those things.

5. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Da Comrades, I am pleased to report that shipments from the Ukraine are flowing again at the expected rate. I have 2 more coming - including a 1941 (the year of the Nazi invasion of Russia) - that made it through the process in about 3 weeks. They are now in the US postal system headed to @gssixgun for honing. :)

6. mlys7884

That's right, it became to normal and now takes about 14 business day like usual:happy096:.
    I'm waiting for review about ZTV 1941 from you and @gssixgun, in my opinion that one was made from softer steel than razors manufactured after WWII

7. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I'm curious about the steel quality as well since I have to imagine production of steel at that factory was ramped up significantly due to the need to fight the Nazis (since it was the factory that made arms as well.) My hunch is it will either be lower standard steel as quality may have been sacrificed for volume and the lowest quality diverted from arms to non-essential items. Or, if I am lucky, the quality standards got raised in face of the invasion and it will be a higher quality steel. Either way, I'd imagine there were not as many razors made that year and the following years due to the war effort. :chores016:

Spyder, DaltonGang, mlys7884 and 3 others like this.
  8. mlys7884

Yeah, razors made in this year really extremely rare appear on market, especially in good shape like yours

9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

[​IMG]
    My two newest arrivals. I will be getting these on stones this weekend.

I have 1 last one coming from Glen @gssixgun. Hope to have that next weekend.

Tom

10. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    :happy096:..Happy Honing Comrade..:eatdrink047:

11. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Where the heck do you find these cartoons. They are great.

12. mlys7884

13. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Now that is awesome. I'd like to see the whole razor. Is the spine gilded? :signs002:

14. mlys7884

Yes, some razors from series "Podarok"(Gift) made by ZTV in 1950's have gilded spine and engraving on their blades also were made with gold.
    DSCN2236.JPG

Drygulch, Karl G, twhite and 2 others like this.
  15. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I Received this Absolute NOS Mint Russian Dvuhzakovnaya 5/8th (Double forged ) 1962 Birth Year SR Today..The Pics Don't Do this SR Any Justice..My Friend @Karl G Kindly Sent Me it as a Birthday Present..He Highlighted the Razor a Few Weeks Ago & Egged Me to Buy it..Well..What a Wonderful Surprize I Had Today when I Opened the Parcel from Our Friend @NCoxSTL in the Ukraine..I Will Hone Her Up Tonight I Reckon..;)

The Factory Edge is Set a Lot Closer than the Later One I Received from the 1970s..In Other Words their Doesn't Appear to be a Lot of Metal to Remove & the Steel Feels & Looks a Bit Softer..I Reckon this will Hone Up in Jig Time..:D

Thank You Karl..I Am Delighted..:happy036:

16. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I was wondering what Neal @NCoxSTL was doing in the Ukraine. I know he likes Russian steel, but that's a long trip.

17. mlys7884

Maybe he came to Ukraine to celebrate New Year and Orthodox Christmas ? Everybody welcome:signs046:

We have enough good vodka and beautiful girls here;)
    3e926891f8965b82cda22ff0d8e91dd2_118.jpg

Karl G, NCoxSTL, Redfisher and 3 others like this.
  18. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I Just Honed My Russian Dvuhzakovnaya 5/8th..I Set the Bevel in 5 Minute's Flat & it Took a Laser Like Edge on the Progression..This 1960s Joby is Softer Steel than My Later 1970s Joby..The Factory Grind is Par Excellence & its Took One Serious Scalpel Like Edge..It Took a Very Small Micro Bevel..1962 was a Good Year for Russkie SRs & the Birth of a Scotsman..:D

Oh Man..This is Sharp..:happy102:

19. mlys7884

Yes, people on Russian forum also say that "Dukhovnaya" easy to hone because of soft steel, actually this was оne of the most common models of razors in Soviet Union.

20. Billyfergie

Yeah..They are Spot On..Lovely Steel on the Hone..It was a Real Pleasure to Hone this Blade..:happy088:

Spyder, Bjoerge Brathagen and Karl G like this.