Safety Razor Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by emtmassey, Nov 5, 2015.

1. emtmassey

emtmassey New Member

My sample pack I ordered arrived today and was wondering if y'all had any favorites out of the group. I'm still trying to find a blade I like so figured the sampler is the way to go.

They are:
    LORD Super Chrome
    LORD Platinum Class
    LORD Super Stainless
    LORD Classic
    SHARK Super Stainless
    SHARK Super Chrome
    ASCO Super Stainless
    BIGBEN Super Stainless
    [​IMG]CROWN Super Stainless

Hodge, gorgo2, SHAVEWIZARD420 and 2 others like this.
  2. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I enjoyed the Lord Platinum and Big Ben blades.

Enjoy the sampler.

gorgo2 likes this.
  3. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    I've only tried the Lord Platinum and the Shark Chrome. Enjoy them both. Recently bought 100 Sharks, but haven't had them in a shave-off. Big Bens are on my "some day" list.

Looks like a good sampler. Let us know your fave.

Enjoy!

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've used the Sharks and they were ok, but that was way back when I first began "traditional" shaving. My 3 favorite blades now a days are:
    Polsilver Super Iridiums
    Vikings Sword
    Astra SP...:)

Hodge and Robyflexx like this.
  5. emtmassey

emtmassey New Member

It's $5.15 plus shipping on Amazon and it comes with 2 blades of each.

6. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I always found Asco to be a nice blade.

7. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I didn't really like either of the Sharks. The Lord Platinums were good to me though.

8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

None of the ones you picked up. :( Big Ben is ok.

chrisbd and mikewood like this.
  9. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hello, I have at least 200 of the Shark Super Chrome blades left, and I love them. They were my goto blade, but recently I tried Polsilver Super Iridium blades and they are a new favorite. So until I finish my 7 more tucks of Polsilvers, the Shark Super Chrome will have to idle in neutral. But they are a great blade.

10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yeah, that.^^^

If you find yourself wishing you had a sharper blade, try Feather's, Astra Superior Platinum's, Iridium's, or Polsilver's.

You'll find there's three types of people on the Shave Den. Those who like Lord's and Shark's, and those who don't. Those who don't tend to gravitate towards the sharper spectrum of blades. I've referenced the most common/popular of those above.

The third type are contrary, and don't fit into my neatly defined parameters above. :)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Shark Super Chrome, Asco, and Lord Platinum. They were good for me.

12. emtmassey

emtmassey New Member

I have a pack of feathers that came with my Edwin Jagger DE86. I used those first starting out and they were too sharp, tore my neck to hell. I might try them again after I go through some other options and get my form and basics more tuned.

13. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

My favs arent in your sampler....i like feathers and astra sp... if you havent tried em i think you should give em a shot

Spud likes this.
  14. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I really think you had bad luck to get one of the many bad sampler packs. There are quite a few sampler pack having really cheap and by many considered bad blades. It is quite a good business for some to buy super cheap blades and make those sample packs.

I think you would need to additionally get Voskhod, Astra SP, Polsilver SI (or Gillette Silver Blue), Feather (and/or KAI).

NapalmCola, BigCabDaddy and mikewood like this.
  15. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

I just finished day five with an ASCO in my FATBOY I thought it was a decent blade.Before that I used the LORD PLATINUM, SHARK SUPERCHROME and BIG BEN The BIG BEN was the only one I couldn't get five days with but all the blades were smooth,But as with everything else YMMV.

16. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

Great idea to start with a sampler pack.
    I discovered my preferences were MUCH different from other people's preferences. So, whatever you like is the correct answer.

I am pretty much a noob and have tried about a dozen different types. None of the ones you mention, sorry. I chose a larger sampler pack of 5 blades each to give each brand several tries. My shaving skills improved and my preferences changed. Do not be surprised if you find a favorite then change to something you hated before.

Good idea. I would add BIC. Many people like it, that brand did not work for me.

It is just fun trying new stuff. Enjoy!

NapalmCola and BigCabDaddy like this.
  17. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I like the Big Ben blades. Lord also makes great blades as well.

gorgo2 likes this.
  18. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

I just got done with the Lord Super Stainless out of my sample pack. It's the first one I tried and I'm not a fan. In fact, if you want the other...

19. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

I went from the Lord Super Stainless to the Gillette Silver Blue from my own sampler pack yesterday. The Gillette is a huge improvement for me.

Robyflexx likes this.
  20. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I shaved with Gillette silver blues yesterday and this morning found them to be pretty smooth.

BigCabDaddy likes this.