Safety Razor Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by emtmassey, Nov 5, 2015.

1. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

I want to like Astra and persona but they didn't work for me either.

NapalmCola likes this.
  2. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Their lack of precision in manufacturing other things historically, (mainly motorcycles and instruments in my familiarity) makes it so hard for me to wrap my head around Russian razor blades.

xnykid and NapalmCola like this.
  3. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Here's a pic of the sampler I got not a whole lot of stuff but very happy with this starter pack, trying the Voskhod tomorrow. :bounce015: s-l400 (1).jpg

xnykid and NapalmCola like this.
  4. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

Ya, this is a picture of the quality control supervisor on his break.
    uploadfromtaptalk1447016926551.jpg

BigCabDaddy and Robyflexx like this.
  5. Robyflexx

6. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

that is a darn good cross section right there.

7. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

That is an excellent sample pack in my opinion!

NapalmCola and Robyflexx like this.
  8. Robyflexx

Thanks, happy so far not one bad blade but some favs already. :happy036:

NapalmCola likes this.
  9. NapalmCola

While they are not the best blades out there. They are included in some sample packs (so they can't be to bad right ?). I am happy to send out some Dorco ST -300's for new shavers to try. I have plenty due to them selling 2 for $1.00 near me. Pm me if your interested

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  10. Robyflexx

Shaved with the voskhod for the 1st time this morning xnykid super sharp and smooooth that blade agrees well with my skin, even in a hurry I pulled off a DFS! :thanks: for your help.

NapalmCola and xnykid like this.
  11. NapalmCola

My wife rarely notices when I shave. Unless it is a scent she really likes, or doesn't. But the first time I used a Voshkod she asked what I did different, did I buy a new razor or something? She asked because it was such a close shave she couldn't help but notice and comment on it even. I knew I had a winner at that moment. Oh and the blade too.

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. Robyflexx

It's awesome when our ladies notice, that must have been one hell of a shave! :happy096:

NapalmCola likes this.
  13. emtmassey

emtmassey New Member

Used the Lord Super Chrome the past 2 shaves. Not a fan. Seems dull and doesn't give a close shave even after 4 passes.

NapalmCola and BigCabDaddy like this.
  14. emtmassey

emtmassey New Member

Got my new sampler pack today. I'm taking a few days off from shaving while I'm on my 4 days off from work. Looking forward to trying some of the most suggested blades on here.

15. 24Fanatic365

24Fanatic365 Active Member

Out of the blades represented, I gotta say both the Big Bens and the Ascos were pleasant surprises, and worked the best for me. Have fun in your blade testing!!

NapalmCola likes this.
  16. emtmassey

emtmassey New Member

The new ones I got are the
    Personna Lab Blue
    Polish Super Iridium
    Rapira Platinum Lux
    Gillette Silver Blue
    Feather Hi-Stainless

NapalmCola likes this.
  17. NapalmCola

Maybe Big Ben is more razor dependent than most blades. I didn't have an enjoyable experience with it in my old type Gillette. I will have to give it another shot in a few different razors before making a final verdict. Asco is on my list of one's to try.

18. 24Fanatic365

Napalm, have you tried either the Big Bens or Ascos in a 50s or 60s Superspeed? Different animals on that. Alas, I got rid of my Old Type before I truly perfected my technique. Never did get a smooth shave with it... Guess I'll have to scare up another one on the cheap and give it another run! Lol!

NapalmCola likes this.
  19. NapalmCola

I have not tried it in one of those yet. I unfortunately didn't practice what I preach with this one yet. I had other SOTD planned that pulled me from continuing with the blade.
    Tomorrow is my " Red White and Blue" shave. I will give it another go on Saturday. I can't on Sunday because it is my support my Raiders football team good luck shave. But on Saturday I can try either my 1954 Z-2 Super Speed or my 1968 N-4 Super Speed. I can very rarely tell a difference. So rarely if it's the same blade I attribute it to shave prep. Any recommendations as to which SS to use ?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  20. 24Fanatic365

I don't really notice a whole lot of difference between the 50s & 60s Flair tips. I think the 50s might have a slight edge in performance for me, but that could be one of those imagined wetshaving differences...

And what exactly is your Red White and Blue shave, if you don't mind my asking?