Safety Razors: My Trip from Mild to Aggressive

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by HolyRollah, Oct 5, 2013.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Took a bigger step in razor shaving aggressiveness with a new purchase. The new straight razor may take the discussion out of the realm of just safety razors, but not necessarily.
    I have been making it a habit of using both my left and right more in shaving—not easy to do at first—but I wish to be more adept with both hands as I begin to introduce a Straight Razor into the mix. Using an R41 with a feather blade in my weaker (off hand) hand was and still is a constant challenge, but it is getting easier with each shave. I now use my left hand for the left side; the right hand for the right, for both lathering and DE shaving.

[​IMG]

2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Another option for you is a Schick injector. The thin head on those does a great job getting into those hollows for me. The slant might do the trick too.

3. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Picked up a Gem micromatic today (got a Gillette super speed and the Gem micromatic for $7.00)
    I am crazy anxious to try it. Now I have to find some single edge blades, crap!

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Yes indeed. And NOT at the hardware store. ;)

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. I like an aggressive razor. A slim on 9 wasn't enough. My Muhle R41 (2013) is fantastic! I'm actually nervous to try a SE. Maybe down the road, way down. The Futur is one I'm very interested in. Thanks for the great information.

Tdmsu and HolyRollah like this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Reference Point
    Okay, now that I have recently had my first complete shave with a straight razor (SR) (this after several 'build-up' days leading up to complete shave), at least now I have a better reference point regarding razor aggressiveness. It is tough to find a more aggressive, or 'efficient' shaving method than to drag a surgically-sharp 3" blade across one's face.

So what is the closet thing I've found so far to the 'straight razor' shaving experience in the DE realm?

It comes as no surprise that the notorious Mühle R41 is, in my opinion, the DE razor that approximates both the feel and results a SR provides. I am referring here to the 2011 version of the R41—I have not yet tried the somewhat tamer 2013 incarnation. Those who have claim the 2013 is still an aggressive razor, but more forgiving than the 2011 version. Perhaps someday the newer version will cross my path to try.

However, another DE razor comes very close to the R41 in terms of raw blade exposure and potential blood-letting. The Merkur Futur—a large, sleek-looking adjustable that when opened to the max (a setting of 5.5 to 6) really replicates the 'raw' edge feel the R41 and creeps into straight-razor "Dear Lord! be careful!" territory. The Futur, in my experience, is a bit easier to use than R41—more forgiving and easier to find a comfortable angle. A slip-up with the Mühle and you'll get bitten. Both razors require good technique and attention to detail—just as a straight razor does. But like the straight razor, if used properly, the shaver is rewarded with an exceptionally close shave in minimal passes.

Tdmsu and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  7. dinatali

dinatali Well-Known Member

8. dcc

dcc Well-Known Member

Only without safety bar,with is medium aggressive.

[​IMG]

PLANofMAN likes this.
  9. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Yuma.....$2.98. For real? Can it possibly be worth putting near your face for less than $3.00?
    Do you have one?
    If a quality razor can be had for that price, wow. That would seriously be a great thing.

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Good Thread, thx for starting it

11. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I'm lucky in that my skin is as far from sensitive as you can get and still be a carbon based life form. In my forty-plus years of shaving I've only experienced razor burn a handful of times. I just love to shave so much that the more passes the better. Anything that extends the experience.

Weishi Warrior and Cool Breeze like this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Ah,and there's the rub. Yes, it appears one can get a decent shave from these Yumas—and they have their loyalists—but the more I read up on these bad boys, the less inclined I am to try one. It's a $3.00 razor so quality in the build is surely compromised, but it does hold a blade and one can shave with it successfully. The Yuma has extensive (scary) blade exposure as you view it, but the high-arching head design actually minimizes the blade gap, providing a reasonable angle to get a comfortable shave—so I am told.
    Some Yuma users say the little razor appears aggressive, but in reality due to the head slope angle, it's on the same par as a Gillette Tech with regards to blade gap.
    Now removing the safety bars off the razor, as DCC mentions above, probably changes this dynamic entirely—meaning you may now have complete blade edge exposure.

13. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

14. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I'm in Turkey, and held one of those at the equivalent of a flea market....Nope, not for me...not much metal in that metal :D You could easily snap that rascal into with your finger tips :eek:
    I know some people like them and if it works for you I'm behind you 100%....Like the man said, if it holds a blade....;)

I love the OCMM, I never really think of it as scary aggressive, but rather extremely efficient. But I'll tell you....I shaved with an Ever Ready 1924; dare I say it;...Shovelhead today....Wow! Fantastic...closest thing to a great Str8 shave I've ever gotten from a safety razor (YMMV)...One pass left me shiney & BBS...I guess this one would definitely fall into the aggressive catagory, but a better designed more intuitive whisker remover you could not ask for...;)

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

So it's been several weeks now and I have been alternating between DE razors and straight razors pretty regularly. Some days I'll use the DE; others I'll use the straights for two passes, & finish all the touchup with a DE razor. What has been interesting for me is comparing the differences in not only the quality of the shaves, but the whole prep & process that goes into using either a DE or straight razor.

Getting A Quality Shave: Equally obtainable by using either a straight our DE razor. The biggest difference is the steeper learning curve in using a straight razor. Most DE razors are pretty forgiving, even for a wet-shaving newbie. Sure, I wouldn't hand a new wet-shaver a hyper-aggressive R41 or similar razor, but the majority of vintage or new DE razors are user-friendly. Once you develop the right 'touch' and an appropriate angle, DE shaving is pretty automatic, and getting good results simply takes a bit of practice. With the straight razor, having the right touch and angle is not only recommended, but it is essential. The very nature of the act ( dragging a fully exposed 3" ultra-sharp blade across your face) does not leave much room for error) is one that requires the user's full attention. To fully feel competent using a straight razor, as well as a DE razor, simply takes...

Practice, Practice, Practice: No way around it. If you wish to have success in wet-shaving(either DE or straight), practice makes perfect—or, at least a comfortable, close shave. Many DE wet-shavers come directly from shaving with cartridges, and will never go back. Some still enjoy the cartridge shaves and alternate between the multi blades & DEs. The step from cartridge shaving to DE razor shaving is a small, but significant step. I personally hated shaving with cartridges, and dreaded my morning shaves. Going with a DE razor, good quality soaps lathered on with a competent brush, was a shaving revelation to me. In my progression through mild to aggressive razors (mostly DE, some SE), I was finally confident to take the next step: straight razors. I could NOT imagine going from cartridges to straights. I know many shavers have done so, or some even learned how to shave with a straight razor (my grandpa did at 15!). In my own experience, my slow & steady migration through a variety of DE razors honed my skills in using aggressive razors, which prepped me for the jump into straights.
    If you feel you'd like to use a straight razor, let me encourage you to try. You many not need the lengthy process or path I took to finally jump on the SR bandwagon, but I do recommend using more aggressive DE razors for the benefits outlined in this thread: developing a light touch, being methodical in one's approach, finding the most efficient angle on your face, and conditioning the face to the feel of the blade's edge.

One note: it does take a while to feel comfortable using a Straight razor. Unlike a DE razor where after about a week or so of regular shaving, you can pretty much see how to maximize your results and 'get to know' the razor. With straight razors, I've heard folks claim it can take six months to a year of regular shaving just to get comfortable and be an efficient shaver. I can't speak for other's experiences, but I do know it will be while before I truly feel comfortable with a straight. In the meantime, I am quite content to alternate back & forth with my two remaining DE razors—the Mühle R41 & Merkur Futur—both rated pretty high on the 'aggressive' scale.

Tdmsu likes this.
  16. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

This is a great thread! I find myself reading it over and over. Lots of great info. I might be looking at an R41, Futur or Fatip Grande in the near future. I thought RAD was over!

BamaT and HolyRollah like this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

If you want a true OC, the Fatip would do quite nicely. On the plus side, it is a fairly aggressive razor but without the 'harshness' some experience with the 'old' R41. The only real downside of the FaTip for me was the quality. The fit & finish were not great, especially on the top cap. It is cheaper than most Mühles & Merkurs, so I suppose I need to lower my expectations in some areas.
    The Futur s a VERY versatile razor—it can be adjusted to über-mild to scary wild (numerical range of 1 to 6). I really enjoy using it. They come up often in the used market ($50-$60) in either chrome or more commonly, matte finish.
    The newer R41 (My R41 Comparison) is less aggressive than the older (2013 vs 2011) and I would recommend it for those new to aggressive razors. However, with some practice, an experienced straight shaver would feel right at home with the highly-aggressive 2011 model.

Tdmsu and CyanideMetal like this.
  18. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Hehehe great advise, but you realize now I want ALL of them right?!?

The versatility of the Futur is what I find appealing. The forgiveness of the Fatip Grande is what I find desirable. Yet the quality of the Muhle is what might make it the best choice! Dear razor Lord, what shall I do? (Obviously buy them all!)

BamaT and HolyRollah like this.
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Well know this. IF you decide to buy them ALL and after comparing the lot, you decide to keep only one (or two), you'll have no problem finding a buyer. They all sell fairly quickly on the used market.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  20. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Yeah I probably won't. The price of the FaTip is quite affordable. The lack of a quality finish isn't a big deal to me as long as the shave still feels like a million bucks! But if the parts don't fit so good and the blade alignment isn't perfect, that could be an issue. The Muhle's price point is almost as high as the Futur, and for the difference, I'd rather have the versatility of an adjustable. The real question is, which one worked best for you as an everyday razor?

Side note: anyone been using the Merkur Progress much? How does that rate?