Safety Razors: My Trip from Mild to Aggressive

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by HolyRollah, Oct 5, 2013.

1. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Kevin, I started straight razor shaving about 3 years ago and I too had carpal tunnel syndrome and surgeries for it in both hands along with 4 surgeries for trigger finger. On top of that I have familial tremor in my hands that gets worse with age. Other than that initial shave or two with a lots of trembling, straight razor shaving calmed me and my hands right down. I can even shave the top of my head with a straight without nicks. Straights do slow you down. I get into an almost meditative state when shaving.

Slow Joe, HolyRollah and PatrickA51 like this.
  2. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

That's interesting, very interesting subject. I have numbness in both of my hands. My dominant hand it is bad but

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

There is an almost meditative state I also find myself in when straight-razor shaving—a concentrated focus on the task as well as a pondering of the upcoming day's activities. I wind up looking forward to this quiet task most mornings, especially as time allows for it.
    I'm not sure if my wife would be ready for that…;)

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  4. PatrickA51

I tried to edit my post but who knows.

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

You're just missing a "[" before the "/QUOTE]" after the word, 'forearm.' ;)

6. PatrickA51

My edit of the post ended up in the lower quote section.

7. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Very similar for me. I like my Tech as too close of shave gives me irritation. I decided to go to milder instead of more aggressive and found it works better for me even though I have a very coarse beard.

8. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

I enjoy my Tech quite a bit. I have found shaving nirvana for me anyway with the R89 on a Bull Mastiff handle. If you are liking the shaves with the Tech. You might want to try a Short Comb NEW. I find it just as mild as the Tech but seems to make me a bit smoother on my trouble spot areas.

But....I have since posting that found a great use for aggressive razors. I use my Barbasol FH on days when might be in a rush. I just do one downward pass. It doesn't give me a smooth to the touch shave. Just good enough where I don't look homeless/hipster. Well...until 4:00 anyway.;)

9. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Kevin, did you ever try a Cobra Classic? Has anyone here moved on to these after having had the R41 for example? Cheers!

10. Barrylu

Barrylu Well-Known Member

I have the R41 (nice). ATT (nicer) Cobra Classic ( much nicer) King Cobra (outstanding) I reviewed the King Cobra on this forum a few days ago.

Metro likes this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I have not had the opportunity to try a Cobra. The price of entry is a bit steep, so I've settled on living vicariously through the experience and opinions of others (such as Barry). Someday, maybe.

Slow Joe and PatrickA51 like this.
  12. PatrickA51

I have the Weber 3pc. 85mm/Classic Handle {Superior} The Atlas 7pc. Set {Good} 1968 Gillette Knack {Good all around razor} Vintage 1951 Gillette W-2 Super Speed DE/ TTO {Birth Year Razor} {Great but handle too short}
    That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

All excellent razor choices, Patrick!:happy088:
    Although I don't believe any of them would be considered on the 'aggressive' side.

14. PatrickA51

Kevin
    I think the Atlas might be a little aggressive if I use the H-1 base plate, but I have to agree about the other base plates.

HolyRollah likes this.
  15. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

What a good read, learn something new every day, thank you gents for sharing.

PatrickA51 and HolyRollah like this.
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

These threads are always interesting when you get a good amount of information and participation from a wide variety of TSD members!

Slow Joe, ObiDon and PatrickA51 like this.
  17. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, when I first started shaving, I did so with a shavette bought from Sally's Beauty Supply. This was back in the 1990s. My only complaint then was that, not knowing any better, I failed to properly dry it off after my shave and as a result the blades tended to rust into the razor, leaving me unable to remove them. Now I know not to leave it wet, especially if it's a vintage straight. (I've got my eye on a restored Dubl Duck that I intend to get if it's still available when I get paid this week.)

Keithmax likes this.
  18. oldcars

oldcars Member

I've got a Cobra Classic and it's a bit rough. Funny though, I put it away for a few months and used it yesterday and it sure seemed to be a lot less harsh than I remember.

Keithmax likes this.
  19. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

My trip from mild to aggressive ended with a pre war tech. R41 did not work for me, fattip was great but still to aggressive, i have a pretty thick fast growing beard, two days of no shaving for me looks like a week or more for others, and my hair grows in every direction. The r41 was terrible actually, if felt like the blade did not get the support it needed, it would catch abd flex and essentially yank the hair out, the fat tip was fine but to harsh to use daily, the tech gave smooth 2 pass bbs, and i switch between that and my slim on a 5. Lately i have been expirementing with a gem SE which has been giving amazing shaves, the audible feedback was a but unnerving at first. Straights are fun but takes more time then I want to spend. Ymmv of course but aggresdive was not the answer for me.

Keithmax likes this.