Safety razors, that are NOT made of zamak/pot metal/die-cast zinc...?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by everraser, Aug 25, 2017.

1. everraser

everraser New Member

Most of the available safety razors are made of zamak/pot metal/die-cast zinc and therefore are brittle when exposed to peaks of force.

Are there safety razors, that are NOT made of zamak/pot metal/die-cast zinc...?

I would prefer a razor made of something like (stamped?) Brass, Stainless Steel...
    I want my razor to outlive me OR at least it should last longer than 15 years *lol* :D

Thank you for your input! (Please deliver a source for your claims or at least some anecdotal evidence)

Any suggestions are welcome :)

CarlfromMO likes this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    High their, @everraser , glad you have joined us. Check in at the Welcome Center for a proper welcome. You can spend big bucks on "modern" razors made from brass or stainless steel. I prefer vintage Gillettes and Gem/EverReadys that are made of brass. They have already lasted a lifetime and will keep going. I shave with a Gem Jr. Lather Catcher that was made in 1911. I have just acquired an English Gillette Rocket c. 1958 that is the smoothest shaver I have ever shaved with. Enjoy your stay.
    zwelcome2.jpg

brit, LOOT, Terry Williams and 2 others like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi and welcome!
    For what it's worth, I don't believe any aspect of the daily shaving routine exposes any razor to "peaks of force."
    Don't whack your razor on the sink and you're okay. Then again, whack any razor on the sink and you run the risk of bending a DE or SE or chipping a str8.

But if what you're really trying to do is avoid zamac or pot metal, vintage is the way to go.

4. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

:signs011:

And welcome to the Den!

5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello and welcome

There are some made of ss or brass or aluminum. But normally cost a bit more.
    I second the vintage route if you can't stand the pot metal.

6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

7. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Most vintage safety razors are mostly or all brass. Lots of Gillettes available for reasonable prices. A lot of them are nearly 100 years old and they still shave just fine. You obviously don't like Zamak or zinc, but I have a few razors with zinc or aluminum caps that are more 70 years old that haven't failed. On old Gillettes (old type and new type) it is the brass tube that seems to fail before the head, in my experience anyway.

Otherwise, if you want modern all stainless or aluminum, then be prepared to spend some $$$. Check these out:
    https://www.abovethetie.com/
    https://www.westcoastshaving.com/Feather-AS-D2-Stainless-Safety-Razor_p_1963.html
    https://www.blacklandrazors.com/
    https://rockwellrazors.com/products/rockwell-6s
    https://timelessrazor.com/

There are others and proponents (and antagonists) of all of them on The Den.

Good luck with your search.

Screwtape and ARGH like this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Gillette transitioned to Zamak in the 60s. German razors (Merkur, Rotbart) and and smaller American manufacturers (Cooper etc) were using cast alloys much earlier.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    jimjo1031 likes this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

10. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

I can't tell you what my razor is made of pther than metal I just wanted to welcome you to the Den.

11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

To answer your inquiry of manufactures of quality non-zamak razors; here are just a few:

Fatip - made of brass from Italy
    Schone - made of brass from Italy
    Rockwell - made of stainless steel from USA
    Most vintage Gillette's Brass
    Feather Stainless from Japan

No sense in repeating anymore from others. :happy088:

12. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I mentioned Fatip razors in another thread already I not only like their OC design, but also appreciate that they are made from brass.

Almost impossible to attain at the moment, but IMHO the stainless steel Mühle Rocca is an outstanding razor.

Bama Samurai and Screwtape like this.
  13. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Isn't the Schone just a rebranded fatip ?

14. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I hate to do this guys but in good faith I cannot recommend a fatip. If you want to try one go ahead, but the Testina Gentile that I bought had a terrible finish and a wavy blade.

15. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Vintage Gillette of course.

16. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

If you are looking for an all stainless steel 3 piece razor that won't break the bank and is on the mild side, you can get a Fendrihan Adventurer MKII. They only cost $35 and are pretty nice razors. I have one and really like it. You can find better for more money, but the Fendrihan MKII all stainless models are a good option IMHO. They make a few different models, all same head different handles. Should last for many decades! Go to their website for more info. Fendrihan.com

FENDRIHAN-3.jpg

brit likes this.
  17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I don't even know what "when exposed to peaks of force" means.

DesertTime, swarden43 and Linuxguile like this.
  18. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I think it's when you nick yourself, get pissed and throw your razor against the wall.

Jim99 and BigMark83 like this.
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

..or dropped upon a hard tile floor.

20. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

If you want a razor that will outlast you consider buying one made before you were born.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Frijolero, Jim99, ninjack and 2 others like this.