Safety razors

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Mlk, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Mlk

Mlk New Member

Hi!
    I'm new here. I started shaving about 18 months ago. I have a merkur R109 and a short Edwin jagger razor . I'd like to try a razor that's a bit more aggressive . I have read and 34C and the Above Tie razors . What do you recommend ?
    Thanks ,
    Mark

RyX, RaZorBurn123 and wristwatchb like this.
  2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @Mlk

I hope you enjoy it here.
    I have both the EJ89 and the Merkur34C. I find they both shave very close with IMO a slight edge in shave comfort to the EJ and in versatility due to the 3 piece design. If your looking for something that is still affordable and comfortable but a bit more aggressive you might want to consider the Merkur SlantBarC37, R41 or Maggard Slant head. All three are affordable and shave close, with the R41 IMO the most aggressive of the lot. :happy088:

3. Mlk

Mlk New Member

Thanks for your reply . Would the 37C be a good 1st slant ? I've heard slants can be unforgiving

4. Mlk

Mlk New Member

What do you think about expensive razors like the aabove the tie razors . Are they worth it ? I appreciate your opinion .

5. Mlk

Mlk New Member

I'm also looking for a good silver tip badger that's not too expensive but is made well. I have fine badger brush from Art of shaving .

6. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Welcome, Mlk.

I have the Merkur 34c and I would recommend that one. I don't have a slant and have never tried one so I don't have an opinion on those.

7. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

Have considered an Injector or a SE razor?

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas.

9. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. I forgot to welcome you to The Den. Welcome to The Den.

10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

@Mlk welcome to TSD from the Great Garden State. I'm fourteen months into this thing of ours. Aggressive you say?
    IMG_0244.JPG
    Here ya go. Gillette Super Adjustable 109. Crank this baby up to "9" with a Voskhod locked and loaded. Closest shave you're gonna get. Stroll over to the 30 Day Rule/Focus thread. It's Adjustable August. There are a plethora of aggressive type razors for you to look at and hear about. I'll be there starting in the morning. Hope to see ya there!

wristwatchb likes this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Welcome to TSD @Mlk

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    High their, @Mlk , sounds like you are off on the right foot.
    zwelcome1.jpg

13. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den!

I concur with @RetLEO-07. Grab a Gillette adjustable and cruise on over to the 3o Day Rule/Focus thread. :happy088:

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  14. wristwatchb

I had a 37C for awhile, liked it, but finally passed it on. It's a very efficient shaver. With solid technique, it's not aggressive at all. The guys on the 30 Day Rule/Focus thread can help you develop your technique.

15. wristwatchb

Our very own @Jayaruh makes some fantastic brush handles. I'm sure he can fix you up with a handle complete with a very nice silver tip knot. His prices for "brush adoptions" are extremely reasonable. Here are a few examples.

178-bplatoon and RetLEO-07 like this.
  16. RetLEO-07

:signs011:

wristwatchb likes this.
  17. RetLEO-07

@Jayaruh does fabulous work. Here's mine. JR#161 made from a Louisville Slugger bat remnant... IMG_0314.JPG
    As you can see, I'm a Mets fan(sigh!)

Infantry23 likes this.
  18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD.

19. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

IMO either the Merkur37C or the Maggard would be good first choices for a slant bar. You will feel blade with both of them and yes they can possibly be a bit unforgiving. However with good technique and by taking your time you can get comfortable, close, irritation free shaves from both without spending ATT money. Just as a side note I pick my razors with comfort a priority over closeness. I'd rather have a DFS with zero irritation than a BBS with irritation. Hope this helps.

20. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

If you want aggressive have you considered an Old Type?
    IMG_1120.JPG