Sanitizing Vintage DE Gillette I1 Slim Ajustable

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Lepidgeon, Nov 6, 2016.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I have a Barbicide jar that I give newly acquired used razors a dunk in, as well as razors I am selling/PIFfing. There are plenty of other ways I could live with, but I have room on my den counter, and I just like it.

2. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

Why on Earth would one want to boil a razor?

3. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I use barbicide. You can find it at Sally beauty supply, some barbershops and stylists, and sometimes at Target or Walmart.

Demidog likes this.
  4. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

It is one of the recommended ways of sterilizing a razor because boiling water kills most bacteria. If you have an object that has been regularly collecting blood, dead skin cells, and soap scum for 60+ years, then some form of sterilization is in order, and water will get in every nook and cranny.

For the record, I went ahead and mostly went through the steps in the first post, and I can confirm that boiling the razor does not remove the paint from the numbers. It did a good job of removing the soap scum. The additional steps are kind of superfluous since boiling is good enough, but I sprayed some Scrubbing Bubbles onto the razor and scrubbed it with a toothbrush, which was more effective than just scrubbing with dish soap since it got rid of some of the more stubborn stains. I finished by dunking the head into isopropyl alcohol mostly just to try and displace any leftover water. The razor isn't pristine and it still kind of looks dirty in some areas, but I'm guessing that's just where the brass is starting to show through the nickel plating.

I also avoided scrubbing the number dial when I used Scrubbing Bubbles, so I can't comment on whether that will remove the paint, but I've read from others that it does so I avoided it. I'd still recommend using Scrubbing Bubbles or a similar product if you have it because that stuff cleans surprisingly well and it smells great. At the hospital, we use Sani-Cloth as the general disinfectant but I doubt anyone has that stuff on hand, including me, otherwise I would have used that after boiling and called it a day.

5. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

Bacteria on a razor does not last "for 60 years." It's doubtful that such bacteria last for 6 weeks, at most, and then under only the most ideal conditions. Dry metal is a very hostile environment for bacteria.

Soap, warm water, a soft toothbrush, and a little gentle scrubbing is all you need. I would think putting the razor outside for a sun bath for several hours after cleaning also would be an insurance. Googling "how long can bacteria last on a hard surface" provides useful insights.

I think it's reasonable to assume a razor on ebay or in an antique store has not seen service for months, maybe even years. Furthermore, how much serious sterilization goes on in barbershops, and how often do barber patrons come down with bacteria born illnesses? And how much serious sterilization goes on in restaurants?

Folks, the word "overkill" is in the dictionary. Let's don't be afraid to use it.

http://www.popsci.com/scitech/artic...nd-viruses-live-surfaces-home-normal-room-tem

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  6. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Following this line of thought... The concern then should not be over whether some dude who last used the razor in the 70s had some horrific disease but whether the random eBay seller washed his hands before mailing it to you.

7. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

Brother John, I love your insightfulness, and thank you for contributing to our fund of knowledge!

8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I take all my razors to my dentist office and have them sterilized.

Razors don't cut. Blades do. ;)

9. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

Razors don't cut. Blades do: Another outstanding observation about bacteria and hygiene that some of us (myself included) may have overlooked!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  10. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I can understand wanting a sterile razor blade...but I don't understand the desire for a sterile razor. When first purchasing a vintage razor a cleaning with soap and water and a quick swab with rubbing alcohol should be sufficient. Viruses and bacteria don't live long on dry metal surfaces. After the initial cleaning-- if it is only used by one person--then there is no need to sanitize on a regular basis. The Barbicide jars in the barbershop were for tools that were used on multiple people on a regular basis. Having said all that...I understand the need to achieve a personal level of "sanitized" comfort for our razors.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  11. DentonMajik

DentonMajik Well-Known Member

Take it to your local hospital and see if they'll run it through one of their steam sterilizers.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

12. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

Some of the purchases I've made off the bay have had so much 'gunk' on them that, I swear to God, a scientist could rebuild someone's Grandpa from the DNA contained. So all my purchases get a really good clean and sterilize before use.

Baz4262 and Demidog like this.
  13. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

I used dishwashing liquid with "oxy" in it for my latest slim (with an old toothbrush) and I was surprised how well it worked. I think it is the gentlest of the options discussed if you are really trepidatious. I used the dishwasher for my shavettes: there are abrasives in some of the detergents which get dishes clean but might be a concern if you think the plating is at risk. I am concerned about using harsh agents like Bubbles on something I am immediately going to put on my face, but that is a personal bias.

Demidog likes this.
  14. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

I have heard that you should only use a sonic cleaner for a few seconds at a time and not expose the painted numbers around the adjustment knob to the cavitation otherwise the paint will come off. An experienced jeweler confirmed these suspicions to me but I have not yet tried it so yhis is all second-hand.

Baz4262 and Demidog like this.