Say hello to my first DE razor =P

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Omelmad, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I was just at the post office after work and brought this baby home with me =D

My very first double edge razor. I decided to go with the Mühle R89.

[​IMG]

I have not used it yet. I will probably tonight because I start at the university tomorrow again. I must look presentable =P

But my first impression is that I LOVE the weight of it in my hand. Surprised me a bit, but in a good way. I know how many grams it is by the description but in the hand it's different.

The handle feels good too. Thicker than I thought it would be but I get a great grip around it. The length of the handle is good aswell.

I like the chrome-plated finish. Has a nice shine to it.

I think me and this razor is gonna have some great shaves. I know there is a learning curve but it's gonna be fun!

I'm glad that I chose this as my first razor =). Plus I got 1 free DE blade =P

tuxxdk, Ryan B, maltedmilk and 5 others like this.
  2. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new Razor. I do not know the first think about the Mühle R89. But it looks like a Great Razor. Again congrats good luck at the university.

Omelmad likes this.
  3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

That was my first one too. It's a great razor. Enjoy! Oh, but that Derby blade that came with it didn't work for me at all.

Omelmad likes this.
  4. Omelmad

All I know it's the same head as the EJ 89 and it feels great in my hand.

Thank you and thank you =)

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Very nice razor! Muhle makes quality gear! Happy Shaving...

Omelmad likes this.
  6. Omelmad

I don't think the derby is for me either. I have tried it in a shavette, but I might try it in this DE razor just to cover all the bases =P if it doesn't shave well I won't be buying any derbys in the future.

7. Omelmad

Thank you! I'm really looking forward to trying it. I'm gonna be careful though =P

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  8. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Congratulations. It looks like a quality piece of equipment. Enjoy.

Omelmad likes this.
  9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The Muhle89 and Edwin Jagger89 are basically a collaboration between EJ and Muhle....From what I understand, except for price, they are pretty much the same razor head....While I've never used a Muhle, I do own and "LOVE" my EJ89..I used it daily for about 2 years until I was able to get a Weber DLC with a BullDog handle(thanks geraldgordon)..

The EJ head was quite smooth,efficient but forgiving...If hadn't gotten the Weber I'd still be using my EJ today...I'm hope you enjoy your Muhle as much as I did my EJ...:happy088:

Addendum:
    I use Vikings Sword,Astra SP's,Polsilver Super Iridiums,BlueBirds and any of the Gillette 7 O'clocks in my EJ with great success...:)

Omelmad likes this.
  10. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Hope you enjoy your new razor. Looking forward to hearing how your first shave goes.

Omelmad likes this.
  11. Omelmad

By the way u talk about your former favorite it looks like I'm gonna have mine for a long time =)

Makes me more glad about the purchase! =D

I have 10 super max stainless blades and one derby. And a couple of blades from jpb437 too. I'm planning to buy a blade sample from Connaught aswell, to start the search =P

12. Omelmad

Thank you, what are you using?

13. bzero007

bzero007 Active Member

Great pic I enjoy my de89 very much

Omelmad likes this.
  14. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Im not sure Ive ever cut myself with the EJ I used to own. I did however find it susceptible to leave razor burn- lay off the pressure.

15. Omelmad

Thank you for the advice.

BELIEVE me, om planning on being very careful in the beginning =)

16. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

Congrads I really like mine. I did but a weber classic stainless steel handle and replaced to chrome muhle handle and it shaves even better . Enjoy

Omelmad likes this.
  17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Very cool!! May it serve you well for many shaves to come.

Omelmad likes this.
  18. Omelmad

Hmm... Why does it shave better with a new handle? My knowledge about razors are very limited =P I thought it was all about the head (no pun intended)

Ceferguson likes this.
  19. Omelmad

Thank you thank you =) I hope so too =) excited about the first shave

20. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

The Muhle handle isn't bad by any means. A stainless one with deep knurling is heavier and has a little better grip though. The Muhle handle seems hollow and a little light but it gives the razor a nice slightly head-heavy feel. Nothing wrong with it.