Say hello to my first DE razor =P

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Omelmad, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I'm very happy with this purchase =) for now I only know the feeling of this DE razor =P I have not held another one

2. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

For me it adds weight and becomes heavy like my futur so I'm less likely to use pressure so I get a less irritating shave. Probably only because I'm new to wet shaving and I'm still developing my technique.

r

3. Omelmad

Sounds logical =P

Ceferguson likes this.
  4. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

I think you will enjoy your new razor the head is very nice I liked it better than my futur it was just the weight. I got the heavy stainless steel handle on eBay for 20 dollars and some shave shops sell scratched or dent ones chep also so if in the future you want to try one it is not too expensive. What kind of blades are you going to use?

5. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Congratulation on the new razor! Use it in good health.

Omelmad likes this.
  6. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

Congrats and welcome. It week give you a very good shave, but don't get too attached to it as the RAD week kick in and your connection will grow.

Omelmad likes this.
  7. gms541

gms541 Member

Enjoy. I started with an R89 also but was always afraid of it slipping from my wet hand, so I put a Weber Classic handle on it. It's a whole different animal. I can't drop it even when using a slick soap like Fraser's, and now there's no weight on the head so I feel as if I'm using a Mach3. I kept the original handle because it looks so good.

Ceferguson likes this.
  8. Boaz

Boaz Something different

Best of luck with the new razor,I hope you enjoy it.

9. Omelmad

I cant afford to get RAD =P i will have it for a while =)

10. rpaduano

rpaduano Active Member

Great choice. My go to razor all the time.

Omelmad likes this.
  11. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Nice! I'm sure you'll like it.

Omelmad likes this.
  12. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Sweeeeeet! Great razor, outstanding quality. It's also a good razor to start with.

Omelmad likes this.
  13. Omelmad

Thanks =) i didn't get to use it yesterday. But today I will =P

14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

A blade sampler or two is a very good idea...The more blades you can try out the better....
    Yes if your Muhle works as well for you as my EJ works for me,you'll be a happy shaver:shaver...The only major difference between the EJ and Weber is the materials the shave heads are made of(pot metal vs. SS), but the workmanship of both razors is excellent I.M.O....I got my Weber to give SS and the DLC coating a try, the Weber(best deal around for a SS razor) wound up shaving just that "tiny" bit smoother and closer, so I continue to use it, otherwise EJ or Gillette "Fat Handle Tech" all the way!!..:happy088:

15. Omelmad

SS? Stainless steel?
    DLC coating? =P

16. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

The Muhle is a fine quality razor and will likely give you very good shaves for decades! Congrats!
    It's been suggested already, but I'll say again that it would be wise to get a blade sampler and give
    each a go to see what blade best suits you and your new Muhle.

Best wishes and let us know how things are going!

Happy Shaving! :bounce017:

Omelmad likes this.
  17. Omelmad

I have another thread discussing a blade sample. I'm gonna order one today or some day this week =) I have a couple of blades to start off with. Super max stainless =P

18. Omelmad

So I just gave my DE a go.. I have to say I got disappointed =P

I know it's either poor technique (angle) or the blade was just not for me.

I had a couple of days worth of growth so I think that was a challenge itself. But already on the first stroke the blade sliced off some whiskers and left others =P hmm.. Sounds weird when explained like this.

The prep and lather was good because I finished off the shave with my fusion and it went well.

The gear for first try:
    Shower prep
    Badger brush
    Proraso red
    Super max stainless
    Mühle r89 =P
    -Bowl lathered

I'm gonna try again tomorrow and try different angles. Maybe I should start off with maximum 1-3 days growth

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Not weird at all. There is a reason folks will make two or three passes.
    It's all about beard reduction, not trying to take it all off on the first pass.
    Yes, there will be some whiskers sliced off and what will feel like others are left.
    Just continue with your first pass WTG, then rinse your face, leave it wet, then lather up again and make your second pass XTG.
    Do not try to get it all on the first pass or you will wind up with razor burn.
    And no need to start with several days growth. I shave every day, three passes every shave.

Hang in there. You'll get it! :happy088:

Slow Joe and Omelmad like this.
  20. Omelmad

Okey, I will do that =P it's just that in the videos I've seen they clean up the area then run the razor over =P I might have had to high expectations.

I'm gonna shave again tomorrow =P and use the same setup. I read somewhere that one should use the same setup so it's easier to change stuff and know the outcome of just that change.