Scorched

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Flarng, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Flarng

Flarng Member

So I got my '52 SS yesterday along with my blade sample pack and some Taylor coconut yesterday and was stoked. I decided to try an Astra blade since I've heard good things about them. However, I got literally the worst case of razor burn I've ever had. I don't know if it was the cream (review to follow) or the razor or the blade but I thought I was gonna bleed out. Any thoughts on what went wrong?

2. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

3. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

Yeah, I'm with them. YMMV of course, but I'm guessing it's the razor angle.

4. Flarng

Flarng Member

This was my first time with an SS. I've been using a ball end, and a micro touch before that.

5. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Pressure.
    Lot's of first time users think that the SS is a bit of a lightweight.
    Not so.
    Some think it requires a bit of push to be effective.
    Nope.
    It's commonly touted as being non-aggressive.
    Don't you believe it.

Mostly, it's just completely different from anything you've used before, and it will likely
    take 10-20 shaves before you begin to get it figured out. That's normal.
    Witch hazel will help soothe your pain. If you're really cut up, apply it 3-4 times a day.
    After you heal, you might try a few things.
    TTO razors are almost always at their best when they are closed tight.
    Always check the knob just before you begin your shave, and check it between passes.
    If it works loose, snug it back down and keep it snug.
    DON'T press the razor against your face. It's second nature to press on a razor that's
    lighter than what you're used to. Slow down and focus on your hold and how the razor feels against your face.
    If you're paying close attention, you'll probably catch yourself pressing on the razor too. Don't.
    Let the weight of the razor do the work.
    With the right blade and some experience, the SS will give you a BBS shave every time without nicks or weepers.
    I like the 7 OC green, and the Gillette Silver Blue in mine. Both are very smooth, but wicked sharp.
    You may find a different blade works better for you.
    Hang in there and let us know how it's going.

6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Prep is so important. Are you shaving after a shower? Are you using a PSO? Take your time when you shave. Do you have witch hazel? Alum block? That'll help with the healing.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  7. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 New Member

I would guess it is how much pressure. You can make many upon many light passes and get little to no irritation. On the other hand you can make ONE pressured pass and have burn flare up grande' style. If time is of concern I suggest don't shoot for that bbs finish if you are trying to get done under the gun of time. Either way you need to go as light as possible. Very very light touch. If it takes you more passes because you are using such little pressure, so be it. Practice practice practice. You will know how hard you can go

Good luck.

8. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

I'll 2nd, 3rd or whatever number it is, that!

I'll confess - I'm typically under the gun when I shave - however, what I have discovered is I can actually get 3 passes in with time to buff in ~20 mins (30 mins total with lather & post-shave) - only if I use a light to no pressure. Add another 10 mins when I find myself using pressure - and a irritated neckline to boot! I notice when I slow down, because I think I might nick - I realize... Too much pressure.

9. Flarng

Flarng Member

I'm using Trumper's skin food as a pre shave and if I don't shave after a shower I wrap my face in a hot towel. Thanks for the witch hazel idea. I going to use it.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  10. Flarng

Flarng Member

Update. I used some of my Trumper's shaving cream today, and really took my time and had a great shave. There was still a little lingering burn from the other day but not to bad.

11. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

I also find that a splash of very cold water really helps reduce irritation on my neck at the end of a shave.

12. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 New Member

Sure. Ice cold water during clean up closes up any small nick and does a great job keeping most irritation at bay.

13. 4waves

4waves New Member

Hey folks, what kind of witch hazel do you use?

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

"I don't often use Witch Hazel...but when I do, I use Thayer's—with aloe."
    [​IMG]

15. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

I DO always use witch hazel...but when I do, I use Thayer's as well. The lemon scented this time, though I don't care for the scent that much. I love the Thayer's after shave witch hazel, but then I like a little burn to let me know if I've gotten a little too high spirited during the shave.

16. 4waves

4waves New Member

Thanks!Ill have to get some for these next upcoming weeks while ill be trying out my new razor.