Scrubbing Bubbles & Adjustables

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BullGoose, Jan 24, 2009.

1. BullGoose

BullGoose Well-Known Member

Is it safe to soak an adjustable razor in scrubbing bubbles? I had heard the the SB can take the black off the numbers. If this is true, what is the best way to clean a slim adjustable or fatboy?

2. sandcounty

sandcounty New Member

I have never had any trouble with Scrubbing Bubbles taking the paint off the numbers. I usually spray 'em and let it sit for a few minutes then use a soft toothbrush. If they're dirty enough to need a soak, warm/hot water with a little dish soap works just fine to soften up any crud/soapscum.

3. BullGoose

Thank you. They are pretty clean so I guess I can just do the SB spray with a soft toothbrush followed by Maas.

4. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

The SB will not take the black off. Heck I have boiled adjustable razors with no harm to the numbers. I don't know what Gillette painted these with, but it sure stays on.

5. BullGoose

Thanks for the reassurance. I was hesitant to clean the razors until I was sure that I would not harm them in any way. A little warm soapy water, some scrubbing bubbles, a toothbrush and Maas should make my beauties shine again.:D

6. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

:happy088

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    The only way I can see this possibly happening is if the numbers had been re-painted by the previous owner.

8. Batmang

Batmang New Member

I've read on the forums about Maas polish. Is that the standard for keeping my superspeeds looking nice after a cleaning? Do I have to be concerned about loss of plating?

Nathan (newbie curiosity running rampant along side my RAD)

9. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Yup. That's about the best stuff to use to bring a dull finish back to a nice shine. While it does polish away a small bit of the plating, it doesn't remove enough to be a problem as long as you don't do it too often.

10. Austin

Austin Member

I would follow this sound advice.

11. Austin

Austin Member

I have used Maas for years. Last year I found a better polisher. If you can find Happich Simichrome Polish, buy a tube. I use it on my watches as well. Great stuff.

12. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

I would love to find a good polish for my gold plated razors. Is this Happich Simichrome Polish less abrasive than Maas? I have noticed in threads across the street that you have some exceptionally nice watches too. What other products would you feel safe using to clean them?

13. Austin

Austin Member

I use this cream on my gold plated as well as solid gold watches. It's safe enough for your gold plated razors. My watchmaker recommend this cream.

14. rollsshaver

I just did a search and see it is only around $8 most places. I will have to call around and see if I can get it local though. Otherwise, I will order some this weekend. Thank you for the info on this product. It is hard to find products that are actually safe to use on our precious glod razors.

15. Austin

Austin Member

Try your local hardware stores as well.

16. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Rolls, I have seen the simichrome at some antique stores you can look there too.

17. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Simichrome

Automotive stores.

18. rollsshaver

I just got off the phone with one of my lady friends, who happens to be an antique dealer. She is going to bring a tube over tonight.