SE ID needed...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Windwalker, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

I received this one today from a lot on the 'Bay, any ideas?? I have never heard of this one. The front has Use Only Hero Blades, and the back Hero Safety Razor and under that Made in USA Pat'd Apr. 14 1914. It has a lever like the Kampfe/Star wedge razors.

Attached Files:

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Neat find. I know nothing about it... but very nice looking razor.:signs107:happy096:signs154

Fuzzy

3. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

It makes sense that it has a Kampfe type lever since its design was patented by Richard Kampfe.

[​IMG]

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Will it use regular.. as in new.. SE blades??

Fuzzy

5. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

From what I understand it will use regular SE blades. I think you may have to remove the spine or shim the spin to achieve the proper height to lock it in.

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

cool thanks.. Dave has a video on how to remove the spine I think.

7. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Fuzzy, I tried a Gem SE in the razor last night, although the tabs on the head do not set down on the blade, the lever seems to hold the blade firmly against the hooks. At least as firmly as the Ever Ready lather catcher that I have and use. So it doesn't look like I will have to remove the spine, I do not see how the removal would improve things any. I think that I will look at it again tonight and may take it for a spin. Stay tuned, same SE channel, same SE time for further updates! ;)

8. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Thanks for the ID AG, cool that you have one with a box. According to TM over at B&B:

"According to the information I have, the Hero was sold by the Clark Blade and Razor Co. of Newark, NJ. It was designed to use a single edge rib backed blade similar to today's SE blades. As you noted, the patent date marked on the razor is Apr. 14, 1914.

There is evidence that this may be the same as the Kamfe Star Cru-Steel razor that was made by Richard Kampfe of New York, NY. The two razors have the exact same patent date and appear to be identical except for the markings. It would seem likely that the Hero was made for Clark by Kampfe."
    So there you go, maybe we should start our own database? ;)

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Updates man updates.. you can not grow a beard that needs shaved any faster then this??:happy102

Fuzzy

10. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Hey SE guys. I have a new one here. It's a 1912 gold GEM Junior, but with a twist ... a black metal handle. I have never seen this handle before and have spent the past two weeks trying to identify it. My best guess is that it was a military issue. Anyway, have at it. Any info?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Unfortunately the pictured one isn't mine.

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

ohhhhh I likie the black handle.. yell when you want to sell it. I do not know whee it came from though. But I would bet that it is a military... great find Guido.

Fuzzy

13. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Found the answer:

In the Waits Compendium on page 12 of the Gem section.

It would appear to be a Gem Jr. Service issue razor. It is described as having a "Dull finish metal alloy handle". It looks dark gray or black in the picture. It was packaged in one of those sliding black plastic cases similar to other Gem and Star service razors of that era. The blades that came with it were marked "For U.S. Armed Forces." There is a cardboard outer sleeve that shows how to open the plastic case. The set is identified as being c.1943.

Thanks to Tom Meyers for the above info.

Fuzzy - This one will be for sale soon. I am still trying to find a little more info on it. No one has yet to chime in on ever seeing one before. I have searched everywhere and have not seen mention of another like it. I have a feeling they must be fairly rare. They may have just made a few of these before moving to the much more common, but still not easy to find, plastic handled versions.

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am almost certain that I saw on on the bay a few weeks back maybe more in the plastic case..

I like it though

Fuzzy

15. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

You probably saw this one. It had the plastic handle.

[​IMG]

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

May have been... but the metal is sooo much better looking huh?

Fuzzy

:signs108 sorry windwalker

Fuzzy

17. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Yup. It looks pretty cool. And the handle is just as hefty as the ornate versions. Great balance. The plastic handled versions were much lighter.

18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Very cool.. I just bought a Aristocrat from The Zook and a Cased Gem featherweight from the bay.. will be next check before I have free cash hehe.. Give you time to decide on value lol :happy102

Fuzzy

19. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Apologies to the Bunny, for taking soooo loooong to post an update. Hey, it was the holidays and I was being lazy! :happy102 I cleaned up the Hero and took it for a spin this evening. I used the usual prep, Ogallala soap, added glycerin to the lather. All is well and good, neck did not come out as good as I hoped. But I did reuse the blade that I was using for its fourth and final shave, in hindsight; I probably should have put a new blade in the razor. But no cuts, weepers, or irritation. So to be brief, I like it! :D It is very much like a lather catcher, but that is no surprise. Damn, another SE to look for! :(

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Thanks for the report... but as you said now I will be looking for one.:D

Fuzzy