SE or DE razor!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ztirf1953, Jun 13, 2010.

1. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

You'll have to click expand. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

2. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

i also dont like user grade razors...i like them looking like new...that makes the selection a bit tougher....my gem ocmm i had refinished and gun coated so it looks nice and new.j

i'm thinking of getting a 1912 razor and having it gold plated since i dont own a gold colored razor yet

3. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

My favorite SE razors are the 1912 and the MMOC. Stay shallow, almost ride the cap, and use GEM stainless blades in that Micromatic, great shaver!

Zykris and rabidus like this.
  4. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

The comb, or bar, on a razor, will have little noticeable effect on how it performs, they're just different styles of safety guard. Gillette started with machine cut teeth for the guard, but then switched to thin stampings with easier to form solid bars, different look, same fuction.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Amen.

Zykris and TobyC like this.
  6. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I hope you don't buy the Mona Lisa, you'd have her sripped and repainted!!! :p

I prefer razors that look like they have earned their keep, and painted razors will never be welcome in my house!!! :rolleyes005:

But that's just my opinion. :D

Zykris likes this.
  7. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

how many grams does the 1912 and 1924 razor weigh??

i know my gem open comb micromatic is 63 grams...i was wondering if the 1912 1924 are more or less in weight.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  8. rabidus

rabidus Member

I have a number of GEMs with the 1912 date. I weighed 3 of them. 55 grams, 58 grams, and 67 grams for the one with the handle with the chain link design on it.

The 55 gram 1912 is more efficient than the MMOC and the other 1912's I have. Not all 1912's are equal and all of them should not be classified as mild.