Semogue or Omega (boar) brush?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by mezzano, May 26, 2016.

1. mezzano

mezzano Member

For now I have only one (synthetic) brush, Omega 10018, and plan to buy one boar brush. Budget 15-16€.
    I'm close to buy some of Semogue boar brush, 6xx, 8xx or 1xxx.
    As I saw, I think that Omega brushes are little cheaper, but handles of Semogue is little more quality, than Omegas. Other thing I've noticed, is that Semogue brushes are more spread loft when they been used, than Omegas.
    Is there differences in quality of bristle and handles, or that's only visual?
    Which brush did you recommend to me?

poslato sa LG L65

2. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I bought this boar brush and couldn't be happier. I've been using it about a month did some accelerated break-in and it works fantastically. It has a great bloom now and it nice and soft with just a little scritch. Can't say enough good about the Omega 10066.
    http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Omega-10066-Boar-Shaving-Brush_p_470.html
    But, I haven't tried a Semogue. But, I'll bet they are pretty good, too.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have 3 Omegas and one Semogue.
    I prefer any of my Omegas over the Semogue. I feel the Omega knots are a bit fuller, a bit tighter.
    Semogue certainly has its fans.

Marc Bagwell and Carbide Mike like this.
  4. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

In my humble opinion...omega boars have a better knot, while the advantage goes to semouge for handles.

Of course, you don't shave with the handle...lol.

Marc Bagwell and Carbide Mike like this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I have two Semogues, 1305 and 1800. Both are excellent performing brushes, and bloom out a lot.
    It looks like the Omega brushes don't bloom as much. My next brush will be an Omega.
    I've been pondering buying an Omega for a long while.

6. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I prefer my $9 Omega 10049 to my $45 Semogue Owner's Club, but that's just my opinion.

7. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Me too.

Carbide Mike and Erik Redd like this.
  8. mezzano

mezzano Member

I've looked Omega 10049, it's too big for me. I want brush with smaller loft. 50mm, 55mm max.

poslato sa LG L65

Carbide Mike likes this.
  9. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

10. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

I find the Omega is taller doesn't Bloom as much has more backbone..... the semogue is more like a badger it splays more less backbone tends to be softer both are great brushes depends upon the mood your in. I tend to use the Omega with hard soaps and the semogues with softer soaps or creams

11. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I have two Omegas and 3 Semogues. The way I see it is Omega has the performance whereas Semogue has the looks, quality feel AND the performance.

IMHO Semogue is a few classes above Omega. But if one only looks at performance then it's a tie down to personal preference because they are alike like a badger and a boar, which means zero resemblance :)

Bussemand and MarshalArtist like this.
  12. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Just saw this on Ebay. It's up for bidding but I'm out of funds at the moment. Gold in color, looks real nice............... s-l1600 (1).jpg

RyX likes this.
  13. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

I only have a badger Omega, so I can't compare, but I am certainly happy with my Semogues.
    My favourites are the boars they produced for Antiga Barbearia de Bairro, They're excellent face latherers with good backbone.
    I plan on at least getting the Omega Proraso brush and a Zenith boar in the future, but I would be content with what I have so far...

[​IMG]

Number 1 and 2 from the left are the ones made for the Antiga Barbearia de Bairro brand. They feel a little bit denser than the 620 on the far right, but also cost twice as much.
    The two dirty looking ones were 6 and 8 euro on eBay. They are Semogues, but I don't know what the story is with them - maybe they make them from leftover/second grade materials

tuxxdk likes this.
  14. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Generally, I prefer Semogue. I find them a little softer, nicer resin handles without paying a premium, and just (to me) a nicer brush. My favorite is the 830.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GatorJoe and Robyflexx like this.
  15. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:thanks: 620 here

GatorJoe likes this.
  16. MetalHead88

MetalHead88 Well-Known Member

I have the Omega 10066 and it's a great brush. I can't say anything about semogue, but for $10 I can't imagine there's a better brush out there.

17. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I have tried a few examples of both brands, and my vote goes to Omega boar brushes.

Semogues may have prettier handles, but I think that Omegas have better knots. YMMV and such.

PickledNorthern and Erik Redd like this.
  18. DaveL

DaveL Active Member

My preference is Semogue. Nicer handles and a little softer once broken in.

tuxxdk and Robyflexx like this.
  19. briantb21

briantb21 Member

I can't speak for the Omega brushes but I have a Semogue Owners Club and have to say it's not what I expected. Don't get me wrong, I really like it and love the size of the handle, but it is a lot softer than I expected from the descriptions of a boar brush. This is my first boar brush and I was under the impression that boar brushes were a bit stiffer than badger. My first brush was a synthetic and I think it has more backbone than my Semogue. My Semogue also has a lot more bloom too. With that said, I really like my Semogue and it is my every day brush.

My interest is peaked though and curious which way you decide to go. Please keep us informed.

20. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

I have several Omega and Semogue brushes. I like big brushes and Omega has several that I use regularly(I find a 24 knot small). The Semogues are a very well made brush and I am partial to wooden handles, nothing more beautiful to me as the Semogue bloom! Soooo, as you can see, I'm on the fence and use them all!! I can't say enough good things about these two brands. I believe Omega is the best brush value available and Semogue is one of the highest quality boars available. You could not go wrong with either. YMMV. Both brands have badgers as well and syns, but they are not for this thread.

s