Semogue or Omega (boar) brush?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by mezzano, May 26, 2016.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Call me Steve.

Give the Semogue a fair shake. Like I said, it has its fans. You may become one. I don't dislike mine, just like the Omegas more.

As to what Omega to get, get the one you like the looks of. You'll come to seldom grab a brush you think is ugly.

Marc Bagwell and BigMark83 like this.
  2. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I wonder if one can get the loft set deeper on a Semogue.

3. swarden43

Being a manufacturer, I doubt they do custom work. But I've been wrong before.

Marc Bagwell likes this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I have a few Semogue Boars, and Omega Boars. The Omega has more backbone, and less scritch. I just Bought a Stirling, and it beats both, hands down, and for $10.
    The Stirling also has the nicest made handle I've seen, so far.
    https://www.stirlingsoap.com/boar-brush-24mm-x-57mm/

5. BradleyD

BradleyD Active Member

I have both Omega and Semogue and use both equally. My Omega seems to pick up soap far into the bristles better than semogue. Either one is a good choice and I’m sure you’ll have both eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc Bagwell likes this.
  6. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Pity that shipping is $22 :(

Marc Bagwell likes this.
  7. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I have an omega pro49 and it is amazing. Actually quite soft, while retaining backbone

Marc Bagwell likes this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I dont think it cost me but a couple of dollars. Well, if it makes you feel better, it is worth the extra shipping, in my opinion.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  9. Marc Bagwell

Marc Bagwell Well-Known Member

Right, but the question still remains which omega do you recommend? They make several with similar handles and sizes so trying to choose is a bit overwhelming to a novice boar brush user like myself. My question was open to everyone but I singled Swarden out because his advice has always proved to be valuable in the past. He also got me hooked on roasting my own coffee. So yeah, I value his advice. I can't find anything in google that explains the difference in the brushes or which is rated higher than the other - or why. To a novice like myself this is very confusing. I'm one of those guys that likes to accumulate all the data before he flops cash down on the counter. I've always been that way. My wife laughs at me because of it. She says I have OCD. I remind her that being like this is how I built a successful company and operated it for over a quarter of a century before retiring. So which omega brush do you prefer? All advice appreciated.

10. Marc Bagwell

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. The pro49.

Dansco likes this.
  11. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

The plain (non painted) boar knots are very much comparable, as long as you get brushes with the same loft size. So choose a handle you like. I love the 20102 brush personally.

Marc Bagwell likes this.
  12. Marc Bagwell

Very nice reference. This is the first time I've seen a chart like this. This helps

Zykris likes this.
  13. Marc Bagwell

The 2012. Okay, I'll take a look. Thanks

Zykris likes this.
  14. BigMark83

I have a 11126 but it isn't banded. I can't complain. It's breaking in nicely, and I've only used it a handful of times.

Edit - It is banded :ashamed001:.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Marc Bagwell likes this.
  15. BigMark83

@Marc Bagwell , it's all down to knot preference. I can't imagine a bad omega.

Zykris, Marc Bagwell and Dansco like this.
  16. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

It's like £10 here from Amazon. Worth buying one as well as another brush haha

I have very little experience but I know I love my pro49. It is huge but gorgeous to lather with. Makes tonnes

Marc Bagwell likes this.
  17. Marc Bagwell

Just for your info, my wife gets very angry with me for getting in the way in the kitchen when I'm roasting coffee beans. I try to explain the attraction of roasting your own coffee beans but she doesn't get it. She's not a coffee drinker. She likes tea... green tea.

Latherin’ Luddite and Zykris like this.
  18. Marc Bagwell

Thank you, Steve.
    That's good advice. I'm sure that both would do very well but I'm looking for another play toy. :)

Zykris likes this.
  19. Marc Bagwell

Hello,
    I never thought about a Stirling, but for $10.00 it's hard to go wrong.

Latherin’ Luddite and Zykris like this.
  20. swarden43

My question was directed to...
    He answered my question.