Semogue or Omega (boar) brush?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by mezzano, May 26, 2016.

1. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Omega 10098
    That is all
    Carry On

Eeyore likes this.
  2. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Need some advice on big handle small loft semogue boar hair brush.... Big heavy handle... Any suggestions?

3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

ShavingTime has them in the UK, if that helps:

https://shavingtime.co.uk/products/stirling-soap-co-boar-shaving-brush

Mine is becoming one of my favorite boars. I had to use it a bit (6-8 times) and a few combings to get it to quit shedding, but after that it has been fantastic. The handle is cool enough I have been considering buying another to put a badger into, and have a set.

Eeyore likes this.
  4. PickledNorthern

Sounds like a custom handle and a transplant are in your future.

5. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

@PickledNorthern Brilliant, thanks!

Took the opportunity to order some OSP Neroli together with it.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  6. PickledNorthern

7. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Purchased the Stirling Boar brush.. Seems to be a bit of a lather hog but im still breaking it in.... Kool brush so far... Nice handle.... Thanks for the advice guys :happy093:

Eeyore likes this.
  8. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I say flip a coin and decide that way. I have both Omega and Semogue ...two of each and they are all excellent brushes at great prices. No matter what you decide I am sure you will be pleased. In fact buy one of each!

Zykris likes this.
  9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Mine easily releases enough lather for three passes. Just be patient :)

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

10. Jacobite

Jacobite Member

I have used boars for nearly 40 years, only discovering the diversity of boars available internationally since the dawn of internet shopping 15-20 years ago. I also like them big. I've never warmed to Semogues. I don't enjoy the dyed fake badger look, and the ash handled SOC that I own splays like an old soggy mop. I like Omegas much better. I have the limited edition Italian flag, a 48, a 49, and an 83 which is a 49 with a fake chrome handle. I also have an Omega Proraso. Of them all, the Italian flag with its thin white bristle is the finest. Reminds me of a Zenith or a Mondial in that respect (both of which I find to be the very best Italian boars, by the way).

DaltonGang likes this.
  11. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

I’m a Semogue fan, but the Omega 10005 is a great boar brush.

DaltonGang and PanChango like this.
  12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Very interesting. I don't have the Omega Italian Flag one. But, I do have a Zenith Boar. I really liked the feel of the Zenith, but it turned into a shedder. My Stirling Boar brush feels like the Zenith, but the Stirling isn't a shedder. I hate shedding brushes.
    I will add that I have a Whipped Dog 24mm knot, in a custom handle( by @twhite ), it feels similar to the Zenith and Stirling. I will also add, that the Whipped Dog I originally had was a shedder, but was sent back, and quickly replaced by Larry, the owner. The new knot performs and feels great.

Jacobite likes this.