Sensitive skin

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by gabrzm, Jan 6, 2017.

1. gabrzm

gabrzm New Member

Hey all!

So I currently use a 5 blade razor with proraso shave soap but my skin is always really irritated afterwards (especially the neck region).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the type of soap and/or razor I should try to use?

Thanks! :)

Norcalnewb and americanshamrock like this.
  2. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Two thoughts
    My first thought would be to switch to a razor with fewer blades (be it cart, DE, or SE)
    Second if you place a little lather on the inside of your wrist does it cause irritation? If not it is probably the razor and not the soap. If it does try another soap (I'm guessing your using Proraso green in which case maybe try something without menthol)
    Good Luck!

3. gabrzm

gabrzm New Member

Thanks! ill give it a shot!

Demidog and americanshamrock like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup, I'd say try a DE (double edge) razor like the Van der Hagen (VDH) sold in drug stores and WalMarts.
    Cartridge razors always tore up my neck. Many folks claim to have sensitive skin (not saying you don't) but come to realize it was horrible shaves from too many blades, not sensitive skin.

5. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I agree with the opinion above about reducing number of blades. How much soap is left for the 5:th blade after all blades before have removed their share? Without protecting lather, irritation will more easily follow.

When going down in number of blades, remember to also ease on the pressure. The pressure in a multi-blade cartridge is shared upon many blades. So for going down to one blade from five blades, use 1/5 pressure. Think about laying a nail bed and how the pressure is distributed vs laying on only one nail and you will understand what I mean. Just imagine tickling yourself with a feather, when using a one blade razor and you will have the right pressure.

Demidog likes this.
  6. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, why do you think you have sensitive skin? I only ask because I used to think I had sensitive skin also because I always got irritation on my neck no matter what. Then I found out that instead of looking up toward the ceiling when I shave my neck I was looking straight on and the skin on my neck wasn't stretched and flat resulting in a lot of razor burn. You may very well have it. A lot of good advice in the above posts.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Demidog likes this.
  7. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I have found over the years that what I thought was "being tore up by a razor"? It was actually a not so close shave at the neck region. I never (ever) shaved either against nor across the grain with a multi-blade cartridge. Stubble would abrade under the chin and I perceived an irritating shave.
    My switch to a single blade and the closeness it provides with mutiple passes changed my perception.

Demidog, Bama Samurai and Robyflexx like this.