SEptember 2015 - Discuss SE Safety razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GDCarrington, Aug 30, 2015.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

It will soon be September for 2015 and that means using SE safety razors. Schick Injector, GEM, EverReady, Mongoose, and even shavettes qualify. So if you are planning on focusing on using an SE all month or a part of the month, lets read about those shaves.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Here is my posting for September! I will be focusing on Schick Injectors during the month. Here is the hardware list.

[​IMG]
    Now the list of hardware used will be supplied for each day. The soap will be selected and will made in the daily list.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Here are my three razors for the month. I have not spent anytime with SE razors, so I am looking forward to SEptember.

image.jpg

vwp528, Douglas Carey, Hodge and 6 others like this.
  4. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG] I shaved today using an unnamed chinese shavette from the bay today with a snapped in half wilkinson blade, proraso green in a tub and a semogue boar brush face lathered. I had a CCS in one pass with zero feedback from the alum. I missed straight razor shaped objects.

[​IMG]

I posted my intentions for this coming months focus and then started thinking. . . what if my injector is damaged beyond repair in some subtle way.

5. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Love the tennis racket handle!

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I just finished a month of GEM shaves and I am moving on to one of my favorite SE razors, the Schicks.
    Today, I started early with my Schick Hydro-Magic I-2.
    sod150831.JPG
    I will be using five of my Schicks throughout the month of SEptember.
    SEptember03.jpg

7. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I shall break out a Schick Twin or a Pal or both...

8. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

I will be using my B-3 Mongoose during September.

IMG_2388.jpg

9. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I might break out my Shovel Head with MR3 handle at some point this month. So far I haven't found it nearly as comfortable as my aggressive DEs. I may also try to pick up an MMOC from the bay.

vwp528, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  10. Boojum1

NOS Schick I-1

IMG_0716.jpg

11. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Excellent, timely thread @GDCarrington !

I just happened to have a bit of the RAD bite me of late and I could do either injectors or GEM-type. I’d like to do both, but at least as the month begins, my intent is to do injectors.

My Injector Inventory
    5 September.JPG
    from left to right:
    1950s Era Pal Adjustable Injector
    1937 Schick Made in Canada Type E2 (Butterscotch handle)
    1946-53 Schick Eversharp Type G1(White handle)
    1955-58 Schick Eversharp Type I2 (Black handle)
    1958-64 Schick Eversharp Type J3 (Golden 500)

I will start with a Schick Type J3 (aka, the Golden 500) followed closely behind by a Schick Type I2. I have been told by some of our TSD brothers on the Injector/SE Party thread that these are very similar razors, with their ‘hydro-magic’ cleaning handle in the head making their shave angle very similar and termed as mild, smooth razors. I figure they are good razors to learn how to use an injector - which I’ve never done.

Next up would be a Schick Type G1, a version that they say is a step up on the aggressiveness scale.

If I make it past those three, I begin to wonder what comes next…as I have a Schick E2 and a PAL adjustable that I could try, though I’m told they are more on the aggressive side. I may want to make sure my injector skills are sound first.

I also have a few GEMS that I’m itching to try as a further introduction to SEs.

No doubt I will need at least two months or more to get to them all. But I’m never going back to carts, so I’ll just get to all of these in good time.

Cheers!
    RT

12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I will be using Schick injectors all month! :happy088:

13. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Nice Pal. On my list of must-haves.

14. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

August 31, 2015

Single-Edge SEptember Discussion Thread
    Injectors and perhaps a GEM

I'm in! In fact, I'm jumping ahead by a day and starting today. (I'm a Monday thru Friday kind of guy because I'm prone to skipping a shave or two on the weekend.)

During this first week, my first with injectors, I’ll look to familiarize myself with them by starting with one that has been described as mild and perhaps move to experiment with others along the aggressiveness spectrum. I’ll be doing SEs all month and have posted the five that I hope to get to.

Today's Shave:

Hot Shower, Morning Shave
    Soap: Proraso Green
    Brush: Omega Pro 48
    Razor: Schick Eversharp Type J3 Golden 500
    Blade: Schick Injector (China) (1)
    TSD Witch Hazel
    Aftershave Cream: Proraso Green
    After Shave: Proraso White

08-31-15.JPG

Two-pass shave (WTG / ATG). (Again, this was my first shave with an injector. Please don't hold back the advice!) :eatdrink013:

The grip - obviously lighter than DEs. I chose to start with my longest handled (and mild) injector razor - providing me the ability to adjust my leverage.

Blade angle / pressure - I started with the flat part of the razor (with the blade) positioned flat against my face. It moved smoothly with hardly any sound. Tilted the handle down slightly and received positive feedback with sound and feel as though I had found a good cutting angle. The razor lightness creates a reaction to add pressure. I fought that urge for the most part.

Maneuverability - definitely much easier to approach my trouble spots - jawline areas, neck, that trouble spot just behind the jaw joint under the ear, and trimming around my shaped mustache and goatee. As with pressure, the lightness of the razor can get me in trouble. I could sense a tendency to zip around the face more quickly. In fact I did once and payed the minor price with a weeper / nick. I corrected that by focusing on the length and duration of the stroke - a little longer length and more deliberateness in the stroke. Once I slowed down, I was not aware of any intentional, added pressure to the stroke.

Overall - the shave was outstanding in all aspects - easy to find blade angle, maneuverability, little feeling of irritation (though the aftershave lit me up a bit more than most days. I'll have to be even more aware of blade angle and repeat strokes.

I'd like to avoid jinxing the rest month, but this was as good a shave as I can recall, and I just had one of my best shaves yesterday with an OC. I'm looking forward to the rest of the week with this one.

Cheers!
    RT

15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Thanks! "The Grip" does just that. It is not a gimmick!

16. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I got my schick G1 cleaned up and it sparkles. I can hardly wait till tomorrow to shave with it. This evening I will shave with my shavette to give myself a good base to start SEptember.

17. Boojum1

Subs for SEptember.

I-1 and I-2 Hydro Magic

I1&2.jpg

I1&2B.jpg

18. Boojum1

Schick J-2. Another sub on the sideline for SEptember.

J2A.jpg

J2B.jpg

19. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor