SEptember 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Aug 31, 2016.

?

What will you be using as part of SEptember?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2016.
  1. Injectors

15 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. Gems

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. DE but with an old and cheap A/S

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  4. Straights with or without the cheapo A/S

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  5. A glass of milk for the Snickerdoodles

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. A glass of an el cheapo A/S for dipping Snickerdoodles

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  7. Just the Snickerdoodles please, and keep 'em coming

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  8. Various Modern SE and Injector razors

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Smells like a Drug Store SEptember!

September 28

Grand Blade Trials

Razor - 1962 (H1) Gillette Slim (6)
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Brush - Omega 10066 BoS
    Soap - Arko
    Post - Alum, Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Well day one after vacation is in the books at work and I think I'm working at full capacity again. Feel like I never left actually, which is typical for me. The workaholic never truly leaves even when I'm away so catching up is pretty easy.

Started the day with the second shave on the Eddison after a great first shave on the Slim 2. On the Slim 6? Smooth, effective, near-BBS, what more can you say? Like every Israeli blade so far it has performed pretty much flawlessly on the middle setting. It's acting much like the Crystal/Qball in giving the first two shaves the way it did. The wide open 9 tomorrow will be its final test to see if it keeps up.

Interesting that the Crystal and Qball are Platinum blades while the Eddison is only listed as Stainless. Yet, so close to each other so far you can't tell them apart. I'd really like to know what, if any, differences there are in these blades. Yes, I've tried emailing. Yes, I'm still waiting. The story of my life with these blade companies it seems.

For the record I'll be doing the final Trial on the Eddison tomorrow and will then use Friday, the last day of the month, to use my Gem 1912. Not sure what blade as I haven't looked to see what I have available, but I figured I'd finish the month of SEptember on an SE shave! Saturday is OCtober!! For those who want, get those open combs ready to go and I look forward to seeing some incredible razors again next month. If you have a different focus or rule let us know what's coming!

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

September 29, 2016
    Mongoose B2 with Triad Ti
    Feather Super Pro (9)
    Romera Oliverwood Synthetic
    Fine L’Orange Noir in Shave Stick
    Witch Hazel
    Fine L’Orange Noir

[​IMG]

A wonderful shave this morning. I enjoy the Fine soaps in shave stick form since they are very easy to lather and perform very well. Three passes and minimal touch ups ending in a near BBS which is more than good enough on a work morning. Finished off with a splash of the matching Fine L'Orange Noir and I am ready for the day. I hope everyone has a great Thursday.

3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

IMG_4139.JPG

SEptember 29 SOTD:

Stirling Synthetic Brush
    Stirling Electric Sheep
    ER 1924
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Canoe AS

This the last shave of the month for this razor, as I will finish SEtember tomorrow with my Type J. This razor performed very well again today, which also happened to be shave 27 on the blade. I got an easy DFS, and probably could have caught the baby with just a little bit of chasing. But, I was up late last night chasing my 7 month old baby, so I let this one go this morning. I used a little Canoe to wrap up this great shave. I hope everyone has a great day!

4. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Cold water 3.gif
    SOTD September 29, 2016

Blade
    : Chinese Schick
    Razor: Schick L1 injector
    Brush: Satin Tip 'The Purest' synthetic
    Lather: Country Club for Men Cahaba Blues
    Post: Witch hazel splash enhanced with Country Club Sweet Water, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG, touch-up

Nice shave again with the Schick L1 injector (new to me). I really like it and find it easy to use, mild but quite efficient. I'm happy to add it to my SE arsenal.

Have a great day!

SOTD 9-29-16.JPG

5. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thursday, SEptember 29, 2016

Rubberset 400 #3 Omega 1066
    I Coloniali Mango
    King Cobra with UFO TiTan Fine L
    Feather Pro #4
    Barrister and Mann Reserve Cool

[​IMG]

6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Still loving my new travel razor. This thing is smooth
    Travel SOTD
    Ogallala Bay Rum Shave Stick
    Mystery Brush
    Barbasol Floating Head Razor
    Gillette Silver Blue Blade (3)
    Proraso After Shave Cream
    Fine American Blend After Shave
    Have Fun![​IMG]

7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Smells like a Drug Store SEptember!

September 29

Grand Blade Trials

Razor - 1962 (H1) Gillette Slim (9)
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Brush - Wolf Whiskers Custom Silvertip
    Soap - Arko
    Post - Alum, Aqua Velva Musk

Final day on the Eddison and the Slim is wide open and ready to go. So far all of the Israelis have given great shaves at this point so I'm expecting the same. And, with the first pass I can tell it's going to be great. Still smooth, great reduction and no problems. Second XTG pass and I'm picking up just the faintest hint of the blade. Perhaps not quite the perfectly smooth feeling I'm used to from the others but still much better than many. At the end of the second pass I did notice a nick on my lower left neck. Didn't feel it but the blood showed up. Went ahead with the ATG and Slide pass and didn't make it any worse. I don't believe I made any technique errors on any of the passes so that nick is going to be charged to the blade.....provisionally. Not a full indictment but I can't let it off the hook either. Alum stopped the bleeding so it wasn't bad.

Overall impression of this blade is pretty much like the rest of the Israeli bunch. Did great on all three settings (only the Reds failed at mild but taking them to 3 solved that) and the blood was the only real problem. Just based on the feel of the second and third passes (which was a minor difference) I'm giving a slight edge to Crystal/Qball but the Eddison is certainly a usable and fine blade.

Tomorrow is the final day of SEptember!! So, I'll be grabbing my Gem 1912 and firing off a shave with it to finish the month. The link for OCtober should be live late tonight for those wanting a bit of a head start. Have a great day!

8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SEptember recap

I really enjoyed my shaves this month. I focused on using all of my injectors and SE razors. In doing so I discovered the GEM MMOC wasn't for me and sold it. I acquired an L1 injector in its place and have really enjoyed using it so far. I am an injector and SE convert. My last DE shave was in April. I'm not looking back. I get great shaves with those razors and will stick with them.

It's been enjoyable to see everyone's razors this month. Next month I am planning a rule/focus hybrid. I'll chime in on that when the OCtober thread appears.

Drygulch, ob1page, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Thirty Days Hath September!
    28-29 September 2016​

image.jpeg

Wow, another month has flown by! Back later to recap. Also be on the lookout for @NCoxSTL and the new monthly thread later tonight. This month helped cement the fact that I like razors that feature lots of aggressiveness. Shavette is my future. I am getting near BBS automatically with these tools. Apologies again for my absence lately, life has been super busy! Other than that...all is quiet in Colorado.

Have a terrific Thursday!
    :)

10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Well, I received my new Schick adjustable yesterday. I cleaned it up and came to the realization that it really is unused!

There is a cardboard insert showing how to inject the blade and the blank blade is still in the head! The razor is pristine!

I'm planning on using it to close out SEptember and find it the appropriate choice for September 30th.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

September 29, 2106

Razor: M3 Schick Adjustable (5)
    Blade: Chick
    Brush: Floppy Chinese Pure Badger
    Soap: Arko

The Shave Gods are fickle beasts. Just as I'm ready to put the Schick Adjustable away for a bit, it delivers probably the best shave I've gotten from it. I suspect that part of it was from a determination to be careful since I seem to make too many newbie mistakes with this razor and that part of it came from the Arko. Either way, a nice sign that maybe I'm making some progress.

I think the question will be whether I need a shave tomorrow to finish up the month and, if so, what razor I'll use.

Drygulch, ob1page, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  12. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Well-Known Member

That mystery brush is a Col Conk badger. I have the same one, it was my very first brush. I would rate it 2/10 as it is very floppy with no backbone and sheds hair like crazy on harder pucks. Hopefully yours has a better knot than mine did. The handle is nice and heavy, it would be a great candidate for a new synthetic knot.

Drygulch, clint64, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: AlumiGoose (Silver) w/Timeless TRH4: 14mm x 100mm Razor Handle With Barber Pole Design
    Blade: Feather Professional (9)
    Brush: Oscar 11, w/Omega 10049 Boar
    Soap: Jeeves Soaps Private Study
    Aftershave: Floid Vigoroso
    Very close comfortable 3 pass shave tonight. The AlumiGoose with the Feather Profession and Timeless handle is a winning combination. Jeeves Soap Private Study Tallow Soap is a classic bay rum scent made with West Indie bay, sweet orange, rum, spices and just a touch of patchouli and vanilla. Great Stuff!!! http://www.jeevessoaps.com
    29 09 16.jpg

Drygulch, ob1page, clint64 and 6 others like this.
  14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I like the handle and will save it for a new knot. Thanks!

15. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great picture, Doug. That almost looks like snow.

Drygulch, clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

When you said new you were not kidding. Wow, :signs021:

17. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Incredible find - congratulations :happy088:

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  18. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks very much. No snow yet. :)

Drygulch, Norcalnewb and clint64 like this.
  19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Another great photo Doug. I must say the Oscar 11 brush really looks stunning.

20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

September 30, 2016
    Mongoose B2 with Triad Ti
    Feather Super Pro (10)
    Romera Oliverwood Synthetic
    Reef Point Dragon’s Blood
    Witch Hazel
    Fine Platinum

[​IMG]

A great shave to end the month enjoying SE razors. The Reef Point Dragon's Blood soap is very easy to lather and one of the slickest soaps I have. So slick that touch ups are possible with just the residual slickness. I finished off the shave with a splash of Fine Platinum. I hope everyone has a great Friday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.