September 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Aug 31, 2017.

?

Which SE will you be using this month?

1. Schick Injector

19 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. Pal Injector

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. A vintage Gem of some sort

17 vote(s)
    45.9%
  4. Mongoose

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. Shavette

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  6. Artist Club

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  7. Traditional Straight

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  8. Fooled you - no SE here!

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  9. Cookies. Either let me have some or let me out.

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Gillette Red Tip
    Perma-Sharp Super (8)
    Semogue 2000
    Arko Shave Stick

I haven't been posting much as life has gotten hectic in the last few days. I have been doing a single pass all week and don't seem any worse for it.

2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great picture, Perry!

3. Norcalnewb

Another excellent picture, Clint!

4. Norcalnewb

The red tip is one of best razors I have found for a short on time shave. Sounds like it is doing well for you as well

5. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Thanks, Jim!

6. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_1233.JPG
    14 SEptember 2017 Sure Happy It's Thursday Blade Focus Shave

Pre: A lot of hot water, soap from the container and a hot towel
    Razor: GEM MicroMatic Open Comb
    Blade: GEM Blue Star
    Brush: JJ#1, USS Belleau Wood CVL-24 tribute brush by @jimjo1031
    Soap: Cella Crema Da Barba
    After Shave: Cella Lozione Dopobarba

For today's shave I brought forth my Cella. Sixty seconds on the puck and another ninety in my Old Spice mug and JJ#1 produced a great lather. Coaxed a very nice DFS out of the MMOC/Blue Star combo. The dropoff with this blade is much more pronounced than with the PAL. Treet's are up next week, but the PAL's are looking like the front runner. Some Cella A/S and Thursday was on.
    Have a good 'un!

7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Praying for your quick recovery.

8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I'm glad I'm focusing on the ATG pass this month. It is getting to the point where I don't have to think about it anymore. I'm getting very nice shaves. I have to admit it gets a little boring using the same gear every day while I'm on the road. I'm looking forward to switching gear on Saturday.
    Travel SOTD
    Drygulch Strop
    Palmolive Shave Stick
    AoS Pure Badger Brush
    Tuckmar Razor
    Mennen Skin Bracer After Shave
    Have a great day![​IMG]

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim.

10. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

SEptember 14th
    Schick E3 w PAL
    TGN Boar
    Soap Commander Endurance
    Thayers
    Stirling Spice Balm
    image.jpg
    The shaves keep rolling with the E3. Went with the Endurance and Stirling Spice to compare scents with the P&G Old Spice I used yesterday. Love the scent and performance of the Endurance. All 4 of my products that are based on some sort of Old Spice (these mentioned plus Barrister's Reserve Spice) are definitely subtlely different from one another. I know I have my favourite at this point but will come back to a few of these. I had a little less time than usual and didn't do any touchups, but still had 3 nice passes for a DFS.
    Have a great day all!

11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I found this morning that the Gillette Foamy Menthol helped bring out the fragrance of the Stirling Sandpiper in a real good way. Course I know Sandpiper soap would too, but it's nice that a canned cream/foam did, as well.

12. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

September 14, 2017- Audition for OCtober

Razor: English Gillette Round-Pin Flat-Bottom New
    Blade: Astra SP(1)
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft 22
    Cream: KMF fragrance-free

Today was the first shave with a newly-acquired English New. It's one of those strange English Gillette razors which has no US counterpart. This one hails, I assume, from right after WWII and is only my second English Gillette. The Astra SP was chosen as it is a nice, mild blade and is my usual choice for trying out a new razor.

I was a bit worried about how this razor would do, but it turns out that I needn't have worried. Overall, this first shave showed it to be a mild but efficient razor much like a good Tech. The pairing with the Astra SP was almost deceptively mild and led to an easy BBS with no issues.

This should be an interesting razor for next month. I'm particularly curious to see how it compares to a US-made New LC.
    IMG_0112.JPG

13. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I always think its cool to see razors I have rehomed in other people's photos. @mrchick has a few razors that used to be mine that I am glad to see are doing well. When @Linuxguile posted his Schick F type, I almost commented on the fact that he is the third one on the 30DC to have posted pictures of that beauty. It makes me glad they are being appreciated.

14. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

SOTD 9/14/17
    Razor: Koraat 8/8 bellied hollow with horn scales
    Strop: Drygulch Leatherworks Horsehide/Linen
    Brush: Aluminum Handle w/ 28mm Ubersoft II knot
    Soap: Eufros (Jabonman) Dama de Noche
    Aftershave: Jabonman Dama de Noche Balm

So I wanted to start today with a shave, since I haven’t had a chance to for three days. Decided to go with my Koraat 8/8. The Dama de Noche soap is slowly being used up. I have been using this one every other shave as I rotate through my 26 soaps. It makes a great lather, especially with the big synthetic. First few strokes on my cheek told me this razor needs a little touch up. I grabbed the Swatty barber’s hone I keep in the bathroom, slapped some lather on it, and did a few strokes, then went to my Chromium Oxide pasted strop, and the regular one. Managed to get the edge more keen, but it was more harsh than I like. This razor will hit a finishing stone before it gets used again. Did three passes for a bloodless, smooth DFS. Alum was silent, even with the harshness. I do like the Jabonman balm, as it has a pretty heavy dose of menthol. I have about another week of 12-13 hour days before work calms down, but at least I have a good shave today. I have been keeping up with the thread, but not posting much. Glad everyone is safe, even if there is some rebuilding to do.
    IMG_7194.jpg

15. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Cool photo, Jim! and very nice C3
    What is your favorite Stirling Cologne scent Perry? So far I've tried Executive Man, Baker Street, Spice, and Mountain Man. And have soap samples of Dunshire, Sandpiper, SDM, Noir, and Blu waiting in the wings. So far EM is my favorite but Baker Street and MM are really good too
    Great photo, Clint! The Soap Destroyer strikes again.
    Very cool, Brian!
    Its kinda crazy that Old Spice is so iconic that nearly every artisan out there has their own take on it.
    The razor looks amazing John, Cant wait to hear how it compares to the US New!

16. Linuxguile

That makes me kinda curious Adam, who had it before you ? Its a fabulous little razor and I am delighted to have it in my collection!
    That is one wicked looking blade Adam!

FaceScraper, mrchick, RyX and 3 others like this.
  17. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I traded for it with @mrchick from when he found the motherload of vintage razors. (The first big one he hit on, not the ones since.)

18. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I've tried Executive Man, Baker Street, Mountain Man, Sharp Dressed Man, Dunshire, Sandpiper, Piacenza, Ozark Mountain and some of the citrus and menthol soaps. That's a tough question! Executive Man is great but I also have Fine Platinum which is the same scent. I say that out of all of those I've tried Sandpiper might be my favorite. It's unique and really nice. There are still plenty to try!

19. Linuxguile

Was that the one with the Toggle in the Valet case ? He's has so many big scores its hard to keep track!

20. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Phenomenal looking razor and pic, Jim!