Shampoo Bars (everything you wanted to know, but were afraid to ask).

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by richgem, May 11, 2012.

1. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

I like the herb garden but the nettle was too drying. Has any frequent users of chagrin valley noticed the bars are smaller? I swear herb garden used to be 7oz and is now 5.8oz.

2. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

How is the lemon rinse done? Take a half a lemon to the shower?

3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I mix lemon juice &water (1:1) in a squirt bottle.

Boojum1 likes this.
  4. Boojum1

I really love the Dogfish Head Shampoo Bar. :signs015:

IMG_0643.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Cool! Have you been using it long?

Boojum1 likes this.
  6. Razorsnake

Razorsnake New Member

Your effort is appreciated,Great information.Thank you.

richgem likes this.
  7. Boojum1

Sara,
    Sorry, I haven't checked this thread in a while. Yes, for about a month. I love the DFH Shampoo Bar. It's a great scent and really leaves my hair feeling squeaky clean.

8. Raktageno

Raktageno Member

Since we're updating, I just ordered my second round of chagrin valley shampoo bars. I'm not looking back. Before, I got samples, but this time I got a full size bar of the herb garden, as well as samples of the "extra honey beer" and "carrot honey complexion" bars. They sounded cool, and I knew the shipping would be the same anyway.

Reviews so far are definitely heavy in the 'pro' category. I love the smell of most, the feel of a bar for some reason rather than a goop, and my hair seems to be doing well. Cons, well I don't care for the smell of the Ayurvedic herb, it's kind of chemically. Other than that, I would say that, with all your being, you should do every possible thing you can to keep it out of your eyes. They will burn as if liquefying in your skull.

Overall, love it.

richgem likes this.
  9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Welcome back to TSD... I keep hearing you on the "Trek-cast" tho. Still, nice to see you here!

That smell does take a lot of getting used to. I think it's the neem and it definitely has a unique and off putting scent when not mixed with enough other things.

And yes, that stuff does burn in the eyes. But, some smart-arsed penguin already mentioned that. :innocent

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I used my FIRST ever shampoo bar this weekend. Wife & I attended a craft fair on Saturday and one of the first vendor tents was run by a young woman selling her homemade soaps.
    She had on display a variety of bath & hand soaps (the majority of her wares), and two shampoo bars and ONE shave soap puck. I bought the solo shave soap (naturally), herbal-scented; and her mint-scented shampoo bar.
    First use of the shampoo bar was that evening: rich lathering soap with a pleasingly-mild clean minty scent. My hair was quite soft afterwards and my wife didn't object to any lingering mint-head......

Boojum1 and richgem like this.
  11. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

I like the Herb Garden, especially the scent! What I don't like is the size reduction in bars for the same price :( My grocery store just started carrying Morning Song Garden soaps which include two shampoo bars. The price was good and the product seemed solid so I picked them both up, lavender and unscented. I like the unscented but I haven't tried the lavender, although I'm not overly fond of the scent.

12. Heather

Heather New Member

Wow. Thanks for that awesome write-up. I happened to find it while searching the net after making my first shampoo bar purchase. I bought mine from Basin, and so far my hair is happy and doesn't feel as dry.

richgem likes this.
  13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I wanted to know more about shampoo bars, but I was, well….you know…afraid to ask. :p

Actually I've been using my first shampoo bar (listed above) daily and have had no disagreeable results. Minty-fresh!
    I have learned the hard way to make sure not to get ANY of the lather in my eyes….
    :signs131:

Boojum1 and richgem like this.
  14. richgem

In case you missed it above, the bars from Basin DO contain SLS. In case that's of concern for you.

15. Raktageno

Raktageno Member

Richgem, do you chop your chagrin valley bars into smaller ones?

16. richgem

Nope. Never crossed my mind.

17. Raktageno

Raktageno Member

I have a full sized herb garden bar. It's gigantic.

18. richgem

They are a hefty size, but they fit just fine in my soap dish, so I never bothered. For travel, I either get a CV sample size or just wait until one has worn down a bit.

Raktageno likes this.
  19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

The bars I buy from RoseofSharonAcres is a good size for the house, but I find that I have to cut it in half for travel. Half a bar fits in my travel soap dish.

20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I order my soap in a 5 lb loaf from RoseofSharonAcres. I just ordered my second loaf, 2 years after buying my first. A loaf yields 16 bars, which tells me that I am getting about a month & a half of use from each 5 ounce bar. Pretty good, given my long, thick hair.

richgem likes this.