Shark razor blades YUK!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Geo, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Geo

Geo Active Member

Hiya guys,

Well just had 2 shaves with the Shark razor blades. I will not be using them again. OUCH! They tug and pull was a bear to shave ATG and had some irritation.

I bought the Sharks, to be honest, I liked the packaging and I do like the fact they do not use wax on the blade itself but other than that not a good experience with them.

I tried the first blade and got a bad shave wasn't as close as the shave I got with the Astra SP so I popped in a new blade on the second shave thinking I may have got a bad blade but nope same shave as first.

Soooo so far Astra SP's are a keeper and Sharks are out. Next on my list, are Derby's. Hopefuly, they will be of a better quality for me if not no biggie I have Lords Platinums, and Crown to try as well. If those fail there are plenty more to try but I probably will order some more Astra SP as they do give me a really great shave.

Goes to show you though, you have try it yourself to really find out if something works or not. Sharks got a 4.5 star review when I looked into them. Many people like them but no a good match for me.

2. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

My sampler pack didn't have any of those. I wouldn't mind trying one if you wanted to drop one in the mail :D

3. Geo

Geo Active Member

youngunn,

sure drop me your add I will send ya the couple I have left np.

4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Astra SP seems to be a good blade for lots of people and they're available at a great price too - about $9/100 shipped on Amazon. Not sure which Shark you tried but I wasn't impressed with the SS blades. I haven't tried the SC's but I may just not bother.

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

YMMV for sure. We got good results with Shark, even when Hubby & I were first learning to use DE. It's second on my list after Feather. So Geo, good on you, for passing them along. Lots of other people love blades I can't stand and this is, no doubt true for just about any blade you could name.

6. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I like Sharks, but can't stand Astra blades. YMMV and all.

PanChango likes this.
  7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Same here.

8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Blades are definately a "YMMV" kind of thing which makes reviews on them kinda funny...:) I found the sharks to be pretty good blades,till I tried some BlueBirds and then the Astra Sp's(Wonderful blade). But I just had to keep going :happy102:.. So then I tried the PolSilver Super Iridiums man what "GREAT" blades!! Sharp, smooth,long lasting(7 days+), irritation free shaves! :happy088: Only fly in the ointment the PRICE. They hang out in Feather territory....:(

Oh and good luck with the Derbies....Some people like them, I found them to basically suck....But as we all know YMMV....:)

9. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

At first I liked sharks and I ordered 25more, then about 10 blades in I decided I did not. Now I have 25 Astra to find out if I really like these. I have also found the BigBen razors to be similar to the Astras.

10. Geo

Geo Active Member

Well I just ordered the 100 pack of Astras from Amazon for 9 bucks out the door and NO you can not beat that price with a stick. Thats just about a years worth of shaving. I will give the other blades I have a shot. When I find something that I'am really happy with I tend to be pretty loyal as I find no need to keep searching for something better. I guess that kinda thinking puts a damper on my RAD :D

11. feeltheburn

Good luck with that :). I like your avatar Geo. Any significance to the Flying Tigers P-40? Great little piece of history there.

12. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Have had good results from the Shark Chrome but not the Shark Super Stainless..the nifty package is the same, but the blade are different variants, believe it or not. Not sure which you tried. Derby agrees but not Astra. As the people have said, blades are an individual thing and your millage may indeed vary..and welcome to TSD..shave long and prosper.. spkkohand.png

13. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I hate Astras and Sharks. YMMV. I do however love Bluebirds, Personna Lab/Med Prep blades, and Feather blades.

14. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

So the Sharks bit you? They gave me lousy shaves and the Astras were not a whole lot better.

15. Geo

Geo Active Member

Brian,

No real significane or ties to the AVG I am just a history buff and love aviation. In fact soo much so I got my pilots license in 2005. The P-40 is my all time favorite plane right up there with the Sopwith Camel :)

feeltheburn likes this.
  16. feeltheburn

Claire Chennault was a pretty interesting character and I love the story of the Flying Tigers. I'm not sure I could pick a favorite plane but I do have a big painting of a P-51, which was based on the P-40, hanging in my dining room. :)

17. Geo

Geo Active Member

Indeed he was. Would have loved to have been a pilot with them or an RAF pilot or something. History alwasy seems soo much cooler than now LOL

18. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Just had a shave with the shark in my merkur 34c. I'd say they're just ok. Not nearly as sharp as the feather I just finished, I needed to use a 3rd pass on my chin.

19. Kevin K

Kevin K Well-Known Member

It's kinda funny. When I started DE shaving 8 months ago I used Sharks because they came free with the razor. I got a far superior shave than any cartridge, so I was extremely happy with them. Then I got a blade sampler and realized that, for me, there's far better blades than the Sharks. I decided not to use them anymore considering the alternatives. Now my technique is better and I have more razors. For completeness, I've ordered Sharks again and now they're not so bad in the razor that I first used them in.

I guess the moral of the story is if you're new to wetshaving, don't discount any particular blade as bad. Come back to it when you have more experience and reevaluate it.

20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That's good advice. In fact, that is also why I started with Sharks. Upon a later revisit, I did find them pretty good, but not quite my favorite.

Robyflexx likes this.