Shark (Super Chrome - Super Stainless) review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bookworm, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

As there isn't a sub-forum just for razor blades, I figure that this review belongs here.

The title above is because they're Super Chrome, but both sides of the blade say 'Super Chrome' and 'Super Stainless'.

Based on 1) price, and 2) some reviews elsewhere, I picked up a 100 pack of Sharks. I figured that it was about the same price as picking up a single 5 or 10 pack from CVS, so I wouldn't have an issue with disposing of them.

First shave with one was tonight. Arko, lathered on the puck (squash) with plenty of water, 40's SuperSpeed. I did _not_ take any special care with the blade or razor, and had two days of growth. I just did a normal quick two pass shave without paying any real attention to the blade angle.

Good shave. No nicks, the Aqua Velva burned a bit, but no real residual pain, BBS in a lot of spots, but mostly just a good shave.

For (mostly) the women, I'll say that the Shark and this razor are FANTASTIC for the underarms. (Due to body chemistry, I shave those reasonably regularly, which keeps the odour down or eliminated) I had ZERO issues running the blade quickly across the armpits, even though I didn't bother with a brush or Arko, and just lathered up some Shugar Soapworks Oatmeal and Verbena soap. If nothing else, I may leave a razor in my shower loaded with a Shark just for that reason.

I'll use it again tomorrow or the next day and see how well it works out for a second shave. Then I'll either put it in another razor, or switch to a different blade and repeat the test - probably one of the 'maybe' Dorco's from Dollar General/Family Dollar.

----

The second shave wasn't quite as good as the first, but that could have been the soap more than anything else.

----
    Next Shave, approximately 2 weeks later.

I pulled out a victim of my RAD from the previous week and inserted a Shark. The victim? A genuine nickel plated, fully illuminated, triangle holed, fat handled, non dated Tech. My face? Three days not shaven.

It took four passes to clean up my face, but zero burn, no nicks, and even able to do ATG under the nose. I would definitely say that this is a good combo, but best for a daily shaver, not for a 'I forgot for a week'. Maybe in a FaTip Piccolo or a Senator. I'm going to be trying a Derby in one of those next.

sharksmall.jpg
    (Apologies for the picture size. I can't find the original photo right now)
    Edit - adding a link to the full sized photo.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

The Shark works really well in my EJ DE89BL. I get consistently good shaves over my shave week(Sunday-Friday).

FaceScraper likes this.
  3. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I found both Shark variants to be brutal. Consider yourself lucky that they worked for you because it means that plenty of other inexpensive blades will probably work for you as well. I'd be curious to hear your opinions on other blades.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  4. Bookworm

What I've found, in general, is that the 'horrible' blades work pretty well in three piece razors. Specifically, the fat handle post war Techs, but I stuck a shark in another one (i'll do a quickie review in a few minutes) and it did a better job than I expected. I need to get a better camera that I can run directly from my laptop for photos.

Demidog likes this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Good review!

6. RetLEO-07

The Shark Super Chrome works well for me in my '52 Super Speed Black Tip. As a matter of fact it's a dead heat between it and the Voskhod. I just finished auditioning it in my '66 Schick Krona. Gave me a solid week(Sunday to Friday) of shaves. Mostly DFS with a BBS thrown in. As with all blades YMMV.

FaceScraper likes this.
  7. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

I don't have the Super Chrome, but the Super Stainless. I don't know how much difference there is between the two (I'm sure they're the same, just a different coating), maybe someone who has experience with both can chime in. But, like you, they worked out fabulous for me in my Baxter of California razor - which is the same as a Muhle R89, which is about the same as the EJ DE89...

I am still working my way through my sampler, however, if this were the only blade I could buy, that would be fine with me!

8. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I haven't tried the Super Stainless, but the Super Chromes are a good blade.

FaceScraper likes this.
  9. Bookworm

What's strange is that as you can see if you zoom in on the picture I posted, you'll see Super Chrome/ Super Stainless. Here's an enlarged photo.
    The box says "Super chrome Blades", but I suspect they only _have_ one blade, just two boxes. As for Voskhod - I had a terrible experience with it, in three different razors. Worst blade I've ever used. Even Cloud was better. (Well, Cloud actually works pretty nicely. If someone said I could only use that blade, I'd be okay with it )

[​IMG]

Enrico likes this.
  10. RetLEO-07

I've found you can't go wrong with Russian steel either(Voskhod, GSB et al). Have fun!

FaceScraper likes this.
  11. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Weird...when you posted that pic, I had to go look at mine...
    [​IMG]
    The back side has "Shark" on top and "Super Chrome on bottom. Weird.

12. FaceScraper

I'm certain that they're the exact same blade. My assumption (you know what happens when ya assume though) is the chrome just gets a spray of coating.

13. FaceScraper

I'll be ordering more blades at some point and Voskhod will be one of them. They seem to be a "love it or hate it" blade, if you go by the reviews. Then again, that's pretty much any blade!

14. FaceScraper

They may have just changed the printing on the blades....I hope that's all they did to 'em!

15. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the difference is but there definitely is a difference the Super Chromes are smoother but not as sharp and the Super Stainless is sharper but dulls quicker and is less smooth. Personally I prefer the Super Stainless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. FaceScraper

I had a suspicion that they'd feel a little smoother. I don't have any of the Chromes right now, but eventually I'll get some to try out. Either way, they're cheap enough in bulk!

17. matteob

matteob Active Member

I've not tried the Super Chrome but the Super Stainless and Platinum blades have givem me very comfortable shaves in a Parker 24C and Merkur 37 C slant. The factory was set up by Wilkinson Sword I think so the manufacturing process should be good. DE blades are still hugely popular in the middle east and they sell millions of these in Egypt.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  18. capsfanx

capsfanx Well-Known Member

Tried one of these this morning. Was definitely smooth but I like a sharper blade I have come to find out. At least in my Merkur 34C which is the only razor I have so far. I messed up and bought a 100 without trying them first,lol. But I will give them to my son and dad though. They have just gotten into it as well and like the blades that are not as sharp

19. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Try the Super Stainless for a sharper blade with a similar feel

capsfanx likes this.
  20. matteob

matteob Active Member

Yea I think the Super Stainless has a bit more sharpness. It's confusing when the packaging is identical. The more expensive Platinums are great too.