Sharpest SE Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

What brand of SE blade is really good and sharp? So far. I have used the GEM brand, and Treet. I don't care for the GEMs at all, but I do like the Treets, however, I would still like something a little sharper. Suggestions?

2. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

Blue Stars are very sharp,but I only get two shaves out of a blade before they get dull.The Ted Pella's have a good reputation,allthough you have to purchase 200 at a time.

3. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Have you used the Treet blades? If so, would you say that the Blue Stars are sharper?

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I only use Pellas. If you want to try them PM me your address and I will send you a couple.

5. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Try Feather SEs. I know that they can be ordered in the 100s from a website in Japan. Myself and one other member were looking to get a few but, the price Is too great.

I have heard that Pellas are good but I use Personna Blue. Get 4 may 6 shaves out of 1 blade.

6. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I have a 100-pak of "American Line" by Personna. Paint department at Lowe's, etc. They are PERFECT for scraping paint and removing the foil from a wine bottle! Why else would one want a single edge blade? :D

7. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I'll remember those next time I have some dried paint stuck to my face. :rolleyes:

8. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Glad I could help. :whacky011

9. I cannot imagine any more worthy use of a blade than this !!

Cheers

10. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

That's why I love you, man! :D

11. ajsaxs

ajsaxs Active Member

Gem Blades

I like the Treet Blades.

The Blue Star and Pal Supers are sharper.

12. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Rick,

I have found the GEM Blue Stars to be okay but I get my best shaves with the GEM Super Stainless by Personna. Get them from Giovanni at Tryphon.

Have not tried the Pella blades but just got a few of them from a friend to try who has found them to be great.

13. riffin

riffin Active Member

I heard Pellas were for slicing tissue specimens. Is that not correct?

Will the SE from Feather fit in a GEM razor?

Hey, Blue, if you're going to try those Feathers, let me know. I've have a suspicion that they may fit in a Valet razor and has been wanting to try them.

14. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

The feathers come in the same measurements as a regular razor. I believe they are spineless but a shim of a spine from another SE will work. If there are enough people interested I can let my source now and we can all go in. it will probably be close to $100 for the shipping and handling and razors from Japan. I think the razors are $60 100 and the shipping is about $40 or $50 bucks.

PM me to see if we have enough people to get an order together.

15. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

I wonder what razors the Japanese make these blades for.I don't think Gem's are commonly used over there?:confused:I could be wrong though.

16. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

They use them for medical specimens etc. SHaving really thin slices. This is why they do not have a spine.

17. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

But are they good to shave with? Wouldn't dissection blades and shaving blades be honed differently?

18. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Dissection blades arent good for shaving. Generally shaving blades are coated and honed differently. I've never seen spineless blades in any of my labs for slicing tissue samples or anything else.

19. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I am guessing at the specimen thing because feather makes all kinds of surgical stuff. I have never seen a Japanese SE. They are made of the same material as the DE with the same coatings etc..

BTW - Bable fish the website for the Feather SEs it will make more sense.

20. riffin

riffin Active Member

Gold Tone made spineless SE GEM replacement blades for shaving. I have some vintage NOS. They fit in my Razac.

[​IMG]