Sharpest SE Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Pauldog

Pauldog New Member

OK, then I'm going to do this with the bulk cartons. My guy in Japan may handle the orders directly. I showed him this thread, and if he does it himself, he'll post something here. Otherwise, I'll take care of the orders.

2. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Just let us know when they get in.

3. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I'll go for 10-20 of these, Paul, just post the buying instructions when you get everything solidified.

4. JimR

JimR Active Member

It tickles me no end that I am someone's "Guy in Japan."

I feel like a spy or something.:cool:

Also, I want to make it completely clear--the red "Hi-Stainless" Feather Single edges are shaving razors.

5. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Thanks Jim. That was the important piece of info that I was wanting to hear.

6. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

The eagle has landed.

The razors are in the Falcon.

Spy.? A Shave spy maybe?

7. Pauldog

Pauldog New Member

Jim mailed them to me recently, so I should get them by around Oct. 20.

I got about 300 in bulk, with no spine, so you'll either need to use only certain razors (the Micromatic models will work) or "borrow" a spine from a used Gem blade.

I was about to say that I hope they really fit, but I could ask Jim that, since he has some of these blades, he has a Gem razor, and a spare spine.

Jim, do they fit? Did you shave with one yet?

8. JimR

JimR Active Member

I got one to fit with the spine perfectly. I also cut the crap out of myself doing it, so i put them down very far away from me.
    I'll report back on the micromatic later, when my thumb and pride have healed.

9. Pauldog

Pauldog New Member

I was able to remove a spine without hurting myself, so I should be able to install one safely, too.

Apparently this blade will not fit the Micromatic, but with a spine, it should fit almost any other single edge razor, and should fit some Valet razors without a spine.

That means that you'll need to get a spine from an old blade to use these blades.

Is that a problem for anyone?

10. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Arghh -- I don't like the sound of "It should fit almost any other single edge razor", and I really don't want to mess around with putting a spine on a blade that sharp. I know I kind of started this, but I thought they would fit properly without alteration -- in other words, I'm out. Sorry Paul. :(

11. riffin

riffin Active Member

No worries. I'll take 'em. You were in for 20? or 30?

12. Pauldog

Pauldog New Member

I'm getting close to 300 blades, so quantity is not a problem.

I had been assuming that they would work in a Micromatic, but the Feather blades don't have certain notches in the right places. The Micromatic is different from other SE razors, because it uses notches in the blade to lock it in place.

Almost all other SE razors either hold the blade by

1) Friction (the oldest razors, meant to use wedge blades)

or

2) By pressing the spine with a spring action lever, which pushes the edge onto a couple of stops.

I had one older Gem razor fail through loosening of that spring action, so you need to make sure your blade is held tightly. This problem is rare in practice, and is exacerbated by tinkering with the razor's mechanism.

There will probably be some razors that will hold the Feather blade all right even without the spine. Once the blades arrive, I'll try them with the SE razors I have.

13. riffin

riffin Active Member

Me also. I've been wanting to try my Valets with a fresh blade instead of a NOS (or worse). I'll also try them in my Razac and GEMs.

[​IMG]
    Razac with GoldTone SE blade.

14. riffin

riffin Active Member

What the status of the FHS-5's? Are they ready for sale yet? Thanks Paul!

15. Pauldog

Pauldog New Member

I got the blades, but I won't be selling until I catch up on back orders I didn't take care of when I had the flu earlier this month. I'll probably be posting the sale information next week. In the meantime, make do with your Gem blades!

16. riffin

riffin Active Member

No problem, no rush! I'll do the best I can with the GEMs, but I don't think they'll fit in my Valet! :happy102

17. Pauldog

Pauldog New Member