Shave Balm

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Kenneth Sampson, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Kenneth Sampson

Kenneth Sampson Well-Known Member

Does anyone use aftershave balm on days they don't shave? I was thinking that if the shave balm is supposed to help the skin after shaving, couldn't it continue to help even when not shaving? Especially is there is some razor burn involved.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

SharptoothC likes this.
  2. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I use Nivea Sensitive Skin balm on off days, though off days are rare.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I shave daily, and usually use a balm, although sometimes I forget. So, there are no days off.

Sent via mobile - Chris

4. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I use a couple of different ones; Nivea White (Sensitive), and Proraso Blue (Aloe and Vitamin E). The Nivea has a very subtle, clean scent that doesn't interfere with colognes or splashes. The Proraso is more fragrant, but is still pretty nondescript. Nivea is thinner and dissipates faster. Proraso Blue is a heavier lotion. Both work really well to soothe and moisturize. Nivea is around $US6.00 at big box stores.

5. Kenneth Sampson

I was going to give my neck a couple days rest since I've been trying different ways to shave it since my hair grows in 1000 different directions, and it seems thicker than the hair on my face, but normally I shave daily.

Terry Williams likes this.
  6. Kenneth Sampson

I have Lather & Wood which I love the scent. My wife, not so much so she bought me Caffeine balm, and a cooling balm which arent so bad. The Caffeine doesn't have witch hazel and burns a little more than the other two, and it Smells like double mint gum. Lol

RyX likes this.
  7. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I ordered a sample of Proraso Blue from Maggard's Razors and refill it from the standard 100ml offering. I use the sample bottles at work and when I travel. I apply it anytime my face feels, dry, tight, itchy, burn-y, etc.
    https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/proraso-alcohol-free-aftershave-balm-aloe-and-vitamin-e-100ml/
    https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/individual-aftershave-balm-samples/

Kenneth Sampson likes this.
  8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I really enjoy Nivea Sensitive balm. I have used it on occasion on a no shave day for face lotion. Sometimes, particularly this time of year, I'll put a little bit all over my face for moisturizing benefits.

9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Developing techniques that don't induce razor burn is the most direct strategy to help the skin. I relied upon balm and pso while learning, but now with better techniques, irritation is very rare. I took a while for me to realize that more products weren't always the best solution.

10. Kenneth Sampson

Yeah. I'm working on technique. I can get my face smooth as silk without issue. Just working on my neck. I've only been at this for a month. I got a razor in the mail today that did a great job on my neck, but the irritation was already there. The hair on my neck grows sideways and I tried ATG last night with a DE and it was rough. XTG wasn't bad, but it didn't leave the results I wanted.

11. Bama Samurai

Maybe you should adjust your expectation? If the neck looks clean shaven for a work day, it is. Don't chase the baby too often! Your experience is normal.

12. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

It is very seldom that I miss a day of shaving, but in the wintertime when I am fighting dry skin I have put balm or lotion on in between shaves just as a moisturizer.

As far as soothing irritation between shaves, I would say go for it. If it calms, what can it hurt?

Have you tried doing like a forty five degree, in between an ATG and a XTG? The bottom of my neck grows almost completely flat to my neck, so I feel your joy.

13. Kenneth Sampson

I've never experienced razor burn so it's all new to me. With a cart razor I could shave circles without irritation and I've been trying to meet that. I don't have sensitive skin, but I think that when I tried to get it with a DE my angle was off and I keep irritating it. I didn't even get irritation with the shavette before moving to straights. I like the DE for quick shaves, so I thought I'd try to get that down.

RyX, Bama Samurai and PickledNorthern like this.
  14. PickledNorthern

If you can get it with a cart and no razor burn, you should get it pretty easily with a DE. Honestly, of all the razors I use, from DE to injectors to shavettes, DE's are the hardest for me to get comfortable BBS on my neck. Injectors are probably the most comfortable shavers for me, all the way around, followed by shavettes.

15. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Yea I use balm sometimes if I take a day off from shaving. Most balms are great for your skin and can help with any dry skin or to just moisturize.

16. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Nivea Sensitive, Pre de Provence ASB, Proraso White or Green ASB are my favourites. Especially in winter.

17. Bama Samurai

You self diagnosed correctly. Angle was the culprit with DE. Maybe you're like me, Shavette and SR is the only true comfy BBS.

18. Kenneth Sampson

Alright. Thought I would update this. I haven't shaved since Monday. Not really by choice but the fact that I thought I was dying with the flu and didn't get off the couch all week. I did however feel human again and decided it was time to tackle the beast. I picked up a straight and it wasn't performing too well on 4 days of growth so I pulled out the Gilette safety razor with a Dorco blade in it and it went very smoothly. I was a little concerned with the neck, since that is where all my problem was. Gotta say it was smooth. No irritation, pulling, or frustration. Got WTG, XTG, and ATG. Cleaned up my beard lines, and a quick clean up on the neck with my shorty straight and all was good. I guess letting My neck heal was the way to go. I wasn't getting a comfortable shave before because of the irritation being already present.

After a week of hell, it was nice to end it with a top quality shave.

19. PickledNorthern

Glad you are feeling better. And you are probably right. Sometimes all a guy needs is to heal up and start with a clean slate.

20. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I can't wait until I'm consistent enough not to need different products it's the lower neck that still gets me at least twice a week. Better than carts which caused my neck to break out every other shave but still annoying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry Williams likes this.